Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use s OLight on mu G2C but been thinking of ditching that and going with a good handheld light. While the gun light is nice and bright, the area it light up is small. I was looking at some flashlights but always like to hear what people use and what they like/dislike on it.

What I am looking for is something that uses 18650 batteries (got a ton of them), easy to go momentary, strobe or on, and decent brightness.

One I been looking at is the ThruNite TN12 2016. I may end up just doing a combo of Olight and flashlight. But I really don't want a light for my other gun and don't want to swap.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I’m sure there are a lot of good lights. I use a hand held light so I can hold it away from my body incase someone would shoot at the light. Also if I want to use the light and not show or point a gun. I use a Ten-Tap Programmable Streamlight. It has a 1000 Luman beam, strobe, and a low beam. It is programmable to change to different beams and no strobe. The battery is rechargeable using a usb charger and cable from my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’m biased towards a gun light and have it in the pistol I keep by my bed,
A gun light gives you the tremendous advantage that you don’t have to use the sights knowing where in the circle of light will your bullets land. Also you can hold and shoot the gun away from your body while using it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking I might go both. I got a few good normal 18650 powered flashlights that are nice and bright and can use them for now. Maybe I will have a Christmas in July and get a good flahslight. But for npw, stupid doctor bills come first.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The only light I have on a gun is a Surefire Responder forearm on the Remington 1100 I built as a house gun. Where the densest part of the beam goes, the muzzle goes. Put the top of that part of the beam where you want to hit and man sized targets ain't safe out to about 35 feet. Gotta see the target to hit it, I like my shootin' accurate and 90-100 lumens do a passable job of shedding some light on the situation..

With handguns, I like separate lights. I can hold the light away from the body or use any one of several flashlight techniques. It's easier to find holsters that way, too.

Besides, a 3 or 4 D-cell Maglight (there's 3 of them in the house- by the head of the bed beside the foot of the headboard and within arm's reach of each door- and another in every vehicle in the driver's side door map pocket) makes a fair to middling melee weapon of things go to crap. You can hurt more than feelings with one of those things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see benifits to both. I might use both. I have an odd situation since I am a below knee amputee. So dependong ob situation, I might not have time to put my leg on so crawling ob knees is how I will have to movie. Our house has a good choke point since I assume the best way to get in is back of the house. I have a doorway and hallway with cover and some other stuff for cover. Even with leg on, my mobility is limited and sometimes need free hand to balance when walking. Life throws you some fun curve balls at times. I wont get into my "alarm system" setup other than it invloves a 11,000 lumen LED light that is, well blinding to someone who looks in it's direction. My advantage, not theirs. heh.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have good night vision. I had some TrugloTFX and it helped me none. My other gun will have a XS Sight Big Dot (wish they had it for the G2C). But I also have a setup that will light up the room and with me in the hall, whomever comes in the house wont be able to see me. 11k lumens is bright as hell. They will be lit up like daytime for me.

A flashlight shows where YOU are .

A good set of night sights and let the bad guy come to you

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm trained to use a flashlight in my off hand and a pistol in my strong hand, so that's what I tend to favor. Also, I prefer being able to shine the light at something without having to point my gun at it. I don't have anything special, just a 3 AA LED with button on the bottom so I can thumb activate it. No idea what brand it is, but I own several of them because they're cheap and built well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't say I like regular tiny flashlights. I like massive ones. I bought a few and put them in different rooms just in case. There have been frequent power outages in my neighborhood lately, so a flashlight is an indispensable friend. Sometimes I have to eat dinner by lantern light or go to the shower. I bought them here on the advice of my good friend https://www.thegrommet.com/products/vont-collapsible-led-lantern-set-of-2. They do a great job with their function. They shine very far, have a sturdy body, and last a long time without recharging. It's a great thing to have in every home. And the tiny flashlights are like a child's toy to me.

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
I don't use a gun mounted light. I spent too much effort learning to not point a gun at anything I'm not willing to destroy to use it to explore my environment. I also tend to keep my firearm near my body... not where I'd want a BG to aim. Holding the light off to the side just makes too much sense to me.
On specific lights... you can't believe light output claims. If you could, you could have a handheld pencil flashlight that puts out more light than the landing lights on a 747. There is a youtube channel that runs honest comparisons of light output and battery life, as well as ruggedness. Look up "Torque Test Channel". After all, you want to have your lights properly torqued, don't you? :D

·
Registered
950 Posts
I don't use a gun mounted light. I spent too much effort learning to not point a gun at anything I'm not willing to destroy to use it to explore my environment. I also tend to keep my firearm near my body... not where I'd want a BG to aim. Holding the light off to the side just makes too much sense to me.
On specific lights... you can't believe light output claims. If you could, you could have a handheld pencil flashlight that puts out more light than the landing lights on a 747. There is a youtube channel that runs honest comparisons of light output and battery life, as well as ruggedness. Look up "Torque Test Channel". After all, you want to have your lights properly torqued, don't you? :D
Are you suggesting that something like this is a bad idea? :p

Engineering Personal protective equipment Thumb Fixture Machine

I am old-school, too. Not going to mount a light on something that I am going to be pointing at others that could also accidentally kill them or put a nice, bright beacon directly in front of my head.

Back in my cop days, I was trained to hold the light in my non-gun hand and hold it away from me in case the other person is armed and decides to shoot at the light. I am fine with that method even to this day!

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
Are you suggesting that something like this is a bad idea? :p

View attachment 491631
I am old-school, too. Not going to mount a light on something that I am going to be pointing at others that could also accidentally kill them or put a nice, bright beacon directly in front of my head.

Back in my cop days, I was trained to hold the light in my non-gun hand and hold it away from me in case the other person is armed and decides to shoot at the light. I am fine with that method even to this day!
I dunno... I do kind of like the hood ornament.

·
Registered
37,946 Posts
I quit using a light on my pistol when my car broke down one night on a really dark road and I popped the hood and raised it and pointed my flashlight at the engine and promptly shot a hole in the Block!

Outerwear Sleeve T-shirt Font Logo

Reactions: CaptainMorgan
1 - 20 of 24 Posts