Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to see this thread pertain specifically to gear used and scores achieved in any gun game (specifically IDPA/USPSA/IPSC/Steel Challenge)

As far as gear try to be as specific as possible with what you are using so new shooters to the sport can get an idea of what works for different guys.

I'd like to see belt, mag pouches, holsters and gun described.
Also if you could state what division and class you are shooting in.

Last night was my 2nd foray into USPSA, I shoot a glock 17 gen 4 stock. I use a volund gear works atlas belt, hideous holster stealth holster and 2 uncle mike's double mag pouches. I'm unclassified as of now, but trying to get the match director to do a classifier match sometime soon, as almost all of our shooters are currently unclassified.

I placed 3rd overall 215 out of 295 possible points
stage 1
2nd place 78.8 out of 95 pts
stage 2
3rd place 95.8 out of 150 pts
stage 3
2nd place 40.5 out of 50 pts

I started on stage 2, shake off the cobwebs and tried to run it too fast.

Stage 1 hurt, I had a near perfect run going, but the last target to be engaged was a swinger, it did not engage off of the steel and nobody noticed til I got to it. Had to re-shoot and did not perform nearly as well the second time.

Stage 3 consisted of 3 steel at 10-12-15 paper at 20 freestyle then 3 steel at 10-12-15 paper at 20 Strong hand only.

Overall I had no penalties of any kind, no no-shoots, no misses and no procedurals. I'm proud I didn't make any mental errors, just need to slow down a bit and make good hits.

I hope this can be an ongoing thread, where we can compare (brag a little) and help each other out. I'll be shooting USPSA weekly at my local range, also shooting steel and IDPA once a month or so.

While gun games are far from realistic (most of the time) I believe them to be beneficial training opportunities. The pressure of the timer and peers looking on is great. Also the timer and targets don't lie!

I strongly encourage anyone even thinking of shooting a match to just go out and watch! Most of the times clubs will let first time shooters shoot free. If you're unsure of what you need, I would be greatly surprised if another competitor did not offer to help you out. I carry 2 extra generic double stack mag pouches and a holster for any 9mm glock, myself just in case.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No USPSA for me last night, but I did get to shoot a couple drums through a SAW during a Thermal Weapons Optics Class.

Nothing like hitting a green ivan @ 800m with a 3-5 round burst!

There's got to be a couple other guys that shoot competitively on this forum, right?

·
Super Moderator
40,413 Posts
I keep saying I am going to stop by during one of the local range IDPA practice days, just have not done it yet. Not sure I have the time to commit to it.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just go to local matches, no more than a half hour drive from my apt.

It's maybe 3-4 hours of shooting, but most of it is watching. Most of our matches are between 60-100 rounds.

I encourage everyone who shoots to at least attend one and see if it's worth while, I think you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No USPSA for me last night, but I did get to shoot a couple drums through a SAW during a Thermal Weapons Optics Class.

Nothing like hitting a green ivan @ 800m with a 3-5 round burst!

There's got to be a couple other guys that shoot competitively on this forum, right?
Man you infantry guys have all the fun. I haven't heard the term green ivan in a while.:)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's an insult whiskey! no 11b here. I'm just some dumb truck driver that played cavalry overseas.

I did convoy security in the Stan. Maybe drove 100 miles out of the 10000+ we put in overseas! I was behind the gun 99.9% of the time, and more often then not we had a patch 'em up guy (medic such as yourself) in our truck.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
That's an insult whiskey! no 11b here. I'm just some dumb truck driver that played cavalry overseas.

I did convoy security in the Stan. Maybe drove 100 miles out of the 10000+ we put in overseas! I was behind the gun 99.9% of the time, and more often then not we had a patch 'em up guy (medic such as yourself) in our truck.
Sorry brother! My bad.:) For some reason any time I hear SAW I automatically think 11b. I should know better.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
USPSA Match 15 may 2012

Stage 1
95.7 of 150 pts 10th place
Went in thinking speed, got shooting and went slow and picked up shots I didn't need to, too slow.

Stage 2
38 of 105 pts 11th place
First Texas Star, nailed the first 2 plates 3rd kicked me hind nailed 4 and 5, good hits on paper, too slow

Stage 3
49 of 90 pts 7th place
Good stage for me just a little slow, one miss on a swinger.

9th out of 19 production shooters. Not too happy with my shooting tonight, need to set a game plan and stick to it.

New ameriglo defoor sights on my g17 were good.
New pistol pouches from kytex gear, should have practiced on mag changes more, but they smoothed over the night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts