Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a huge difference between gun club types across the country? I was just reading an article about how some large clubs were going about increasing their membership with (free shooting classes for non-shooters in this case) membership drives, etc.

But around here they seem very elitist. Club rules only allow enrollment once a year. The size of the club is limited. Etc.

Are there that many shooters who are that self-absorbed?

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
235 Posts
A thing I have noticed about clubs of any sort..guns, hunting, cars, is that most people that belong to them are elitists. I had one guy who was telling about how great his car club was and all this crap. Then he goes on to say that you go through a "prospective member" period, you HAVE to have their sticker on your car, you then get voted into the club, MUST attend their meetings, and can't be a member of any other car club.

Well, I no longer belong to ANY club of any sort because I'm tired of that group stuff while people try to direct how you live. Screw that. Most of the people around here are exactly how you mentioned, so I avoid them.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
threefortyduster Most of the people around here are exactly how you mentioned said:
Well I hope you were talking about clubs in your area, Because most I have met here seem pretty non elitist. I personally am too old to worry about clubs and who is in charge of the BS.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
threefortyduster, Have you visited the Wyoming Antelope Club? I went to observe twice, and was made to feel welcome. I forget his name, but the guy who was in charge of the S.A.S.S. shoots even took the time to give me a tour of the facility.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Some gun clubs can be similar to golf country clubs, which people join to achieve a perception of "elite" status. We have one such in our area (Portland, OR) that I have refused to join and pay over $200.00 for the privilege of doing so.

I found another, smaller club with annual dues of $20.00 to join instead.
:shooter:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Living in New Jersey you really don't have a choice but to join a gun club to enjoy the sport. Most, if not every town in Jersey has laws outlawing discharge of firearms within city limits. As a member of the Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club I paid $400 upfront just to join and now $175 each year. When I visit freinds in the Georgia mountains we walk outside his front door and shoot. Personally I don't get involved in the politics within the club, I just go shoot and leave.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's private land near my family where the owner has let the public shoot free for 65yrs. The regulars keep the place up and most folks are considerate. Two guys stopped by with a duece & a half with wood for the winter burn barrel. There's a dozen homemade benches on carpet covered dirt. The back ridge is 165yds with plenty of height variation in between for whatever targets you can bring or find, everything from golf balls to 6 foot propane canisters, which drop very nicely when hit with a 50BMG :D

I know where I'm going next 4th of July...

·
Registered
62 Posts
JimL said:
Is there a huge difference between gun club types across the country? I was just reading an article about how some large clubs were going about increasing their membership with (free shooting classes for non-shooters in this case) membership drives, etc.

But around here they seem very elitist. Club rules only allow enrollment once a year. The size of the club is limited. Etc.

Are there that many shooters who are that self-absorbed?

Thanks a million

JimL
I don't know about elitist, or self-absorbed. I do know that I have limited choices and it costs me $15 an hour to go to a shooting range. My gun club has among others, an indoor range that is open 24/7 and costs $150 a year. Do the math ... one trip a week times 52 weeks.

I wish I had land or access to land, but I don't. My gun club is the next best thing in my area.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The gun club I belong to is not elitist at all. There is no initiation fee, only an annual membership fee. The people who I have met there are usually very friendly, but most are there to shoot, not to socialize.

There are some other local clubs that I -suspect- may be elitist. One has an initiation fee of $750 plus the annual membership fee, plus you have to be 'sponsored' by a current member and be voted into the club.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.