Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on another firearm forum and found it interesting if not a bit worrisome.
I will make no other comments as mine tend to come out as they appear inside my head.
Not always good.
Torstar is reportedly a rather liberal news entity and a rather large one at that in Canada.
The list of forums related to the article are found near the bottom of the scroll.

Who owns who in the forum world

Reactions: one42A

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Interesting, isn't it? I wonder what their objective is.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Oh this is not going to end well.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
All the more reason to provide as little information about yourself as possible in your profile - especially about guns owned. Luckily, I've never been one to flaunt my collection, because it's nobody's business but mine - and especially not fuel for the Left. Otherwise, not concerned of who "owns" the forum, as long as they stay off my lawn.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Awesome. They own some forums.

Like most things in the market, when wanted commodities become unavailable from legacy suppliers
new suppliers step in to fill the need.

If all these forums got closed down over night within a month there would be equivalents on the web
running. You can setup a web-server in your own home and feed content off of it. You are going to
have to purchase and maintain a web domain name. Your ISP is going to want you to get a true
web hosting account if you're using a lot of bandwidth but, it can be done.

I've run my own cloud server from home on a Rasperry Pi with GREAT success.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
All the more reason to provide as little information about yourself as possible in your profile - especially about guns owned. Luckily, I've never been one to flaunt my collection, because it's nobody's business but mine - and especially not fuel for the Left. Otherwise, not concerned of who "owns" the forum, as long as they stay off my lawn.
I hate to tell you but they are on your lawn as long as you're posting on their forums.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts

·
Administrator
35,573 Posts
I don't get the impression that anybody is rocking any particular boat. we've had three owners, the original one and two forum companies. When Flyer sold the forum, I was naturally worried about things....many things. But my experience has shown that when these companies buy the forum, they focus on the marketing and advertising, and leave the rest of the forum which includes running the day to day, alone. I can't recall a single instance where one of the owners or owner admins told us what to do from a moderation standpoint. And, I'd venture to say that if anything changed where legitimate gun content was being regulated, suppressed, or outright banished, any gun forum wouldn't be around very long because everybody would leave.

I'm not that worried, this is still a great place to come and break bread with like minded people. ;)

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
Dang someone caught on, you see the plan is to buy all the Gun Forums. As soon as they own them all they will just shut them down. A big conspiracy I tell you. Now where did I leave my tin foil hat?

·
Registered
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang someone caught on, you see the plan is to buy all the Gun Forums. As soon as they own them all they will just shut them down. A big conspiracy I tell you. Now where did I leave my tin foil hat?
Is this you?
Nice cat by the way.

images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I don't get the impression that anybody is rocking any particular boat. we've had three owners, the original one and two forum companies. When Flyer sold the forum, I was naturally worried about things....many things. But my experience has shown that when these companies buy the forum, they focus on the marketing and advertising, and leave the rest of the forum which includes running the day to day, alone. I can't recall a single instance where one of the owners or owner admins told us what to do from a moderation standpoint. And, I'd venture to say that if anything changed where legitimate gun content was being regulated, suppressed, or outright banished, any gun forum wouldn't be around very long because everybody would leave.

I'm not that worried, this is still a great place to come and break bread with like minded people. ;)
Agreed, as with all things internet, once it is out there, it is out there for good. Caveat Emptor (or whatever the appropriate Latin for an Internet user rather than a buyer,).

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Hmmm, the University of West Georgia is my back yard - Carrollton, Ga! Maybe I need to go have a greet and meet with this Dylan McLean and offer him a unique perspective on gun forums and US gun culture . . .

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
WOW look we're all part of a "Fringe Group"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts