Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what opinions fellow gun owners feel are reasonable responsibility's to expect or require ?

Gun violence has become center stage in this country , who ever you want to blame the media and much of the ignorant public lump all of us together as our response seems to be we have the right and no new laws are needed.

Were viewed by many as irresponsible gun slingers and a danger to the public , of course we know that isn't close to the truth but isn't it in our better interest to project an image of responsibility and safety to help disarm some of the anti gun sentiment ?

One of the arguments is guns stolen from legal owners , or kids getting ahold of firearms and being injured or killed.

I believe as a gun owner you need to be responsible in securing your weapons from theft , accidental discharge and unauthorized people especially children.

I also think many aren't aware of things we take for granted including some new gun owners ,like 4 basic gun safety laws ,

The 1st Law:
The Gun Is Always Loaded

The 2nd Law:
Never Point The Gun At Something You Are Not Prepared To Destroy

The 3rd Law:
Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It

The 4th Law:
Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target

I don't think the masses realize these are the SAFETY basics preached from day 1 by enthusiasts.

I can't tell you the amount of times I get on people for picking up a gun and they immediately put there finger on the trigger, Alot of newb's at the GS.

I guess I feel our part as owners and enthusiasts is to profess gun safety and responsibility when ever possible ,educate new owners at the range when you see something wrong.

I also believe you have the responsibility of knowing your firearm , and a reasonable proficiency level in using it.

I guess I wondering how some of you feel about this ?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I can agree with about all you say... However, I believe its almost impossible to keep your weapons from being stolen 100%......How can i be responsible if i lock my doors and someone breaks in while im gone? Not everyone has room nor space for a gun safe. Gun owners should not be held accountable for what thieves steal.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
As a Vietnam Vet I can remember the press and many of the politicians currently in Congress or running for President considered us as pot-smoking, gun-toting baby-killers and built their reputations on how irresponsible we were. Every generation of liberalists seems to need a group which they can vilify for no reason other than to make themselves feel important.

Gun violence is indeed a problem, but so is drunk driving and (if many folk get their way) soon will driving-while-stoned be. Yet, as far as driving while drunk/stoned is concerned, the liberalists don't want their right to imbibe inhibited, so the press leaves the issue alone and no politucian campaigns on making the roadways safer.

Back in "my day" the number of males who learned firearms safety and proper handling (thanks to the draft) was quite high. Funny, but I don't remember gun violence as we see today as prevalent when a large and continuing segment of the population learned firearms safety and proper handling while young, thanks to the draft boards and Department of Defense.

Today's young folk instead now get federally-mandated (directly and indirectly, thanks to the Department of Education) sex education courses with particular emphasis on "gun safety" and the proper handling of appropriate devices. This was all added to K-12 curricula on the excuse of a "clear and present public danger" due to an educational deficiency. Well, following the same logic, shouldn't the K-12 curricula include firearms safety and proper handling? After all, if gun violence is a "clear and present public danger" as so many politicians claim, and so much of the violence is youth-initiated, then there is an "educational deficiency" which needs to be addressed, and where better to address it than in the K-12 education system.

Or we can always reinstitute the draft.....

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can agree with about all you say... However, I believe its almost impossible to keep your weapons from being stolen 100%......How can i be responsible if i lock my doors and someone breaks in while im gone? Not everyone has room nor space for a gun safe. Gun owners should not be held accountable for what thieves steal.
I'm not saying we should be held responsible for stolen firearms but promote the practice of safely securing firearms from theft and access by children especially. Concealment is more effective than safes in some respects , can't steal or access what you can't find.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SteveZ ,I totally agree.

I think not having basic gun education in schools , starting in elementary is just plain reckless in a country with over 3million firearms in citizens homes. Not knowing anything about guns is more dangerous than at least having a basic safety knowledge of it. We teach dangers of electrical ,fire ,traffic, tornado's , ect to vary young children , why wouldn't you teach gun safety , they see the wrong way over and over again on TV by kindergarten.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
You can secure your car from theft too but do you want to be held responsible if someone steals it? I don't, and shouldn't be.

I take FAR more responsibility for my guns than Hollywood takes for they way they glorify gun violence. Of course, I don't have the millions of dollars to pay psychologists to testify before congress that seeing 200 graphic murders a week on TV has absolutely no effect on a child, like the entertainment industry did for decades.

The vast majority of the gun death problem is not a gun problem, it's an inner city problem. It's a problem stemming from huge numbers of people being taught entitlement and never being taught responsibility, growing up with no positive roll models in their life, and no respect for human life...thank you very much LBJ.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Well OP, what gets me is the number of people I see at gun shows, buying a gun from someone just walking around trying to sell it. Sorry, might get flamed for this, but I don't like it. I have been doing gun shows for 29 years now, and although I would like to think all these sales are on the up and up, I know better.

I work with a guy that I know bought a shotgun this way...he is not supposed to own guns because of his past with anger management issues and fighting. Now, I know a law will not stop him from getting his hands on one if he really was determined, but just to be able to walk in the show and buy a firearm, even though he says he's not supposed to own one, makes me pissy. THAT is what the anti-gun establishment and the media compare us to.

This battle will rage on and on and on.

·
Registered
677 Posts
There are many failures in our government to compromise on polarizing issues. Abortion, gun control, border control, Environmental ...

Society is in decline IMO, personal responsibility is in decline.

I'd like to see more enforcement of laws and a higher level of qualification required but I don't trust the left to do it. It should not be anymore difficult or expensive than a drivers license and car inspection. The problem is the antigun people would want it to cost $1000/year. The result would be a tax on law abiding citizens and the poor who need the most protection would be financially limited. Illegal guns, drugs, and aliens would continue to be ignored.

I'm for states rights, keep the Fed out unless SPECIFICALLY ENUMERATED.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
400,000 people a year are killed by doctor screwups, compared to less than 40,000 killed by guns. Medical screwups are the number 3 killer. Period. My dad was one of them. I'm not getting into a discussion about why I'm not responsible for negligent or violent criminals and what they do with guns.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Read an article a few weeks ago about gun violence and violence in general. Authors line was that since kids are not taught anger management, how to de-escalate potentially violent situations, these events end up getting out of control to the point someone gets hurt, or killed. Need to get something into the public indoctrination system about anger management.

I think also it's been made okay to be envious and jealous of what others have. It's been made acceptable to think you're entitled to part of what they have. We need to fix this too.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I think the antigunners think that all guns should be "reasonably secured" in a "common sense storage container". But they will be the ones who define both terms (read: nothing will satisfy them - ever). I finally found a heavy duty one and bolted it to the garage floor. All of my guns are in it and secured except for the EDC on my belt and a nightstand gun in a biometric safe. All are loaded. The security is necessary because we have a 6-year old running around here.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I do believe,that ALL GUN OWNERS should be responsible and competent individuals. There are some people however, that can not be taught responsibility,
or do not want to accept responsibility. You can not teach those who are not willing to learn.
As far as gun laws or new gun laws are concerned, we do not need any more gun laws. We do not need 98% of the ones we have now!!!!!!!!!
Gun Laws, do not save lives. CRIMINALS have guns even with all of the SILLY LAWS that are now in place.
Until the majority of human beings, decides to live like HUMANS, instead of animals, things WILL NOT improve.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The OP has brought up the notion of gun owner responsibility.

I see this has opened a conversation about gun control. The gun show loop hole (background checks), safe storage, etc. These are all part of the NYSafeAct.

Of course there is a ton of horribly restrictive legislation that was crammed into that Act that utterly trampled on 2A rights.

All I'm saying is be very careful what you wish for. If you give an inch they will take a mile.

Conduct yourself according to your tenets, practice good firearm handling and storage, and train others well when given the opportunity to.

Don't be your own worst enemy.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just looking for opinions , some good points were brought up , my point was more how do we portray our selves in a more positive light by being seen as responsible and safety conscious , and just as appalled as the rest of the country over the " Hollywood style Shootings " as I call them, due to the disproportionate coverage they get by ratings hungry liberal network news.

I can see where we could paint ourselves into a corner just mentioning theft period , some how we need to find our way back to blaming criminals for there actions vs victims and objects.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts