Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ultra small and light 9mm available now if you have the money. I read about this gun several years ago. The inventor has made a good deal of progress and seems to be on the cusp of "ramping up" production. Good luck to him.

The Boberg XP-9: Concealed carry classy? - Guns.com

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
A little on the pricy side, but Very cool!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Very neat!
I always have this nagging thought when looking at the ultra-compacts. I can see myself, in a SHTF moment, going for a 2 handed grip and blowing my left index fingertip off...

Reactions: Willboat

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very neat!
I always have this nagging thought when looking at the ultra-compacts. I can see myself, in a SHTF moment, going for a 2 handed grip and blowing my left index fingertip off...
Not a pleasant thought but I was practicing a thumbs forward grip and had similar thought of having my thumbs too high and it getting torn by the slide.

I would love to see a valid report (definitely not likely) on the actual grip (one v two handed) in civilian defense situations. I am of the opinion its most likely a one handed grip at very close range and in the case of contact distance (skin on skin) its one handed without a doubt. This gets me to the point that I think so much training for shooting long distances with two hands is good for target practice but almost useless in real life and death situations (in the vast majority of cases). Sort of a false pretension to drum up business for firearm schools to have extended and highly irrelevant training to extend hours and FEES.

Funny how this led to a rant. :guns:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Rant away!
I prefer to call it "sharing of opinions".

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is pricy but just imagine us big guys could hide that thing under our armpits without a holster ;) :) !!
On a few occasions I have used under arm carry! Came to my attention IIRC from Eugene Socket's excellent book, Secrets of Street Survival: Israeli Style

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
From the article: By the nature of their design, these handguns have always suffered from the handicap of short barrels and bad sights usually sacrifices to the axiom “smaller is better”. The fact is though that the shorter the barrel, the shorter the sight radius, and the less likely the pistol will put rounds on target at a distance which can play a significant factor in a gunfight.

I must respectfully disagree with this part. IMO most confrontations we'll likely find ourselves in will not require great accuracy. The incident will occur within a few feet. Thus no need for a major concern of a short sight radius.

Just one man's view of course.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the article: By the nature of their design, these handguns have always suffered from the handicap of short barrels and bad sights usually sacrifices to the axiom “smaller is better”. The fact is though that the shorter the barrel, the shorter the sight radius, and the less likely the pistol will put rounds on target at a distance which can play a significant factor in a gunfight.

I must respectfully disagree with this part. IMO most confrontations we'll likely find ourselves in will not require great accuracy. The incident will occur within a few feet. Thus no need for a major concern of a short sight radius.

Just one man's view of course.
I agree with you on that...I think Eger must have had a brain freeze or he simply is warning us of the possibility (low probability) of the need for good sights. I would prefer a longer barrel for the increase in energy and penetration generated by that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The design allows a 3.35" barrel length. Look at any subcompact 9mm that and they're typically in the 3-3.12" barrel length range (Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9, Taurus 709, etc.), and are still longer overall.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Neat variation on 100+ year old technology but hardly deserving of "gun of the future" status.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The design allows a 3.35" barrel length. Look at any subcompact 9mm that and they're typically in the 3-3.12" barrel length range (Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9, Taurus 709, etc.), and are still longer overall.
Good point...but I still would like a longer barrel...3.5 to 4.0 inches and I'm happy (I wonder how many women have said the same thing). The article concentrated on the shorty version of the pistol.

After re-reading the article, I can have what I want - if I wasn't so cheap. According to the author: "The truly revolutionary thing about this handgun, its that it the standard size model uses a 4.2-inch barrel, yet is only 5.8 inches long overall."

I visited Boberg site very impressive. This page has detailed descriptions and images of the pistols Boberg is producing http://www.bobergarms.com/#!products/c6ae very impressive ballistics.

In the Accessories section for $40 for guys like me I could get the short pistol with an upgrade to a 4.2 inch barrel. I like the way this guy thinks. As far as I know the other manufacturers don't offer this option...have to go to outside barrel manufacturer for a lot more than $40!

Gun is expensive. Looking at MSRP $995-$1399!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts