Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
This is my first experience with GB.
I bid on a gun. I win the auction. Cool. I have five days to contact the seller. I want the gun so I don't wait. I call them first thing in the morning and I get BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ on the phone. OK, I think. They are busy. I'll try back. 20 minutes later I call and BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ. I'll try again later. ... Couple hours later, BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ.
This makes my radar go up, so I start to do some research. This is where I'll admit my part in this. I should have done this research on the seller BEFORE bidding, but I didn't. I trusted the A+ rating on GB.
But I can do math. Why would a seller have 3000 reviews per month??? Why 70,000 reviews in a year's time? That seems high. That seems fishy. Who made these reviews? I look on GB and the vast majority are from unverified buyers. So I click on some of these buyers/reviews and they have no verified purchases. This makes my radar turn on more.
So I go online and go to this seller's website and look at their Yelp reviews. They are terrible. They are consistent with the experience I am getting. They are posted by people who have been scammed on GB by this seller. They say you cannot contact this seller by phone or email. All you get is BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ. Some people have lost their money. Some have got it back, or got their gun, but it took months - 8 months in one case, and a lot of trouble. Several people said the guns were not as advertised. They would get the gun and reject it and then they couldn't contact the seller in order to get their money back.
They say GB won't help you, and they are disappointed in GB allowing sellers like this on their site.
I have called these people and get no answer. I have emailed them with no reply. I have read their bad reviews.

You think I'm gonna send them any $$$??? I didn't just fall off the punkin' wagon.
The only consequence I can see is a warning from GB that I may not be able to bid with them any more.
I can live with that. The seller won't even answer their phone. You think I'm going to send them a week's wages and hope for the best??? Not.
Yup. I would bail to. GB will be no help if there is a problem. It is an agreement between you and the seller. If you are unable to get in touch with the seller with a concern I would consider that a no sale.

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
GunBroker isn't going to anything to you over it. you've done your due diligence in attempting to contact the seller and have not received a reply. If anything, you'll be able to leave feedback indicating you couldn't contact the seller and you refused to send money to an unknown contact.

Reactions: JimmyA and PTDOUDE

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
Also, I forgot to add, ALWAYS check a seller's negative reviews. Nobody is perfect and can't please every customer so they'll have at least 1 negative review. They could have 5,000 sales and probably 10 or more negative reviews. Read them PRIOR to bidding.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
GunBroker isn't going to anything to you over it. you've done your due diligence in attempting to contact the seller and have not received a reply. If anything, you'll be able to leave feedback indicating you couldn't contact the seller and you refused to send money to an unknown contact.
This is exactly what I'm going to do.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I've done business through GB a few times - and it's been several years back. If I'm interested in an item, I'll make liaison with the seller via email first before I do anything regarding bidding or buying outright. Usually, there's something to be learned with that simple move. If I were not to get a reply, or get some kind of snarky remarks, it's over at that point. Usually, I get a decent reply answering my questions - which is just proper business.

Always trust your intuition, obviously. :)

·
Registered
28,167 Posts
I have only bought one gun on Gunbroker. It worked out fine. But this got me thinking, so I went to gunbroker.com to check a couple of things.
I found a site that had an A+ rating and over 20,000 reviews. Not as bad as OP's, but still kind of suspicious. On other sites like Amazon, I always look specifically at negative reviews to see what the company is doing wrong. Some negative reviews are as bogus as some positive reviews, but I get to make up my own mind.
But this exposed a basic flaw in the gunbroker software. You can't select only the negative reviews to look at. With the seller I was looking at, I took the trouble to start scrolling and the negative reviews I found were all similar... a product sold without being able to deliver. Refund given. This is understandable in view of the current supply chain, and not a total deal breaker for me. I would probably give that seller a try if they had what I wanted at a better price than others. Except that all of those positive reviews did look bogus. And that is a deal breaker.
But overall, I am not encouraged to shop gunbroker at all.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
......On other sites like Amazon, I always look specifically at negative reviews to see what the company is doing wrong. Some negative reviews are as bogus as some positive reviews, but I get to make up my own mind......
That's exactly the same strategy I use when reading product reviews. I start from the bottom up, all the while realizing that a good number of reviewers are whiny crybabies that will bitch about everything & anything. I'm mostly interested in the consensus of the 1 or 2 star reviews because a good number of them will reveal something you may not have considered before.

·
Super Moderator
21,934 Posts
I would make sure you Email them every day for 5 days. You can't prove a phone call. But you can document your Emails.

If your going to use a sight like them in the future. I would try and make contact before bidding asking a simple question.

I ran a large Ebay business out of a good size warehouse for a Charity that took in high end donations as in Estate or store closings.

We had a good size store that handled the large stuff. And would use the Ebay business to handle collectibles, high end women's purses, clothes,
Antiques and electronics.

Some of the stuff I sold could go for hundreds of dollars.

I did this by myself and answered questions on time as well as shipped all the sales within 24 hours. For 4 years. I did get help if I needed to ship all day.

The Company held a 100% positive review. We had a strong CS set of rules. If a person was not happy I normally refunded their purchase or did what I could to make them happy.
And yes I had difficult customers.

When I had a permanent partner we did over $3000 in sales in under a month. It was a busy job, but very rewarding.

It is possible for someone to have 100% positive reviews but you really need to have a great customer service department!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I would make sure you Email them every day for 5 days. You can't prove a phone call. But you can document your Emails.

If your going to use a sight like them in the future. I would try and make contact before bidding asking a simple question.

I ran a large Ebay business out of a good size warehouse for a Charity that took in high end donations as in Estate or store closings.

We had a good size store that handled the large stuff. And would use the Ebay business to handle collectibles, high end women's purses, clothes,
Antiques and electronics.

Some of the stuff I sold could go for hundreds of dollars.

I did this by myself and answered questions on time as well as shipped all the sales within 24 hours. For 4 years. I did get help if I needed to ship all day.

The Company held a 100% positive review. We had a strong CS set of rules. If a person was not happy I normally refunded their purchase or did what I could to make them happy.
And yes I had difficult customers.

When I had a permanent partner we did over $3000 in sales in under a month. It was a busy job, but very rewarding.

It is possible for someone to have 100% positive reviews but you really need to have a great customer service department!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Agreed.

I have 100% positive rating on eBay, but I always accurately described what I sold, shipped same day or next day, and never had one single complaint. It is interesting how some people will put things up for sale and then treat shipping as if it were an afterthought. "Oh, I'll get it to the post office some time next week when it is convenient for me".

·
Registered
86 Posts
This seller has a nearly 575,000 reviews on GB. Why so many? I'm suspicious that they are mostly made up ones, to offset the bad ones.

EDIT. I've done a little research. Went to the seller's website. It has a 2 star rating on Yelp with mostly terrible reviews. Those reviews were very consistent with my experience so far. Unless something changes drastically I will not be sending them any $$$. Good thing I didn't rush off and put the check in the mail and hope to see my gun any time soon. Feel like I dodged a bullet.
Most of the good reviews on GB were from non-verified customers.
Contact GB immediately and point this out to them! The rest of us depend on folks who notice things like this to warn us of a potential scammer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, who is this seller? There is no reason to keep it secret!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So, who is this seller? There is no reason to keep it secret!!!
Let me think on that....
The five days have come and gone and no word from the seller. I've already been talking to GB. I'll let them know the outcome.
The thing that got my attention was no one could get in touch with this seller. At least one person gave up trying and lost his money. Who doesn't answer their phone???? I found most of the negative reviews on Yelp - and they sounded like I had written them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As both a seller and buyer on GunBroker, it is only as good as the buyer and seller, respectively.

Unsolicited advice for Buyers:
  • Read the listing information and be sure to ask for, and receive, clarifications on ANYTHING BEFORE placing a bid
  • Understand that your bid is a commitment to buy. Saying "Oops," I did not mean or want to buy wastes the time of the seller and squanders their opportunity to make a sale as there is no mechanism in GB to aware auction to next highest bidder.
  • Look for sellers with a CHECK next to their username as their identity has been verified by GB. They are who is listed in their profile and, I believe, makes it that much more difficult for the seller to pull crap, get banned from GB under their current username and then pop back up under a different username.
  • Contact sellers immediately through the GB messaging system (gets all communications "on the record") after your win. Even if you are going to be slightly delayed in paying, have seen sellers, including myself, cut buyers slack in working through delays together. No such thing as "over communicating!"
  • Remember, not everyone is a crook or a store. Many, including myself, are individual sellers (side gig) and have other full time jobs. Responses back may not be immediate.
Unsolicited advice for Sellers:
  • Explain EVERYTHING in your listings, description of item, and particulars/limitations on shipping costs, locations shipped to and payment method(s). Here, too, no such things as "over communicating!"
  • Provide clarifications back in timely fashion, where possible, to all inquires for clarifications on auction listing. Respond to VM and Texts, but try to move it to the GB messaging system to get correspondences "on the record." This will help both seller and buyer should things get off the rails as GB can then access these to rule on disputes.
  • Get verified and get that CHECK next to your username! What do you have to hide from? Nothing! If you are an honorable person and will treat people justly and respectfully.
  • Contact buyers immediately after their wins and try to point them in the direction of the invoice for the item purchased. I go so far as to send them the link for the invoice. Understand that something there are mitigating circumstances with purchase and buyers being delayed in getting payments done. But, be clear with expectations as this is a business transaction, even for side gigs.
I have met many good and honorable people of the 2A community through GB, and have to remind myself of this, when, on the rare occasion, the person (buyer or seller) turns out to be a royal JACKWAGON!!!

Both buyer and sellers, perform your due diligence every time, be honorable and, if not nice, at least respectful.

- BS

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
As both a seller and buyer on GunBroker, it is only as good as the buyer and seller, respectively.

Unsolicited advice for Buyers:
  • Read the listing information and be sure to ask for, and receive, clarifications on ANYTHING BEFORE placing a bid
  • Understand that your bid is a commitment to buy. Saying "Oops," I did not mean or want to buy wastes the time of the seller and squanders their opportunity to make a sale as there is no mechanism in GB to aware auction to next highest bidder.
  • Look for sellers with a CHECK next to their username as their identity has been verified by GB. They are who is listed in their profile and, I believe, makes it that much more difficult for the seller to pull crap, get banned from GB under their current username and then pop back up under a different username.
  • Contact sellers immediately through the GB messaging system (gets all communications "on the record") after your win. Even if you are going to be slightly delayed in paying, have seen sellers, including myself, cut buyers slack in working through delays together. No such thing as "over communicating!"
  • Remember, not everyone is a crook or a store. Many, including myself, are individual sellers (side gig) and have other full time jobs. Responses back may not be immediate.
Unsolicited advice for Sellers:
  • Explain EVERYTHING in your listings, description of item, and particulars/limitations on shipping costs, locations shipped to and payment method(s). Here, too, no such things as "over communicating!"
  • Provide clarifications back in timely fashion, where possible, to all inquires for clarifications on auction listing. Respond to VM and Texts, but try to move it to the GB messaging system to get correspondences "on the record." This will help both seller and buyer should things get off the rails as GB can then access these to rule on disputes.
  • Get verified and get that CHECK next to your username! What do you have to hide from? Nothing! If you are an honorable person and will treat people justly and respectfully.
  • Contact buyers immediately after their wins and try to point them in the direction of the invoice for the item purchased. I go so far as to send them the link for the invoice. Understand that something there are mitigating circumstances with purchase and buyers being delayed in getting payments done. But, be clear with expectations as this is a business transaction, even for side gigs.
I have met many good and honorable people of the 2A community through GB, and have to remind myself of this, when, on the rare occasion, the person (buyer or seller) turns out to be a royal JACKWAGON!!!

Both buyer and sellers, perform your due diligence every time, be honorable and, if not nice, at least respectful.

- BS
Nice run-down. I have had 100% success as a buyer on GunBroker and have met some really outstanding people. As a whole, I don't know another group of people that are more friendly and genuine as "gun people".

21 - 35 of 35 Posts