Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently won a GB auction. Before sending off my money order, I want to talk to the seller. I tried calling them and the line is always busy. I emailed but haven't heard back. This seller has an A+ rating, but there is a phenomenal number of reviews posted. Over 3000 reviews in one month, almost 70,000 reviews in the past year! This makes my radar turn on. Seems you could offset a few bad reviews by posting a butt-load of good ones. If I don't hear back, I'm not sending any money. What can they do to me? Not let me bid on GB anymore? I've lived 66 years without GB so I think I could survive without them. I would contact GB and tell them why I decided not to go through with the deal, if I do decide not to send off the money order. Thanks for reading this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This seller has a nearly 575,000 reviews on GB. Why so many? I'm suspicious that they are mostly made up ones, to offset the bad ones.

EDIT. I've done a little research. Went to the seller's website. It has a 2 star rating on Yelp with mostly terrible reviews. Those reviews were very consistent with my experience so far. Unless something changes drastically I will not be sending them any $$$. Good thing I didn't rush off and put the check in the mail and hope to see my gun any time soon. Feel like I dodged a bullet.
Most of the good reviews on GB were from non-verified customers.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Many gun enthusiasts seem to love doing business on GB & are very good at it, BUT, like you, I get leery of sellers whose stats don't add up so I've steered clear of those kinds of websites since day one. I don't like buying a firearm that I can't physically see & touch before I buy.

·
Super Moderator
21,934 Posts
Anyone including gun shops or Pawn shops can use Gun Broker. So a large business can put up dozens of guns at the same time.

I'm not sure about Gun Broker but many large businesses only accept certified buyer's, that means that they have done business with them. To make a review.

A winning bid is a contract and I would look into how to back out of a deal as it can actually effect your credit.

Please research all your bidding on their website before you actually make a bid. I believe it's stated right up front to make sure you ask all your questions before you bid.

If I'm wrong please jump In, as I just did a quick internet search to answer these questions. I have never used them but have read their rules about making a bid. I look over their auctions often. I hope I've helped.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
9,140 Posts
Gunbroker can be a great marketplace. However buyer beware. I have purchased several firearms off of gunbroker this year. But only sellers who offer payment by credit card. Usually the best deals only list paypal, zelle, & money orders as a payment vehicle. I stay away from those sellers. So far so good.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I've used GunBroker several dozen times over the last couple of years and never had a problem. I do look at the reviews before I engage in an auction that only accepts one-way payments. It would not bother me that someone had thousands of reviews, in fact it would give me a better comfort factor. I don't know how easy it is to put feedback on GunBroker, but if they've found a way to defeat the transaction based system, they probably won't be on there very long. You scenario doesn't give me pause at all. I'd follow through with my commitment.

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
MONEY ORDER???
de only people thet get Money orders frum me are my sister, her 6 kids and live in bouy friend that lives in Mexico!
know way eye am sending a money order to no buddy!
scuse me anglish.

Hand Arm Facial expression Vertebrate World

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Try to contact Gunbroker to explain your delima. They should be able to contact the seller and clear things up. I would not advise that you simply ignore your purchase. You are legally oblicagated to complete the transaction unless GB or the seller releases you from your bid.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I use GB quite often, however, they have had a lot of accounts get hacked lately. I always ask for a picture with something showing the date. Knock on wood, its been fine. Be advised GB customer service is virtually non existant

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Guess I have been lucky with GB purchases. Like others have said try only to bid on auctions that accept credit cards. I do not mind the 3 % extra for piece of mind. I believe there is a link to contact the seller by email. GB CS is non existent.

·
Super Moderator
21,934 Posts
What is the name of the online gun company that guarantees everything about the gun? I believe they will replace your gun if it's defective.

I can't remember what the company is called!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
Gunbroker can be a good place to do business and I've had a couple of higher dollar purchases as of late (oddly enough, both Henry Rifles). It always helps to research the seller as much as the item you want to bid on. For the last Rifle I got, it was the first time of transacting with a Money Order but the seller was very cordial and very professional in the transaction. I even mentioned that in the transaction review.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I recently won a GB auction. Before sending off my money order, I want to talk to the seller. I tried calling them and the line is always busy. I emailed but haven't heard back. This seller has an A+ rating, but there is a phenomenal number of reviews posted. Over 3000 reviews in one month, almost 70,000 reviews in the past year! This makes my radar turn on. Seems you could offset a few bad reviews by posting a butt-load of good ones. If I don't hear back, I'm not sending any money. What can they do to me? Not let me bid on GB anymore? I've lived 66 years without GB so I think I could survive without them. I would contact GB and tell them why I decided not to go through with the deal, if I do decide not to send off the money order. Thanks for reading this. Any feedback would be appreciated.
This seller has a nearly 575,000 reviews on GB. Why so many? I'm suspicious that they are mostly made up ones, to offset the bad ones.

EDIT. I've done a little research. Went to the seller's website. It has a 2 star rating on Yelp with mostly terrible reviews. Those reviews were very consistent with my experience so far. Unless something changes drastically I will not be sending them any $$$. Good thing I didn't rush off and put the check in the mail and hope to see my gun any time soon. Feel like I dodged a bullet.
Most of the good reviews on GB were from non-verified customers.
With all those sales, they may just be too busy to respond to a question that should've been asked BEFORE bidding. And, all that research should have been done BEFORE bidding. You do have to click on the "I have read and understand the terms..." box BEFORE bidding.

Reactions: BullShooot

·
Super Moderator
21,934 Posts
Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
47 Posts
i've had very good luck buying on GB. unless there's a boat load of good pictures i won't consider buying. if it's listed as "new" then pictures aren't necessary. and i check the feedback first. a simple spreadsheet gives me exact cost of buying the item before bidding. living in an area with limited gun shops makes it easier to justify buying on GB though i'd rather buy locally.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I need to see every less than perfect review. I need buy it now with cc, as little hidden fees as possible, and somebody that sounds American to pick up the phone and confirm that they are the seller and they listed the auction. Then I will place a bid
OR, and this is in very few instances when they are close,
I'll look past everything, win the bid, then show up with cash. Says right on the money it's good for anything. That trumps any of their preferred electric scam payment methods, saves me shipping, and puts a new rated seller in the pool.
If they are far away and unrated (which only happened to me once when looking for unavailable ammo) I will usually pass but in that instance I called and they had just recently started branching out through eBay and I confirmed it by calling their eBay and getting the same guy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This is my first experience with GB.
I bid on a gun. I win the auction. Cool. I have five days to contact the seller. I want the gun so I don't wait. I call them first thing in the morning and I get BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ on the phone. OK, I think. They are busy. I'll try back. 20 minutes later I call and BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ. I'll try again later. ... Couple hours later, BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ.
This makes my radar go up, so I start to do some research. This is where I'll admit my part in this. I should have done this research on the seller BEFORE bidding, but I didn't. I trusted the A+ rating on GB.
But I can do math. Why would a seller have 3000 reviews per month??? Why 70,000 reviews in a year's time? That seems high. That seems fishy. Who made these reviews? I look on GB and the vast majority are from unverified buyers. So I click on some of these buyers/reviews and they have no verified purchases. This makes my radar turn on more.
So I go online and go to this seller's website and look at their Yelp reviews. They are terrible. They are consistent with the experience I am getting. They are posted by people who have been scammed on GB by this seller. They say you cannot contact this seller by phone or email. All you get is BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ. Some people have lost their money. Some have got it back, or got their gun, but it took months - 8 months in one case, and a lot of trouble. Several people said the guns were not as advertised. They would get the gun and reject it and then they couldn't contact the seller in order to get their money back.
They say GB won't help you, and they are disappointed in GB allowing sellers like this on their site.
I have called these people and get no answer. I have emailed them with no reply. I have read their bad reviews.

You think I'm gonna send them any $$$??? I didn't just fall off the punkin' wagon.
The only consequence I can see is a warning from GB that I may not be able to bid with them any more.
I can live with that. The seller won't even answer their phone. You think I'm going to send them a week's wages and hope for the best??? Not.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Under the circumstances you cite in detail, I would definitely NOT pay them, consequences be damned.

Reactions: Taurus1965
1 - 20 of 35 Posts