Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some gun reviews today and started to notice a trend. These were for higher priced guns. If there was a problem with them the owners contributed the problem to being new and break-in periods. I just wonder how many of them would give a Taurus gun the same reason for ftf or fte. Just a thought. It seems like people come down hard on lower priced guns when they aren't 100% out of the box.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well my tracker has a few issues.. fires ok but it aint 100%, it has some lock up issues with a 3 out of 7 chambers..

i dont think it's a problem with shooting but they do not look up tight like they should. i did not realize this at first.

now my pt92 though has been cherry right out of the box, infact i would and will buy another.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well, problem with T guns is that OFTEN, people purchase them as a FIRST firearm because they are so affordable.
Then when an issue comes up, they go and ask the peeps in the range and the gun store that pimp out Overpriced products and the draw conclusions of "Cheap" and "Inadequate".

Like I tell EVERYONE, I have been a customer since the MID 80's.
When the PT92 Was announced, I PRE ORDERED IT From Scott Moss Gun and Tackle in Stamford CT.
I had to wait, and I NEVER had an issue with ANY Taurus product until my last purchase, a 24/7C .40.
That I chock up to someone in QC down in the southland not doing their job.

Over the years, I have seen EVERY OTHER manufacturer have a RECALL, I can't ever remember a recall of a Taurus.
That in and of it's self should tell everyone something.

·
Super Moderator
21,799 Posts
I had a few qwirks with my PT 1911 when I first bought it did I cry nope just shot it about 1000 times more like the rest of my new guns and all of a sudden its running great + would not trade it for the world.

I think you hit it on the head bulldog people buy them that are not vary experienced because they are priced right and not knowing guns and that they likely need a break in period just start badmouthing them. And are encouraged by mister $2500 Kimber

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yep, they gotta pimp them pistols!
BUT I really believe if Taurus RAISED Their prices a bit, the cheap would go away!
Heck I got my 24/7C .40 for 400 bucks!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i hope they dont raise their prices.. sure some people would take them more serious but thats just the ones who think the higher the price tag the better the product.

personally i like them right where they are, i would however like to see the QA improved as the guns are good but the issues i had with my tracker and it was not the first one i looked at makes me think the QA is sleeping on the job. and consistancy is very important for your reputation.

anyway according ot wiki they had over 400ml in revenue in 2006.. that ain't to shabby.

·
Registered
509 Posts
joe sixpack said:
i hope they dont raise their prices.. sure some people would take them more serious but thats just the ones who think the higher the price tag the better the product.

personally i like them right where they are, i would however like to see the QA improved as the guns are good but the issues i had with my tracker and it was not the first one i looked at makes me think the QA is sleeping on the job. and consistancy is very important for your reputation.

anyway according ot wiki they had over 400ml in revenue in 2006.. that ain't to shabby.
Yeah, I got my 24/7 and had to send it in for repair.
New barrel and a slide adjustment were needed.
CS said they do test these before they ship them out from the plant.
Tells me they have BAD QC Inspections and start maybe needing to do the Inspected by # whatever lables in the packaging for us to see.

Then, these striker fired guns have all that sticky protectant on em, NO ONE cleans em well enough and the get misfires because of it and people say it's the gun.
Oh well clean the thing and it will work!
Duh, some people!

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I first started shooting my 24/7 Pro, I was shooting low and left. An instructor at the range let me shoot his Kimber Target II and I was dead on accurate. I expressed my frustration of my bad aim with my Pro vs his Kimber, and he quickly said, "There's nothing wrong with that Taurus, it's a good handgun, it's probably something that you're doing wrong", which is exactly what it was. Once I fixed myself, the Pro shoots great. He spoke highly of Taurus and said he liked my Pro.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Steve27 said:
When I first started shooting my 24/7 Pro, I was shooting low and left. An instructor at the range let me shoot his Kimber Target II and I was dead on accurate. I expressed my frustration of my bad aim with my Pro vs his Kimber, and he quickly said, "There's nothing wrong with that Taurus, it's a good handgun, it's probably something that you're doing wrong", which is exactly what it was. Once I fixed myself, the Pro shoots great. He spoke highly of Taurus and said he liked my Pro.
Yeah, I had a female pupil using my 24/7 .40 C last Friday night and after 50 rounds I had her hitting the Red dot in the center of mass.
So it's not the gun.
She was left and low also.
The straight 8's take getting use to.

·
Registered
147 Posts
joe sixpack said:
well my tracker has a few issues.. fires ok but it aint 100%, it has some lock up issues with a 3 out of 7 chambers..

i dont think it's a problem with shooting but they do not look up tight like they should. i did not realize this at first.

now my pt92 though has been cherry right out of the box, infact i would and will buy another.
Same with my PT140, if i ever needed another i would not hesitate to buy it because of the rock solid dependable gun it has been.

And if i ever wanted another 1911 i would certainly buy a Taurus, it looked great when i held it at the dealers the other day. Felt like a very solid and well built gun.

·
Super Moderator
21,799 Posts
we have to remember that these guns are made in Brazil basically a third world nation not known for high quality. Not like the Swiss. So these guys probably make in a year what we make in a few months so that might have something to do with it.

I worked for general Moters for 31 years and we got a lot of are product from Mexico and i can tell you people in those parts of the world just don't get quality. We constantly got crap from them and had them in the plant basically living there. just doing repairs.

To give you an idea what they make our cafeteria was not vary expensive when a group from Mexico showed up for a week we noticed that they were not eating we asked them why and they said they could not afford our high prices so we went to our union and made the company issue them food cards so the could eat at our cafeteria made us mad and is kind of sad. A lot of our teams brought in food for them because when they left they'd bus them back to a overcrowded hotel room and they could not afford to eat out.

We forget how good we got it here I wonder what the working conditions are at the Taurus plant.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
good question 45, happy employees make happy products.. er.. what i mean to say is poor working conditions and unhappy employees will turn out poor quality products or spotty consistency.

according to wiki taurus had 406ml revenue in 2006 iirc, i would like to believe they treat their employees well and are probably a big employer there.

but it would be interesting to know for sure how things are.

·
Super Moderator
21,799 Posts
I can assure you as well as GM treats there employees here. In Mexico its completely different having worked with some of them a lot, they have few breaks and are worked hours without pay. If they get hurt on the job they get fired. They can not call in sick even with a doctors excuse they are fired. There is no OSHA to protect the workers from chemicals and the factory dumps there waste into the closest river. Which down river pollutes towns and causes extreme birth defects. This was confirmed when I went to a meeting that had a women attorney who was fighting for workers rights across the border. she had a slide show that went with her speech and it was vary moving. This is only my knowledge of GM and does not represent what Taurus does.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I can throw out similar knowledge of both GE and Black and Decker for ya 45. It is definitlly a problem whenever another country with more "relaxed" worker protection rights offers better rates for labor, and someone in the accounting department of an otherwise good company decides that profits mean more than ethics.

·
Registered
96 Posts
45 Forever said:
I had a few qwirks with my PT 1911 when I first bought it did I cry nope just shot it about 1000 times more like the rest of my new guns and all of a sudden its running great + would not trade it for the world.

I think you hit it on the head bulldog people buy them that are not vary experienced because they are priced right and not knowing guns and that they likely need a break in period just start badmouthing them. And are encouraged by mister $2500 Kimber
I carried a Kimber with the Sheriff's dept. in North Texas. It was one of the lowest serial # Kimbers I've seen and only ONCE did I have a ftf. My fault. It also only cost me $700 & change. I think the Taurus PT 1911 is of similar quality. I enjoy mine and have had no issues with it. Proper break in is essential. Remember, even Rolls Royces get flat tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts