Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking a trip to Illinois I discovered an interesting situation with the price of guns over the counter.

I needed to stop by a gunsmith to fix a busted rear sight screw on a used Beretta of mine, so while that was being fixed I took a look at the guns on display for sale. A used Smith and Wesson 3rd Gen 9mm caught my eye,but the price on it was $450.

Thinking it was just the prices at that particular FFL,I retrieved my fixed handgun and went on about my day.Stopping at the firing range /FFL later that week I noticed a PT809 on sale for $599. Yes, that's $600 + tax for a brand new PT809 stainless in that big box retailer. An XDm 9mm was $671.00 , and the FFL transfer fee for online purchases there is $60!

What are some outrageous prices you fellow members have witnessed for firearms in your travels?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Well, It is my opinion that even the ones most people would consider to be 'a good deal' these days, are WAY over priced.

Not really what you were asking SilverTauron, but:

For instance: My little FN 5.7X28: Pretty much everything but the barrel, firing pin and a few springs and a few other small parts are injection molded plastic. After the costs of making the molds is covered there is about a buck worth of material in the frame, and half a dollar in energy and a dollar in labor. Figure twenty bucks for making the barrel in quantity, and five bucks in assorted other parts. Then figure 50 dollars in actual shipping and distribution costs to get it to you, and a generous profit to the dealer if you bought it from a stocking brick & mortar retailer:

That gun should cost $250 retail at most, But tens of thousands of them have sold at a thousand bucks plus, each. Even if you figure it cost a million dollars for development costs to design the thing, that has long been amortized.

Firearms that are all steel (and wood stocks etc) obviously cost more to make, but other than handcrafted custom jobs, they are ALL way too expensive.
rant.gif

·
32,481 Posts
I've noticed some prices locally, but prices online and the shipping fees and having a local FFL dealer charge adds to the sting. Stuff I was going to buy went off the radar screen due to prices.

I trust only local dealers for FFL transfers as there has been some problems being able to trust local FFL holders who do supposedly "low charges" for transfers or receipts. Those have not been reliable or there are other "issues" they've had. Not around here anyway.

I did notice that certain polymer Tauri and other polymer brands for some revolvers and pistols have been very low. Nice to see.

Most of the AR15 guns are way to high in price IMHO. I remember when the AR-180 family was available or a Ruger Mini-14 was in the $600 or lower priced ballpark. Not any more. Even a used Marlin Camp Carbine or a Ruger PC9 prices are out of sight.

Granted, there are lot of really not over priced guns out there for a plethora of reasons.

Some of it is the public demand, but I am seeing guns in the Blue Book of Gun Values and other gun annual price guides, for which the online gun prices are way out of sight. Even for gently used ones or obviously abused or hard worked guns. Granted, the market has lot to do with this, but I think that gun sellers knowing that the demand for firearms being as great as it is are also padding things a bit. Yes, if you want it bad enough you'll pay anything for it. That's already understood. :)

I recently bought several NEF and several H&R revolvers with all that in mind and did it anyway.

·
32,481 Posts
Haven't been to the Hampton Roads area in over a decade, but the A&P Arms gun store had the lowest prices around and the staff worked well with the public. I procured most of the older, but new then, Taurus revolvers from them. What guns were going for at other places was incredible! High priced that is.

The city of Sussex there had some good stores as well.

Ah, war stories! There I was......... Or, there I was. Surrounded by 30,000 of them and me with only a jawbone of a jackass..... . :D:eek: :loco::bs::chug::jiml::icon_ banana::r_c:

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Around my city, you can find a wide range of pricing from fair to outrageous. As far as determining what the overall gun market is doing, I judge by the prices at my favorite local gun shop. Prices on most new guns have gone up some over the past year, but not an inordinate amount, less than 10% on even the highest run up guns and less on most.

I have however noticed a pretty good increase on good vintage handguns. Example, three years ago, I bought a pretty cherry vintage S & W model 66 for $360 and didn't try to haggle any as it had just gone in the gun case. Three weeks ago, I was at the same shop, and helping out with a customer who had picked up a Taurus .357 magnum in a 3" and had him filling out his 4471. I noticed a S & W model 66 laying on top of the main gun safe behind the counter where Randy lays guns he has bought or taken in on trade until he logs them in. I took it down to examine it while the customer was filling out his application for the Taurus, it wasn't as clean as the one I had bought. I caught Randy, the shop owner and asked him what price he was going to put on it? $500
Without batting an eye, the customer buying the Taurus told his wife that the S & W was what he really wanted and she gave him the go ahead right then and there. No haggling, paid the $500. Made me feel good for what I was into my 66 for.

I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt, good vintage revolvers and some pistols are a better investment than gold.

From time to time there will be runs on certain types of firearms due to fears about bans and such, but other than that, I haven't seen what I would call an excessive run up in prices.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Since I've been a member of this forum (almost two years), I've seen the prices of TCPs, 24/7s, Judges, PT92s, and PT1911s drop considerably in the gun stores in my area...so I'm pleased, to say the very least.

·
Administrator
39,378 Posts
I caught Randy, the shop owner and asked him what price he was going to put on it? $500
Without batting an eye, the customer buying the Taurus told his wife that the S & W was what he really wanted and she gave him the go ahead right then and there. No haggling, paid the $500. Made me feel good for what I was into my 66 for.

I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt, good vintage revolvers and some pistols are a better investment than gold.

From time to time there will be runs on certain types of firearms due to fears about bans and such, but other than that, I haven't seen what I would call an excessive run up in prices.
New models always seem to come down in price after their introduction.
Concerning Randy, the shop owner, that Jake speaks of, has fantastic pricing. I always thought Academy was a good place to buy, but this guy beats them easily. I've known that awhile, and experienced it again, last week! This shop will be my first stop from now on, when looking for new or used firearms. I asked him if he realised he was pricing better than Academy, and he said yeah, but his shop was just his hobby. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
In Mobile- I looked at a Walther PPK stainless a couple weeks ago- price $649.
I drove across town to another shop- same gun, but $100 less at - $549.
So- I took advantage and bought a Bersa Thunder.
It looks just like a Walther.......if you can't read.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
New models always seem to come down in price after their introduction.
Concerning Randy, the shop owner, that Jake speaks of, has fantastic pricing. I always thought Academy was a good place to buy, but this guy beats them easily. I've known that awhile, and experienced it again, last week! This shop will be my first stop from now on, when looking for new or used firearms. I asked him if he realised he was pricing better than Academy, and he said yeah, but his shop was just his hobby. :thumb:
Some new guns, Randy beats Academy, but not on Glocks, Berettas or usually Taurus semi-autos although he is close. He has a lot better selection on handguns than Academy but not near the long gun new inventory, although he has a great selection of C & R military rifles and sometimes a Garand, 1903 or M1A (Semi M14) and AKs and a good variety of different M-4's and AR's, even some Hi-Point carbines and a good Saiga selection. He runs the Saiga 12's about $50 less than the shop down the street. He may call it a hobby, but he sells more guns than any shop in town, he's more than fair on his prices and makes a good profit based on his volume. If I hang around his shop an hour, he will sell at least one gun during that time and often make more than one sale. I average selling one gun every two trips I make to his store as he is waiting on one customer and has one or more wanting to buy something most of the time.

Don't expect to see many used guns there as those are also priced to sell. I think Randy truly enjoys his customers and his business. He has good humor even if it is tinged with Sarcasm

I have heard him tell folks when they are asking about a particular gun that Academy has on sale below his cost (Black Fridays) that they need to go buy the gun at Academy. I mean the customer did not know Academy had the gun on sale until Randy told them.

Ammo wise, he isn't cheap on name brand ammo and mostly carries just enough name brand ammo for customers buying a gun who want to try it out. He does have true surplus ammo in .308, some Tokerev surplus ammo, the Lake City Federal .223 and 5.56 at very reasonable prices as well as 7.62 X 54 Rusky surplus. He carries Privi Partisan Serbian Ammo for the Brit .303, the .308, the Swiss 7.62 and 8mm Mausers. He is very fair priced on Wolfe....now Tula for the other Ruskie calibers and the .223 Tula which is fine to shoot in a Saiga .223.

Randy also has a Military Surplus section of clothing, caps, booney hats, BDU's and surplus containers although those are about gone.

As many customers as I've sent him, and sold for him, he really ought to give me a Ruger M-77 in .308! :) But that will happen when a certain hot place freezes over.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Like MPG, most of the prices Ive seen have been below average nationally, for certain guns. Some of the past few gun shows I have been to lately have not been too happy because they cannot or dont want to compete with LGS.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Look at BUY SELL TRADE GUNS ONLINE. TEXAS GUN SHOW | CLASSIFIEDS | AUCTIONS to see prices folks want for mostly used guns. As noted, AR-15 & Ruger Mini-14s have gone up insanely over the past few years. Many sellers are also convinced their used guns are worth more than MSRP new guns you can buy from either a LGS or the internet. One guy in Helotes had a Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt; he wanted about $450 and at the time you could buy a new one in Bass Pro for $299. There are a lot of Rossi 46103 models for sale that folks bought at Academy on Black Friday and many want $275 or more. Geesh... kind of buying on eBay.

·
32,481 Posts
Take a look at recent manufacture, not made any more Winchester 94s. Those are not Savage 99 rifles, but to see what's being charged for just one (yeah, it could be considered a classic) is incredible.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I know the last gun show i went to i was severely disappointed i prices. Some vendors were at Gander Mountain levels, which is generally one of the higher priced dealers in the Pittsburgh area. I would have been better off just putting the $15 admission fee in my gas tank and making a road trip to Wheeling for a Cabela's run. Even the old stock stuff was ridiculous, except for one vendor selling SKS's for $200 OTD, but most of the sights were beat to death. Saw a guy selling Mosin-Nagants that wanted $300 each, and half of them had no sights at all or the finish was so abused that they looked like a 70 year old work bench. As far as the small guys locally, it's a crap shoot for what you'll find around, but the prices are reasonable in most.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The gun prices certainly boggle my mind. Simple economics, supply and demand, normally dictate the major share of value on anything. Now with the multitude of gun manufacturers, all trying to turn their goods into cash, and with the abundance of used weapons already in circulation, how the hell are they selling this stuff at these prices? Guns certainly aren't wearing out faster than all these guys are making them.

It has to be because many want to own 20 guns, even though they can at most, only shoot two at once.

As with cars, to stimulate sales, without letting the market do it naturally through price drop, the gubment borrowed money from your grandkids and gave it to people who were willing to trade in their old car, on a new one, so the perfectly good old one could be destroyed. Creating an artificial shortage to keep unions happy and charge it to the kids.

Scumbags.

As for guns, if household arsenals go out of vogue, or if no one bought a gun for 6 months, you would see gun prices free fall. But until then, those that have the money to keep buying guns they will never shoot, will keep the prices out of reach for those who don't. And those that have the money will continue to pay too much.

Barring inflation, bottom line (and it works with anything).......want to see the price go down?........don't buy it.

I'm not.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Look at BUY SELL TRADE GUNS ONLINE. TEXAS GUN SHOW | CLASSIFIEDS | AUCTIONS to see prices folks want for mostly used guns. As noted, AR-15 & Ruger Mini-14s have gone up insanely over the past few years. Many sellers are also convinced their used guns are worth more than MSRP new guns you can buy from either a LGS or the internet. One guy in Helotes had a Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt; he wanted about $450 and at the time you could buy a new one in Bass Pro for $299. There are a lot of Rossi 46103 models for sale that folks bought at Academy on Black Friday and many want $275 or more. Geesh... kind of buying on eBay.
Yup, that's a good point, I'm sure, just like oil and just like housing, you got your 'gun speculators' buying up guns in hopes that the prices keep rising. Well like in everything else, at some point, the bubble bursts, and when the prices start dropping, they will all be freaking out trying to turn their pile of guns into cash as fast as possible before the prices drop further.

It reminds me of the fools who were paying $60 to $70 a box for .380's back when they were scarce, and then when the manufacturers finally started pumping it out as $20-25 a box, they got stuck, and burned.

Check out Gunbroker. At any time 'maybe' 5% of the items listed even get bid on, yet they still keep reposting at the same prices. Go figure. Maybe it's nice to have your money tied up in something you can't sell..........never tried it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It also depends on location, zip codes, a gun store in Detroit is going to have cheaper prices than a gun store in Beverly Hills. A new 24/7 might be $350 in Houston but about $500 in New York. Just depends on the average income of the people that live there and supply/demand. This is how Bud's gets so low prices since the majority of their business comes from online customers their prices are a standard for determining fair gun prices.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I would think that the state you're in will have a lot to do with it. ST you were in Illinois and found these high prices. Since they have the worst gun laws in the country I bet their dealers have to jump through more hoops to even be able to sell firearms. Probably sell fewer because people have so many hoops to jump through to be able to by one. Therefore they have to raise their prices just to make a profit.

My guess is it would be the same with California or New York.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
At my LGS they seem to be on par with most,the nice thing about my LGS is if you come across a deal they will try to match it. So far they been abble to accomodate me which is why they will keep getting my money. And for that I don't mind spending a little bit more for ammo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts