Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do y'all have any pictures of what does a gun printing look like? In many cases a buldge is noticable but at what point it becomes printing.

Texas Phil Peeno

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Well, I can't give you a picture, but I can tell you, I carry 2 guns mainly, a springfield armory XD SC .40, and my taurus 24/7 Pro .40.

The XD has a much smaller printing than the Taurus.... however, I carry the XD during warmer weather, when I can get by with a tee-shirt, and the Taurus during all other temps.

There are reasons I do this...... mainly, the Taurus is more accurate than the XD when firing, and the XD is better concealed than the Taurus.

Both are fine weapons.

Printing......... if someone can identify you carrying a weapon by the "outline" of the weapon is printing. I personally don't care, I open carry alot of times, and if someone can identify my weapon, okay.......... when I really need to "concealed carry, I use the XD with an IWB holster between my crotch and my right hip, right there in the middle.... no one can see anything even in a tight fitting tee.......

·
Administrator
40,380 Posts
"Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person. So if ya can't tell what it is, don't worry about it. Your actions will tell on you more than a bulge.(Squirming, adjusting your clothes etc.)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I pocket carry most of my guns, even my PT145, it's a bit bulky for pocket carry but I can pull it off. Depending on the clothing I wear sometimes the PT145 will print, especially when I sit down. One way I've found to get past this is to just take a napkin or two and fold them over and put them on the outside of my weapon. It breaks up the outline of the gun a bit more. I don't think people would notice anyway, but my dress slacks print. I've been next to LEOs before and they never noticed or didn't say anything if they did.

·
Administrator
35,630 Posts
I think Smokewagon is right on this one - we typically give regular earth wanderers way too much credit for being observant. I think as long as you take reasonable steps to carry and not print, you'll be okay.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree with Smoke and TTG, I think also if you're confident about carrying, meaning you taken measures to conceal the weapon, then trust the concealment. I've been watching people this morning since this thread last night, and I've found most people wouldn't know if a bomb went off next to them, let alone what you might be carrying. I think it just doesn't cross their minds, too much else to think about.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Where new carriers get into trouble is usually because they are not sure. So they check to make sure it is covered (too Much). They reach and pull it forward or back (DON'T CHECK TOO OFTEN).

OH, YOU ARE MORE AWARE OF IT THAN ANYONE ELSE!! So stop checking!!

·
Administrator
35,630 Posts
My CHL teacher made this point - the shooting range is in a strip shopping center with other shops......one day a guy is carrying his gun case down the sidewalk, and some people are behind him but going to the other shops.....he loses his grip on the gun case and it hits the ground, and the gun scoots out and onto the sidewalk, in full view. the people behind him just detour around him, don't even notice that it's a gun that fell out !! I think this is most likely typical for most earth dwellers.....they're too wrapped up in their own little world to notice anything, much less trouble.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As far as gun-printing is concerned, it is of my opinion that such "bulges" were more obvious years ago when there wasn't as many electronic gadgets. People carry large full service cell phones/pda.... Blackberries, IPODS of varying sizes, Portable DVD Players. Pretty soon they will be tucking in portable keyboards. Any firearm printing, bulging, shifting simply gets lost in the woodwork. Just my outlook

·
Registered
124 Posts
c45man said:
As far as gun-printing is concerned, it is of my opinion that such "bulges" were more obvious years ago when there wasn't as many electronic gadgets. People carry large full service cell phones/pda.... Blackberries, IPODS of varying sizes, Portable DVD Players. Pretty soon they will be tucking in portable keyboards. Any firearm printing, bulging, shifting simply gets lost in the woodwork. Just my outlook
Yup, I agree with that one.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well i guess it would be different gun to gun and holster to holster as well as where it's at and person to person..

for me i currently carry a pt92 in a fobus owb holster.. i wear long shirts anyway but is a must because of the size of the 92 also the holster rides a bit low.. i hate iwb but they do conceal better.

for me you can tell because the shirt can sometimes get bunched up on the guns backstrap/grip and then it's obvious but even though it's obvious when you're looking for it i've yet to find anyone who noticed.. or if they did they did'nt say or react to it.

generally speaking people do not pay attention anyway.

my opinion is go with whats comfortable, the more concealable it is usually the more uncomfortable it is.. expect for the really small pocket guns.. some times you can just slip them in a pocket and swallow up them and have the best of both worlds but usually means making a firepower tradeoff.

something to be said for pocket guns when going on a fast food run or something.. but when the shtf there is no substitute for a full size, every things a trade off.

c45man said:
you might very well be correct, good points.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts