Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just visited the local gun show this morning mainly looking to pick up some primers. I rarely go anymore because the prices are through the roof. I've mentioned this before, but I've been shooting and reloading for over 30 years and can't help but compare prices to what I paid just 6-7 years ago.
Anyway, I came across a like new stainless 24/7 in 45 w/o box for $299 and a 24/7 G2 with box and three mags for the same price. Both were used but the G2 had what looked like heavy holster wear and a nick at the front of the slide. Although I already have a 24/7 OSS in 45, I was temped by the stainless one, but I remember seeing these at the same gun show a couple of years back for $275-300 new. That, and the fact that I was informed yesterday that the company I work for will be closing at the end of July tempered my enthusiasm. I've got to go back today for something else so there is a slight possibility I might get drawn to that table again.
BTW... Primers are selling at $29/K, not bad, but the last time I stocked up I paid less than half that.:)

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
That gun is singing the siren's song, calling you to come and free her from that dealer's
table to take you to a world of shooter's nirvana! Seriously, that sounds like a good deal
and I would take a second look at that. You can't have too many of a good thing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I think until I open one of my gun safes and see my collection sitting there. I need to learn how to either trade or sell something.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sorry to hear the news about your job situation and hope you find something even better before the old job goes away. I agree that it is hard to decide on a used deal sometimes. My LGS has a used 24/7 G2 in .45 and stainless for sale. It too is without box and only has the large backstrap, but it comes with 4 mags, which are kind of hard to find right now. Their price is $340, but I haven't bitten yet. I bought a NIB 24/7 G2 in .40 at Academy last night for $400, so I'm not in a hurry on the .45.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If the employment situation is looking a little flakey, you're wise to wait. When you're looking at potential unemployment it's not the time to be buying 'luxury' items. And if you've already got the means to defend yourself, it's a luxury. You can always buy them later when everything is copacetic. My $.02

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If the employment situation is looking a little flakey, you're wise to wait. When you're looking at potential unemployment it's not the time to be buying 'luxury' items. And if you've already got the means to defend yourself, it's a luxury. You can always buy them later when everything is copacetic. My $.02
It would indeed be a luxury, not a need. For the last several years i've told myself to start divesting my inventory of the guns i've bought over the last 30+ years. (I'm 56) I don't get out to shoot enough to enjoy all of the rifles and handguns sitting in the gun cabinets. My personality is such that I don't enjoy haggling and bartering like so do.

I had to stop back at the gun show yesterday to exchange something and I happened to walk past the table with the two aforementioned Taurus pistols. Although they were calling out to me to stop, I just kept walking. Did I mention there was a new PT145 stainless at another dealers table for just $355? That's less than what I paid for mine. Gotta... resist... the... temptation.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
24,966 Posts
Stay cool and work on the job search.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well if you ever decide your collection needs consolidated I'm down here in southeast iowa and may be able to help ya. And I hope all works out well with ya job situation. Good luck

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
It would indeed be a luxury, not a deed. For the last several years i've told myself to start divesting my inventory of the guns i've bought over the last 30+ years. (I'm 56) I don't get out to shoot enough to enjoy all of the rifles and handguns sitting in the gun cabinets. My personality is such that I don't enjoy haggling and bartering like so do.

I had to stop back at the gun show yesterday to exchange something and I happened to walk past the table with the two aforementioned Taurus pistols. Although they were calling out to me to stop, I just kept walking. Did I mention there was a new PT145 stainless at another dealers table for just $355? That's less than what I paid for mine. Gotta... resist... the... temptation.
You've got a couple years on me, but not many. We're getting to that stage in our employment career where age is no longer a plus on an employment application. Although once employed we do have that magical over fifty 'protected' status. For whatever that's worth. :D

I'll tell you a story, and maybe it will make you feel a bit better about the whole situation. I fell on financial hard times some years back, and I had to liquidate an extensive collection. Couple of Pythons, a Diamondback, a bunch of S&W's, Brownings, Colts - there was some NICE stuff there. And it hurt to let 'em go. But having done it, my view of firearms is very different than it used to be.

These days I limit my pistol calibers to 45 acp, 9mm, and 22LR, and when I feel myself getting the urge to buy another pistol I tell myself I've already got pistols in that caliber, and I need to shoot the ones I've got more. Then I go to the range. Instead of drooling over a new pistol I start thinking about the next range trip, and it gets my mind off buying more of what I already have. And actually shooting usually reminds me of why I bought what I have to begin with. BION it actually works - the urge to buy goes away pretty quickly. I've managed to limit the size of my collection that way - and my cleaning chores as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've got a couple years on me, but not many. We're getting to that stage in our employment career where age is no longer a plus on an employment application. Although once employed we do have that magical over fifty 'protected' status. For whatever that's worth. :D

I'll tell you a story, and maybe it will make you feel a bit better about the whole situation. I fell on financial hard times some years back, and I had to liquidate an extensive collection. Couple of Pythons, a Diamondback, a bunch of S&W's, Brownings, Colts - there was some NICE stuff there. And it hurt to let 'em go. But having done it, my view of firearms is very different than it used to be.

These days I limit my pistol calibers to 45 acp, 9mm, and 22LR, and when I feel myself getting the urge to buy another pistol I tell myself I've already got pistols in that caliber, and I need to shoot the ones I've got more. Then I go to the range. Instead of drooling over a new pistol I start thinking about the next range trip, and it gets my mind off buying more of what I already have. And actually shooting usually reminds me of why I bought what I have to begin with. BION it actually works - the urge to buy goes away pretty quickly. I've managed to limit the size of my collection that way - and my cleaning chores as well.
That's the mindset I'd like to cultivate, being happy with less. I don't want to go all Zen like, but I think mankind would be better off with a minimalist approach to life. I know I would. It's just that first step is the hardest.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That's the mindset I'd like to cultivate, being happy with less. I don't want to go all Zen like, but I think mankind would be better off with a minimalist approach to life. I know I would. It's just that first step is the hardest.
It's like keeping a secret. If you can resist the temptation to tell that first person, you've got the battle mostly licked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts