Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my tx-22 yesterday afternoon and this morning I spent two and a half hours getting to know it at the range. Myself and one friend put 550 rounds through the gun, 400 rounds standard and high velocity, and 150 rounds of suppressed standard and subsonic.

Before I get into this review let me say a couple things. As some of you know I have a bit of experience with Rimfire firearms. I own a few, both handguns and long guns, and even a few rimfires in calibers that some of you have never heard of. I have no axe to grind or any other reasons to push any particular manufacturer or model of 22 handgun. When someone asks for an opinion on which 22 caliber firearm they should buy or consider buying I give my opinion. I don't argue or find a need to defend my opinion or insist that any one gun is better than another. I simply write it as I see it and let it go.

At this particular point in my life I am not a fan of Taurus firearms. I have a number of reasons why I feel this way and I will not get into them here. I will say however, that I judge a particular gun on its own merits not on the company name. What happens say 3, 6, 10 months or two years later as far as customer service, Parts availability, or dependability has nothing to do with my individual review of the gun when I receive it.

Now, on to the tx-22... on removing it from the box and examining the gun both inside and out I find the gun to be clean, not gunked up with oil, and lubricated the way it should be. Initial opinion of fit and finish was that the gun is better fit and finished then most Taurus Firearms I have seen. The magazines for the gun are synthetic but that means nothing to me as many manufacturers of 22 caliber firearms use synthetic magazines. Brand new, on my digital trigger pull scale the gun exhibited just short of 6 lb trigger pull. After five hundred plus rounds the trigger had smoothed out a bit and the trigger pull was down to just under five pounds.

I had three occasions where I had a failure to feed of the second round and all three times it was the same magazine with different ammunition. After the third time I added a touch of dry graphite lubrication to the follower and the front and back inside of the magazine and the problem disappeared.

I only tested the gun at 7 and 10 yards. At both distances the sites were pretty much point of aim. I had no problem with the height of the front sight or not being able to adjust the sights for point of impact. As has been my experience using a suppressor the point of impact in relation to point of aim did change when shooting the gun suppressed. This is a normal occurrence when using a suppressor. The sites were also high enough that they worked fine with a suppressor. At 10 yards, shooting unsupported, I had no problem shooting two inch groups. Off a rest the group's easily went down two an inch at the same distance with the same ammunition. I found that mechanically the gun was not ammo sensitive but as far as accuracy it was. This is no different than any other 22 long rifle handgun.

After shooting the gun this morning my opinion of the gun is that it is a comfortable fun plinker which I may end up using with students. There are a number of low cost plastic 22 long rifle pistols on the market and this one fits in with all of them. In my short time shooting the gun it was dependable, accurate, and fun to shoot. It is lightweight, comfortable in the hand, and the controls and the ergonomics leave very little to be desired. Because of my experience with the gun this morning if I knew someone who needed or wanted and inexpensive 22 caliber fun gun I would recommend this with the caveat that my experience with the gun was limited.

I found no glaring problems or any problems at all for that matter from the tx-22. I do feel that if one can afford the difference in price one would be better off buying one of the steel guns particularly, for use as a hunting or competition firearm. The steel guns have already demonstrated a level of longevity that is hard to debate. What this gun shows as far as dependability and longevity of the gun itself will only be known in the future. There is also the matter of a one year warranty to consider.

In the end I believe it boils down to that old saying of you pays your money and you takes your chance.....

Don

·
8,874 Posts
Excellent write-up, thanks BangBang.

Reactions: BangBang

·
Super Moderator
35,330 Posts
Great first test write up! Thanks for that. :D Sounds like a decent pistol. Hope they hold up well, no reason I can see that they shouldn't.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Nice report Don.

One kind of funny thing was I just watched 22 Plinksters review of the Tx22. I think he said he ran through 400-500 rounds and had just ONE failure to feed....it was the second round in the magazine. Funny! Anyway thanks for the good report.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Thank you for that informative and fair handed review. I've heard several comments about that 'second round mis-feed', but you're the first to offer a fix. :clap:

Reactions: BangBang and Sekol

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
The tx22 is kind of in a tough spot at that price point competing against the Ruger sr22, Walther P22, and Beretta P22. I own the Ruger and it is a great little pistol besides the safety being backwards.

·
Registered
460 Posts
+1 on the Ruger. As compelling as the new Taurus .22 seems, I can see no reason to buy one (but that backward SR22 safety sure is odd).

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
The tx22 is kind of in a tough spot at that price point competing against the Ruger sr22, Walther P22, and Beretta P22. I own the Ruger and it is a great little pistol besides the safety being backwards.
+1 on the Ruger. As compelling as the new Taurus .22 seems, I can see no reason to buy one (but that backward SR22 safety sure is odd).
I was worried that I was the only one that felt that way!! :D

All other things seeming equal, once the street price comes down, the safety may well be the sole reason I get a TX22.

ETA:
Of course, I'd be all over a TX-22WMR!!!!!!

Reactions: Sekol and Boheeber

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
I was worried that I was the only one that felt that way!! :D

All other things seeming equal, once the street price comes down, the safety may well be the sole reason I get a TX22.

ETA:
Of course, I'd be all over a TX-22WMR!!!!!!

there are quite a few handguns that have thumb safeties that operate different direction than the 1911, which is what most compare to.
BUT IF a weapon was around BEFORE the 1911 then would not the 1911 be the one that operates the wrong way???
while we compare things to what we as Americans use, prefer and like (mostly due to familiarity) doesn't mean that other designs are not good or acceptable.
using different deigns can complicate things but in reality this particular weapon isn't one that I would tote around for defense myself so not a big issue for me personally.

·
Super Moderator
35,330 Posts
So, WHAT, pray tell, is "backwards" about the SR's safety? I works JUST LIKE my Ruger P85, my P90 (except the P90 returns to fire on its own) and my new Taurus TH9C, DOWN to DECOCK! It's the way God meant DA autos to be! I don't get it, why does everyone hate the SR22's safety? It works RIGHT. If your carry doesn't work like that, you have the wrong carry!;)

I like the placement of the SR22 safety, too, on the frame. My P85 and KP90DC are up on the slide, not a REAL stretch, but the frame mounted safety is more convenient, placed like the Sigs originally. My TH9c is on the frame, too. :D It returns to fire when decocked just like my KP90DC. The only difference in the SR22 is that one must return it to fire after decocking like my P85.

Reactions: Zylo_X

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
there are quite a few handguns that have thumb safeties that operate different direction than the 1911, which is what most compare to.
BUT IF a weapon was around BEFORE the 1911 then would not the 1911 be the one that operates the wrong way???
while we compare things to what we as Americans use, prefer and like (mostly due to familiarity) doesn't mean that other designs are not good or acceptable.
using different deigns can complicate things but in reality this particular weapon isn't one that I would tote around for defense myself so not a big issue for me personally.
So, WHAT, pray tell, is "backwards" about the SR's safety? I works JUST LIKE my Ruger P85, my P90 (except the P90 returns to fire on its own) and my new Taurus TH9C, DOWN to DECOCK! It's the way God meant DA autos to be! I don't get it, why does everyone hate the SR22's safety? It works RIGHT. If your carry doesn't work like that, you have the wrong carry!;)

I like the placement of the SR22 safety, too, on the frame. My P85 and KP90DC are up on the slide, not a REAL stretch, but the frame mounted safety is more convenient, placed like the Sigs originally. My TH9c is on the frame, too. :D It returns to fire when decocked just like my KP90DC. The only difference in the SR22 is that one must return it to fire after decocking like my P85.
I don't hear anyone saying that one is not good, nor relying on the switch as the end all be all of a 'safe' firearm. Having had the run of Ruger P-series, and several S&Ws, now that all of those are gone, the SR22 safety is my only 'odd-ball'. Myself, and others, simply prefer to keep the same manual of arms, and muscle memory as the PT92s, and 1911s currently in the toy box. Thumb sweep down, the way JMB intended it to be. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,330 Posts
Well, the military dumped JMB's quaint little antique for the Beretta M9, ya know. And, I don't sell firearms I like even if they're old. Rugers last forever, thankfully. I really don't care for striker guns, prefer DA/SA or DAO pistols and revolvers. Ruger has gone striker crazy and I don't care for it. I thought I'd try a striker gun, got the PT145 thinkin' I could maybe get used to safeties on striker guns, but it slows me down big time up close from leather. Microseconds are important up close. Now, I did own a 1911 for a while, but the thing didn't like any bullet with a hole in the front and it was heavy, heavier than even my KP90DC. I could carry the Ruger, is only 34 ounces unloaded, but the PT145 is more compact and 25 or so unloaded ounces. So, I decided to get the TH9c as a carry. 9mm is a good round, after all, and the gun is a great value and carries great firepower. Turned out to be quite accurate. :D So, it's my new infatuation. Still carry my revolvers most, of course, never give up my revolvers. I don't really need firepower of a wonder 9 around here. So, my SR22 matches the manual of arms of the TH9c and for that all important first shot, my DA autos are the same as my revolvers. Of course, you could still carry it single action, safety engaged UP, but I won't.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Well, the military dumped JMB's quaint little antique for the Beretta M9, ya know. ...
True, but they 'fixed' that ^^^^ by going with the Sig P320s now.

I got nuttin but luv for Ruger, but exes and life had other plans. Regardless, looks like a TX22 in my future, to keep the SR22 company.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gentlemen, if I may please draw attention to the fact that this OP is not about what or why NT says he carries for defense or who likes whatever gun has a safety that goes whichever way. It is a review about a new plastic 22 caliber handgun from Taurus. I would suggest that if you want to discuss which way a safety lever should move or why a particular gun is your favorite carry gun that it might be better if you started your own thread. Those involved have a need to be right and it might be easier to establish that right in another post.

Don

·
Registered
460 Posts
Gentlemen, if I may please draw attention to the fact that this OP is not about what or why NT says he carries for defense or who likes whatever gun has a safety that goes whichever way. It is a review about a new plastic 22 caliber handgun from Taurus. I would suggest that if you want to discuss which way a safety lever should move or why a particular gun is your favorite carry gun that it might be better if you started your own thread. Those involved have a need to be right and it might be easier to establish that right in another post.

Don
Sorry. Wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Your review was very thorough and I (and others) appreciate the effort.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Thank you, bb, for such a thorough review on the TX22! :) There is always room for another rimfire in the stable!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

Don
Sorry. Wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Your review was very thorough and I (and others) appreciate the effort.
Yes, just poking a little fun. Thanks, again, for the review and the magazine lube tip.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts