Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOURCE:
Gun companies target women with pink pistols - Beaumont Enterprise

Gun companies target women with pink pistols By Dan Freedman and Jose D. Enriquez III Published 10:00 am, Sunday, February 10, 2013

Brenda Wells Deshotel shows us her Taurus 738 Pink TCP .380 handgun on Friday, February 8, 2013 , at her home in Orange. Deshotel received it for Christmas this past December. She also prides herself on her pink Winchester earmuffs. Photo taken: Randy Edwards/The Enterprise Photo: Randy Edwards

Much like Virginia Slim cigarettes, gun marketing to women has come a long way since the 1980s and 1990s, when Colt advertised handguns in the Ladies Home Journal and a poster featured reclining "Lady Derringer'' wielding the Old West favorite in a low-cut dress and black stockings.

Gun manufacturers and customizers market pink-colored semiautomatic rifles and handguns. One, an AR-15, depicts a rifle-holding "Hello Kitty'' cartoon character emblazoned on its pink stock.
Brenda Wells Deshotel got a pink .380 for Christmas. And she "loves it."

The Orange woman showed off the light-weight gun at her home on Friday.
"I was looking for a smaller gun to replace another gun I have," she said, adding her old gun didn't have a safety.
Deshotel said she isn't a hunter. She just likes to shoot off a few rounds now and again.
On Friday, she stood legs apart with her pink .380 held firmly in her hands. Her eyes narrowed as she found her target - her hair held back with bright pink ear muffs.

Deshotel loves her pink gun - both for its stylish color and accuracy. She dismisses claims that the gun looks like a toy.
"I had a friend who made a comment saying it looked like a toy," Deshotel said. "But I told her... it's just as deadly" as any other gun.

Buy Sunday's Enterprise to find out why so many women are arming themselves.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
My wife and daughters love their pinked out firearms. It doesn't bother me any I like duatone firearms more than the other options.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Whatever works to get more women into the sport

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That story must be hitting all the papers! I just saw it in the Houston Chronicle this morning. :)
The Beaumont Enterprise is "owned" by the Houston Chronicle, is physically printed by The Chronicle in Houston, and trucked during the middle of the night to Beaumont. Since the presses and other items at the Beaumont Enterprise building were destroyed by Hurricane Rita (the building is adjacent to the river), most of the Enterprise is "created" in Houston, as most of the local staff, reporters, and photographers were laid off when the Chronicle took over production of the paper.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
My wife wants a pink AR

Reactions: darbo

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
The Beaumont Enterprise is "owned" by the Houston Chronicle, is physically printed by The Chronicle in Houston, and trucked during the middle of the night to Beaumont. Since the presses and other items at the Beaumont Enterprise building were destroyed by Hurricane Rita (the building is adjacent to the river), most of the Enterprise is "created" in Houston, as most of the local staff, reporters, and photographers were laid off when the Chronicle took over production of the paper.
I never knew. Interesting. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd prefer a nice flourish design in black on shiny silver, or perhaps shiny silver flourish on flat black. I'd even like a shiny crow, crow feather, crow in flight or something equally mystical on flat black. Perhaps a few small bling stones inset. Yep-call me crazy.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
28,673 Posts
I think that is terrible.
Look, you might not agree with their decision to buy a pink gun. Given the confusion in our schools where they are expelling kids for toy guns, that is even reasonable.
But to target them just for making a legal choice... that's just wrong.
People should not be targeted for making legal choices. This is the very reason I am against drone strikes without judicial review. Yesterday it was terrorists, now it's women with pink guns. Who's next?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
A few months ago the City of Chattanooga ,Tn. was proposing to place a ban on colored handguns. It was on the news they said that it made them too attractive to children so they were going to ban them. I don't know what became of it. As far as I know the entire City Council and Mayor are liberal democrats.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A few months ago the City of Chattanooga ,Tn. was proposing to place a ban on colored handguns. It was on the news they said that it made them too attractive to children so they were going to ban them. I don't know what became of it. As far as I know the entire City Council and Mayor are liberal democrats.
So what were they going to do, make people paint their guns black? Write on them with a Sharpie a disclaimer "NOT A TOY"? Apply a sticker with one of those stickman warnings on it, showing the kid and a pistol with a circle and line through it? I thought the Fed law already covered all this when they said you must store firearms in a way so that they are inaccessible to children. The signs all over the gun counters remind us of this.

Oh, and I got news for the Chatt TN council: the fact that it's a GUN makes it attractive to [some] children! The color does not matter.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I get the marketing gimmick and if Taurus or anyone else made a handgun with pink grips for breast cancer awareness, I'd proudly own and shoot a pink gun. What about the whole Zombie gun and ammo marketing campaign? Who are they trying to lure into buying THOSE guns? Walking Dead fans or grown ups with serious delusions about a zombie apocalypse? ;-) I mean really, we should draw the line with the whole biohazard insignia and the green slime painted on the frames don't you think? I'm joking of course, whatever it takes to sell their guns to new shooters is ok with me, I'm just drawn to the more "old school" stuff. Fine wood and gleaming metal does it for me.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
LOL. None of the women in my family will touch a pink gun. Offer one up in blued or stainless with black furniture, and you can't keep them away from it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts