Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thos of yall that have non-resident CCL's and travel, How do you guys do this without breaking the law...??

Do yall map the gun free school zones before your trip and just unload and lock your gun away over and over...?? I mean many cities, etc have so many danged schools that its pretty much impossible to even carry without breaking this law.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Many laws are there just so they can getcha if they want to.
But driving past a school is not a crime.
In Ohio you can pull onto the school property to pick up your child while carrying.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
To better understand your thread/post, are you saying that you are planning a trip to a school out of your state,
perhaps for a sporting event?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Generally speaking, having a gun on you as a CCW holder in a school zone isn't a problem. Taking it in the school is a different issue.

Of of course you need to know the rules where you are, or are traveling. I use a CCW app that keeps up to date on all state laws that I refer to when traveling on vacation.

·
10,379 Posts
They have to prove intent. If you're travelling, how in the heck can you be expected to know where the schools are? Therefor, no intent can be proven. Now, if you're pulling on school grounds in an illegal state (WI requires cased and unloaded on school grounds) then they could get you, but AFAIK no one in any state has ever been hooked on a GFSZ violation yet...the only ones I've heard about have been thrown out before they made it to court.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
As long as you aren't at the front door with something tucked in your waist, you should be fine. I know it's usually like 1000 ft. perimeter, but if that's the case they would arrest a large portion of Pennsylvanians for driving by schools and having guns in their homes.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Driving past a school while armed, even within the boundaries of the Federally mandated Criminal Empowerment Zone, is not a crime. In Georgia, you can have a firearm in your car while on school grounds only if you have a GWCL. There is supposedly a provision to allow actual on-person carry while picking up or dropping off a student, but that law has a lot of holes in it. Anyone who tries to exercise that right better be prepared to be arrested and fight it out in court.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Tricky question indeed. In Iowa, driving by a school is just fine, but penalties increase if you commit a crime within the school gun zone. However, you can't come on actual school property or you have created a felony. Parking in the school lot and leaving the gun in the car is not okay, you have to park off school property or technically you've committed a felony unless you have written permission from the school to carry on grounds.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
This is state by state laws and they do differ. NC just recently passed common sense laws making it legal to have a gun in you vehicle on school property as long as it is locked in the vehicle and the vehicle is locked as soon as you enter or exit. Before that if you drove onto school property to pick up your child and had a gun in the vehicle you could and would be charged.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Well, the key to this is, don't speed in a school zone or do anything that will cause a LEO to pull you over. See how easy that is.:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
That's tough and varies by state.

For example in your home state you might be exempt with a CHL, that's how it is in Texas for example. When I pick my daughter up at school I carry all the time. As long as I don't go in the building I'm fine.

Now if I was traveling in another state and a friend asked me to pick up their kid as school then it might be illegal.

If I am just on a road passing through I don't worry about it. That's just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I remember reading somewhere if you are traveling on a state/county/city road or right of way that goes through a school zone you are not in violation of the Federal Gun Free Zone. If you commit some form of crime in that zone then charges can be added for the gun free zone, however just passing through you are fine.

I will have to see if I can find the source.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The letter of the federal law specifies a permit issued by that state. No provision for reciprocity. Now as to whether a judge would interpret it to include any permit recognized by the state you are in is questionable. Probably be subject to the judges general opinion of 2A rights. Too bad judges and congress members don't have to pass basic Constitutional classes before they are allowed to take office.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a Federal law...NOT state.

"With a non-resident license from another state, you would not be exempt from Title 18 USC 922(q) the "Federal Gun Free School Zones Act" and would therefore be subject to five years in federal prison each and every time you drive within 1000 feet of a school. You would not be able to legally carry in any developed area (school zone), except in the state issuing the license, due to the number of schools. Upon conviction, you would also be permanently disqualified from possessing guns for the rest of your life."

I called on this when I was going to get my non resident Arizona license for traveling purposes next year. NON residents of the states they are traveling in are technically breaking the law every time they pass within this 1000ft zone EVEN though the state they are traveling in recognizes their home state CCL. The handgun/firearm must be unloaded and locked away in a storage container.

This ludricous law needs to be amended because people travel everyday and probably didn't even know they were breaking the law.

The good news is that most local, county, and state police do not enforce federal law.(I bet 99% of them don't even know about the law). The bad news is if the rare unicorn event actually happens, a person is facing defending himself against a federal felony.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
At my daughters high school, it's only unlawful for me to carry on the property or in the school. In my car is not a violation as long as it stays there and I have a CWP.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
This is a Federal law...NOT state.

"With a non-resident license from another state, you would not be exempt from Title 18 USC 922(q) the "Federal Gun Free School Zones Act" and would therefore be subject to five years in federal prison each and every time you drive within 1000 feet of a school. You would not be able to legally carry in any developed area (school zone), except in the state issuing the license, due to the number of schools. Upon conviction, you would also be permanently disqualified from possessing guns for the rest of your life."

I called on this when I was going to get my non resident Arizona license for traveling purposes next year. NON residents of the states they are traveling in are technically breaking the law every time they pass within this 1000ft zone EVEN though the state they are traveling in recognizes their home state CCL. The handgun/firearm must be unloaded and locked away in a storage container.

This ludricous law needs to be amended because people travel everyday and probably didn't even know they were breaking the law.

The good news is that most local, county, and state police do not enforce federal law.(I bet 99% of them don't even know about the law). The bad news is if the rare unicorn event actually happens, a person is facing defending himself against a federal felony.
It all depends on whether or not the states and localities want to enforce it.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
From what I read while trying to back up my original post the Federal Law is pretty clear. It would be up to the jurisdiction you are in to charge you.

This was written in Texas, and should apply to any state the same.

Federal Law:
-It is a federal crime for a person to possess a firearm which has moved through interstate commerce (which is virtually all of them), on the grounds of or within 1000 feet of a public, parochial, or private school. Basically, as surprising as it may seem, under this federal law, the mere possession of a firearm by the occupant of a motor vehicle while driving past a school or dropping off a child, is a federal crime. However, this is rarely enforced and there are seven broad exceptions to this law:

1. If the possession is on private property which is not part of the school grounds. This means that a person living within 1000 feet of a school can keep a firearm in their house.
  2. A CHL holder may carry a concealed firearm into a "gun free school zone." There is one big catch, though. A person can only lawfully carry in a school zone located in the state that issued the CHL. Therefore, if a person has a Texas CHL they can only carry through Texas school zones. If that Texas CHL holder is traveling through another state, the exception under federal law does not apply to them and they are in violation of this law. It also means that a Texas resident, who holds a non-resident out-of-state CHL, does not benefit from this exception and is in violation of the law if they take a firearm into a school zone.
  3. If the firearm is not loaded, and is in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle. This means that if a firearm is unloaded and carried in a locked case, or other type of locked container, such as a glove box or trunk, there is no violation of the federal law.
  4. If the firearm is carried by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone. This exception covers school sponsored shooting activities, such as the ROTC program.
  5. If the firearm is carried by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual. This means that school security guards can carry firearms while on the job.
  6. If the firearm is carried by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity. This exception covers police officers while on duty only, it does not appear to cover them while they are off duty, even if they are required to carry by state law while off duty.
  7. If the firearm is unloaded and is in the possession of an individual while traversing school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities. This means that if a hunter must cross school property to get to a lawful hunting ground, they must have the permission of the school and the firearm must be unloaded.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
As a West Virginian and a CCer I can keep an unloaded gun in my car on school property.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I found out that in AZ, if you live within 1k feet of a school zone, you are allowed to own gun inside your home, but must go through all the unloading and separate locked storage and crap if you ever want to leave the house with any of them. Unless you have the AZ permit. their law definitely needs some revising to conform to the constitutional carry they passed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts