Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use these?

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/gun_pak_pouch.html

I think it's a great Idea. I'm outside alot doing work. I live in the Pacific North West. My hobby is 4 wheeling, and I'm often getting dirty and playing in the mud. I'm also a pretty active person when engaged in my hobby ie. Pulling winch cable, helping folks get unstuck, many work parties involved with cutting trees, and maintaining 4x4 trails. Thought it was a good idea keeping the gun safe and clean.

Just worried that it may be a bit bulky. I'm a little guy. I normally wear hooded sweatshirts, and am used to carrying with an Uncle Mikes IWB holster. But as stated above, sometimes the gun gets dirty or excessively wet from the great PNW rain we have here.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
A retired LEO friend uses a similar one and swears by it. He says that several of his Metro PD buddies use them and that's why he got one. He has tried to get me to use one, but I hate the idea of a fanny pack because of the Vegas tourist look. I guess I'm too vain. 8)

·
Registered
202 Posts
They are called f*g bags here. But wear what conceals the gun and what you are comfortable. I may get one soon. I am 5-9 160 and have a hard time concealing one on me.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
My retired leo son, has a box full of different ones. Some will hold his duty glock, others for his 357, and even a little one that holds his 357 derringer.

I have not borrowed one from him yet, but I might consider it after I finish the CCDW training.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've got 2 of the them (one's in the holster drawer for a loaner/spare). I've never actually used it as a belt pouch/fanny pack. I use it more as a storage pouch that can stash a gun.

Steelheart

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have one made of thin leather. No matter how fat and out of shape I get, I can carry my weapon with me. Anyone who wants to, can call it a f*gb*g... But in the end, I have my weapon with me.

If I disappoint the nay sayers about being a f*g, at least I won't disappoint them about taking care of myself. They work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
looks like something I would use for sure

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use a belly band when I am running around in sweats. But then again I don't go far from the house when I am in sweats. Never have been comfortable doing that for some reason.

·
Registered
109 Posts
VegasGuy said:
A retired LEO friend uses a similar one and swears by it. He says that several of his Metro PD buddies use them and that's why he got one. He has tried to get me to use one, but I hate the idea of a fanny pack because of the Vegas tourist look. I guess I'm too vain. 8)
Me also Vegas. No fanny pack for my big fanny

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I had one and loved it..
It was very convenient when you where out just going places or just need to grab and go... :D
I also liked it because you can do outdoor stuff and it is protected..
I am sure most guys that shoot can recognize a holster like that when you look around at other people...
Every time i see a Fanny pack i wonder if (Hmmmmmmmmmm) :)
They do work, it helps though if they are in different colors ..mine was Big and Black and I know when someone looked at it it just shouted "Gun In Here". . ..lol :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
dbsoundguy said:
I am sure most guys that shoot can recognize a holster like that when you look around at other people...
I know when someone looked at it it just shouted "Gun In Here". . ..lol :D
A few of my customers are LEOs. Two of them have the identical fannypack to mine. One of them, his name is Buck (Honest to G*d, I'm not making that name up), shows up to pick up his Grand Am. He was obviously just done with a P.T. session... Gym shorts, tee shirt, sneakers, sweat and all, plus a very conspicuous fanny pack.

He reached into the front pocket of it to get his check book, and I asked him, "Whatcha got in the back section? A Glock 26? 27? What?"

He gave me this really guarded look and asked what I was talking about. I stepped back from the service counter and he saw that I was wearing the identically same pack.

He grinned and said, "Screw the Glock! I'm off duty. I've got a Kimber 1911 in here!"

He grinned, I grinned. He paid his bill and left. I've gotten fairly good at spotting those of my customers who carry. Fanny packs SCREAM it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought one a few weeks ago for my PT 145. I love it. In my past life as a LEO, I used to carry an Uncle Mikes Gun Runner fanny pack. That one did SCREAM "I'm carrying a gun!" But it worked. I bought the pouch, because I'm carrying something smaller than what my on/off duty piece used to be. I also got it because I don't want to have to wear an over shirt all the time. Jeans and a t-shirt.
The pouch allows me to carry without worring about it. Yes, there are people that are out there that will wonder but for the most part, I never get a second look.
I have gone an extra step for "camoflauge" of my pouch. I am now a FF/paramedic. So as well as carrying my pouch, I also have omDept issue fire pager. (my wife can't stand that thing :D, she's always saying, "you're not on duty, why do you where that?). I also occasionally where a jacket with the Dept name on it. So the 2 together camo the pouch, people see the Dept name and hear the pager, so they think "must have FF/EMS stuff in there"
None of my coworkers have noticed it (don't carry it on the trucks. People might think that I might use it on some deserving pt who abuses the system. Though there are some people out there who would benefit greatly from a high-speed lead injection :D.........)
I don't use it all the time though. When I bought it, we had A LOT of the white stuff on the ground and we have an outdoor range up here in the Great White North. I have practiced drawing it from the pouch at home. I have found that I have to leave the zippers just far enough apart to stick a finger between them to open it quickly. Stick a finger between them and pull forward to access my gun. Also, I usually wear it cross draw. I find it easy to access it this way. At least for me.
So far, the only real downfall that I have found with it is the fact that the gun is not secured to the back of the pouch. What I mean is, the gun "leans" forward in the pouch. I wish that there were a small strap inside the pouch to hold the gun in-place. The Gun Runner had this and it worked great. It did not get in the way in the least.
Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recall one story about someone who bought a bright colorful fanny pack at Wal-Mart and modified it. It really doesn't scream 'gun' as much as a black or olive drab one :)

An expensive one I've heard good things about is the Wilderness Safepacker...designed, I believe, for search and rescue types of situations where protecting the firearm in rough terrain is needed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had one, I bought it because it looked like a good option, I got the small size from desantins, it looked awsome on the picture but in real life it was too big for my taste, did not like the looks of it on my belt, plus most of the people I knew before I bought it began asking " what do you carry in there?" etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts