Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small gun safe for my home defense pistol. I has a digital keypad and a key backup.

It is bolted to my floor under my bed.

I just today came under the realization, that it will not open if I am ON the bed. I installed it and tested it with me next to the bed, the door of the safe came about 1/4" inch from the bottom of the bed frame. I assumed everything would be okay.

Just this morning, I got to thinking, and tried to open it while the wife and I were on the bed. The door did not clear the bed frame.

Just got me to thinking if I needed the weapon in an emergency situation what would happen.

I made a bracket and installed the safe to the bed instead of to the floor. So this way, it is not going to be encumbered.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
You could also raise the bed a little bit. A piece of 1x3 under each leg will raise the bed 3/4" which should be enough. I'd thought about it as I have some storage containers there that are a pain to remove.

Good thinking to check it before you really needed access to the contents!

Steelheart

·
Registered
60 Posts
Commercially you can also get a set of 4 lifters that look like upside down flower pots of heavy fiberglass for less than 5.00 . My wife had a pair under our bed a couple years back until she noticed it made it unsafe for the dog to jump off of.

I would respectfully suggest not just having a "tight" clearance of a fraction of an inch . Sad fact is that in a crisis the average person gets a bit nervous and needs a little extra "fumble room".

Respectfully- Brizz

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't have one of those small safes....I have a large stack-on cabinet, it's inside my closet, in my bedroom. but if you don't have kids, and it's just you and your wife, do what I do. I only lockup my firearm if no one is going to be home. when I'm home, I live leave gun Cabinet unlocked, and at nights, I put my handgun next to my bed (then lock it back up in the morning, when I'm off to work). if I have guests over, I'll lock up my firearm, but keep my keys on me at all times (it's a key lock only cabinet).

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_security/gc-908-5.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
I sleep with my 24/7 under the pillow. My wife makes fun of me, explaining that she cannot understand how if given a common household tool I will 9 times out of 10 hurt myself with it, yet I don't blow my own brains out on accident while I'm sleeping. I told her that's because tools don't have a safety on them with a long double action pull. ;D

During the day, the gun stays under the pillow. If someone breaks in, I think that would be the last place they'd look for a weapon.

Oh yeah, this thread was about safes. I don't have one.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The immediate area around the master bed is an old school place to find a gun. A tip that someone I know used to use is to mount a narrow shelf over the door into the bedroom closet. Paint it to match the ceiling/walls and keep your home defense gun there. Its a less likely place to look and still quick to access.

Also, I'd suggest finding or making some sort of pocket holster to have the gun in. When my ex has had "friends" over for the night I tend to put my M650 under the other pillow (the one I'm not using) in its pocket holster. That should give me a fraction of a second delay to more fully understand whats happening. I roll around too much to want a gun under my pillow.

Steelheart

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh yeah, this thread was about safes. I don't have one.

In a 12 month spam, my older apartment got broken into 3 times. The new spot has ADT and I have that gun cabinet. it's more for my own piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
A tip that someone I know used to use is to mount a narrow shelf over the door into the bedroom closet. Paint it to match the ceiling/walls and keep your home defense gun there. Its a less likely place to look and still quick to access.
Steelheart.. that is a great idea.. i am going to do that..
Thanks

I don't have a safe either, i would like one though for my handguns..
Maybe one day when the finances are good ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wouldnt you roll off the bed to get your gun that underneath it?
1. Roll off bed establishing cover and hiding.
2. Now get gun.
3. Come up blazing.

:guns:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Last time I rolled off my bed it took me ten minutes to get up off the floor with the help of my wife and a kitchen chair. Granted it wasn't on purpose and my legs are stronger now but I stay up off of there as much as I can. If it comes down to it I will be standing up facing the BG with my gun blasting. BTW, I also found out that I am rather allergic to whatever the heck they used to clean my carpet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
grouchy hippo said:
Last time I rolled off my bed it took me ten minutes to get up off the floor with the help of my wife and a kitchen chair. Granted it wasn't on purpose and my legs are stronger now but I stay up off of there as much as I can. If it comes down to it I will be standing up facing the BG with my gun blasting. BTW, I also found out that I am rather allergic to whatever the heck they used to clean my carpet.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
;D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I stopped keeping "things" under the pillow because I figured that was one of the first places someone would look. I know I would if I were a burglar - along with the drawers, under the bed, kitchen cabinets, under the sink, closets, etc. I have an 800 lb safe, a steel cabinet for ammo, and it was worth every penny for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
959 Posts
~Here is my Gun Safe~This Size is just right for "ME" Long&Short Guns~Nobody is going to walk away with it~Price was right for Total to MY Door~If you Gunner's know of any other Good deals on Big Gun Safes, please Post them, so the Gunner's can Shop and Compare~
NOTE: Try and think of future SIZE needs, and always error on the side of a little bigger... The real bummer about all these Big Safes, is that just a couple of inches in size, adds a $100 BUCKS...YIKES...<:)) So the moral of the story is "Buy it Once~Buy it for LIFE"...
~Diamond Back 20 Gun Fire Safe GS5928L~
Price: $644.95 Free Shipping
http://www.lockitupsafe.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=95#details
Interior PICS:
http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/DBK/DBK1001_a.jpg
http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/DBK/DBK1001_b.jpg
http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/DBK/DBK1001_c.jpg
Features:
Diamond Back "L" Series gun/rifle safe is designed to be tough and durable at a reasonable price. Using a (9) 1" solid steel chrome plated bolts to secure the door for great strength againest prying attack. Door length Dead Bolt Locking System - Assures 100% mechanical lock-up of door on the inside of the door; this prevents opening of the door even if the hinges are cut off in a burglary attempt.
Heavy duty solid steel External Hinges - Adjustable, ball bearing, external hinges allow 180° of door swing, unlike internal hinges that allow approximately 80-85° of door swing.
Handle Type: Straight
Lock type: 3 Wheel Tumbler Pack Combination
Total of 20 guns storage (may vary due size of guns and accessories)
Color: Durable gloss black powder coat paint
Universal Interior~choice between storing long guns and having shelves to
Plush carpeted interior~grey fabric for long guns and adjustable shelves
One layer of fire proofing for 30 minutes of protection at 1250°F
Durable gloss black powder coat with gold accents
4 pre-drilled anchor holes
Dehumidifier access hole
Specifications:
Steel Door Thickness: 0.125"
Steel Body Thickness: 0.125" (10 gauge)
Interior Dimensions: 56.25" H x 26.25" W x 12.25" D
Exterior Dimensions: 59" H x 28" W x 18" D
Weight: 472 lbs.
Warranty: one year
Free shipping includes a lift gate to get the safe from the truck to the ground, it is a curbside delivery.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Last night on the news an off duty cop stops at a store and when he comes back out the window of his pickup was smashed in and the bag he had left on the front seat was gone. With his gun and police id in it.

First off I think it should have been secured better than just inside a locked car and secondly he should have realized that the bag looked like a laptop bag and was tempting crooks.

On your hip or in a safe is the best way.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Steelheart said:
The immediate area around the master bed is an old school place to find a gun. A tip that someone I know used to use is to mount a narrow shelf over the door into the bedroom closet. Paint it to match the ceiling/walls and keep your home defense gun there. Its a less likely place to look and still quick to access.
Just realized that I didn't specify that the shelf is on the inside of the closet, not the outside. :???:

And the bit about the off duty cop is why those cheap (sub $30) lock-boxes some of us use from the car safe thread are nice to have around. They'd work in a bedroom too (loop the cable through part of the bed that'd be a pain in the butt to carry off).
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=282585

But back to home safes, even the cheap keyed steel cabinet style gun safes are pretty good. A very knowledgeable gentleman I know on another forum broke the keys off in the locks (dual circular key style locks). He figured it wouldn't be that difficult to break into it (ALL his guns were inside). Be broke I don't recall how many high end drill bits (cobalt I think) trying to destroy the locks. It took him over 3 days to re-arm himself.... When asked why he didn't have a combination locked safe, he said that it was on loan to a friend (another forum member). These style safes run $50 or so for the basic pistol style and $90+ for long gun size.

Here's some links to the above mentioned style safe, you should be able to find these or something similar locally:
http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_security/index.html
http://www.homaksecurity.com/GunCabinets.htm

Steelheart

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your right about the little portable ones Mr. Steelheart. I take mine everyplace. Guns go in there even if range bag is with me in case I DO stop on spur of the moment. Plus, like I mentioned, they are great when traveling and visiting family.

As to the larger safes- our Walmart still had some left and even marked down a bit Jan 3rd or 4th. ( I hate going there unless I HAVE to.) They resembled the Stack-ons from your link. Also, they had some heavier duty ones for around 300.00 if I recall. And if you want to hall them, the gun shows many times offer various sized and priced safes.

Respects- Brizz.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well, I guess I am finally gonna have to get something to use in my truck, or the wifes car when we travel. Some states I have to go thru to get where we normally go, have some strange idea's about guns in vehicles, even if you have a CCDW on you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For years and in various places I lived I kept a sentry dial safe next to the bed one click away from opening so I could access it in the dark. The safe was primarily to keep my small children away from my and wifes firearms. Today no small kids around so it is always just next to me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 4 year old in the house, so I have a 24" X 24" safe in my BR closet. I keep the gun there, with the clip in, safety on and unchambered (With a child in the house, the idea of a chambered round in a weapon just worries me). I keep my safe combination one turn from opening. I know this is not ideal for home protection, but I do it like that for my little girl's sake. I practice getting up out of bed, going to my safe, and withdrawing and chambering a round. I can do it in about 20 seconds. Not ideal though. A lot can happen in that amount of time. I am considering other ideas for home storage. Safety is paramount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts