Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I’m in right place...

So, in my 60 years I’ve always kinda noticed what different people in my life have done in reference to gun storage and I’m curious what you’ve generally seen in your lives. With me, anyone who had a long arm always used one of three things: A wooden rifle rack, a glass fronted gun cabinet, or a closet. My father-in-law kept his rifles (3) in the coat closet by the front door out sight behind things. My dad only ever owned a pistol, kept in nightstand. My friends dads to a man used rifle racks mounted in their dens. On rare occasion I would see a wood gun cabinet, also always in the den or maybe entryway. Think 1950-1960 style houses. I have always used simple gun racks, and in my living room/den. Until about 10 years ago, at least. I still really like being able to see my stuff, rather than having it locked away, but I haven’t in a few years (no entryway, anyone at front door can see anything in my den, unfortunately).

What is going on out their nowadays? Are most folks hiding everything away?

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Administrator
39,373 Posts
Out of sight and hidden away. Namely a safe. There’s thieves out there that won’t mind taking your stuff. They won’t want what they can’t see. But they’ll want what they can’t see in a safe. At least it’s a hinderance, and at times enough to make them walk away. No need to make their chosen profession easier these days.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Safe for me. My grandparents once lived in a house with a built in glass fronted gun cabinet in the family room. It was on one side of the fireplace. The other side had a built in bookshelf. It was quite nicely done. The home in question was built in 1962.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Isn't it nice that this is the conversation now days....................

I pity the World we live in now.......................

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Mostly in a safe for me. Its just my wife and I and she is gun aware so I keep my daily carry holstered in a drawer in my study. I have the Mav 88 and the Charter .38 Spc by the bed.

·
21,940 Posts
I have been wanting to build myself a glass fronted cabinet to display a few of my favorites. Honestly, if someone makes it into the house, they have obviously defeated several other security layers, so why not enable me to better enjoy those firearms every single day?

I'm thinking something like this, but with shelves to display a few handguns as well.

cabinet.jpg

Before anyone gets a heart attack over my not having them in a concrete bunker behind barbed wire and alligators, who knows when I'll get around to it...

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
4 rifle safes, 2 handgun safes, a Beretta 92 within reach of my right hand, my 2 EDCs and a Taurus 99 within 12 inches of my left hand and a few flare launchers, cannons and mortars on display in the kitchen/dining room.
The cannons and mortars are not loaded and I try to not fire the flare launchers in the house (the last time I did I had to put out a fire).

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
Out of sight and hidden away. Namely a safe. There’s thieves out there that won’t mind taking your stuff. They won’t want what they can’t see. But they’ll want what they can’t see in a safe. At least it’s a hinderance, and at times enough to make them walk away. No need to make their chosen profession easier these days.
If it's not on me or out for a specific purpose, I'm with Smoke. We are not in granddad's environment anymore unfortunately. In addition to the risk of losing valuable property, there are overzealous prosecutors who would attempt to charge someone for not securing firearms. We grew up with the long guns in the closet and I was allowed to clean and fondle them with permission.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
In my grandparents house it was a gun rack on the wall and a couple of more long guns in the corner. Guns also stored in a rack across the back window of the truck without even locking the doors or rolling up the windows.
In my dad's house it was a nice locking wood and glass-fronted cabinet with locking drawers underneath. Guns also stored behind the seat of the the truck, with all the windows up and doors locked.
In my house it is heavy gauge steel cabinets with dual barrel-keyed locks. I have a pistol safe cabled to the seat frame under the passenger seat of my truck, but I don't leave a pistol in the safe overnight or more than a couple of hours, and I never walk away from my rig without locking it. No long guns get left in the truck unattended - ever.
Such is the evolution of our society.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Someday I'd like to have an old style wooden gun cabinet. The wife's got a really nice china closet, why can't the old man have a gun cabinet?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
As a kid, family firearms were in a cabinet. Now, everything which I don't use for home defense is in a Smith Vaults Security Safe. The owner of the company, Doug Smith, has the business about 2 miles from my home. My safe weighs 960 pound empty, and is bolted to my garage floor. I would love to display some of my favorites, but the trust factor is just not there. https://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
A friend of ours bought a safe from a small town hotel that was being torn down. It's a 6x8 (I'm guessing) walk-in, made in the mid 1800's. He had it moved to his mom's barn for temporary storage. When he built their house, the foundation was poured, the safe moved, and the house built around it. He's a gun collector and also collects and deals in coins. Have no clue what he's gonna do if he ever decides to move, but he's very confident in the safety of his goodies. And that safe is way cool. Being a contractor and having access to toys capable of moving heavy stuff pays off, I reckon...

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Hmmm. You wanna know where I keep my guns and what I see my friends doing? Are you with the ATF or what?
yea, sure all this is perfectly legit but I really don't give much details as to my security or how I plan to keep my stuff mine.
I do have a few safes, and that's about all I care to go into except--IF you do have a safe take a minute and consider what you may have laying around say in the garage that a criminal can use to open what ever you have!
I mean a safe that sits in your house and a saws all, recip saw, drill laying around with metal cutting blades and a drop cord don't take a lot of common sense for a bad guy to put together 2 plus 2 =4.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
yea, sure all this is perfectly legit but I really don't give much details as to my security or how I plan to keep my stuff mine.
I do have a few safes, and that's about all I care to go into except--IF you do have a safe take a minute and consider what you may have laying around say in the garage that a criminal can use to open what ever you have!
I mean a safe that sits in your house and a saws all, recip saw, drill laying around with metal cutting blades and a drop cord don't take a lot of common sense for a bad guy to put together 2 plus 2 =4.
GEEZ...now I need a safe for my TOOLS also??? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Excellent point.

If some idiot is willing to break in to your house, he's likely not going to bat an eye at stealing whatever tools he needs right out of your garage, to break in to whatever looks like it could contain valuables. We can only hope they are hit and run burglars and not planning on staying a while.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
GEEZ...now I need a safe for my TOOLS also??? :rolleyes:
possibly?
but at least keep them put up and out of obvious sight.
Most burglars (many/most now multiple guys) are in for a quick score and gone, but IF you make it easy enough for them they will take the handed opportunity.
kind of like positioning your safe against a side wall to make it difficult/impossible to lever a pry bar against the door to force it open.
course wouldn't do any good IF I were a burglar cause I gots my old Fire Axes!!!---LOL

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE
1 - 20 of 45 Posts