Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilemma everyone. I hope some of you can give good advice as the gun shops around my area dont really want to help me out. Actually they ones with their own ranges dont even want to allow me to shoot a few rounds on their range to decide what gun is best for me.

Well I have a list of Taurus guns that seem to make me warm and fuzzy for lack of any better adjectives. If you can give me advice as to what is best for someone whos only handgun shooting experience was 10-11 years ago with a CO2 bb pistol, I will be grateful

24/7 PLS-9B-17 UPC 7-25327-60128-8
24/7 PLS-45B-12 7-25327-60165-4
PT1911B 7-25327-60102-9
82B4 7-25327-20072-7
66B4 7-25327-20013-0
444 MULTI 7-25327-35125-2
44 TRACKER4B 7-25327-35123-8
92B-17 7-25327-60052-7
99B-17 7-25327-60056-5

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
For new shooters, I usually recommend a good .22 revolver for the following reasons:

* .22 LR ammo is plentiful
* .22 LR in bulk is extremely inexpensive
* .22 LR tends to have almost no discernable recoil

That being said, you do run into some shooters who simply don't wish to go with a .22 for whatever reason, and want a larger caliber. If that's the case, I'll suggest a .375/.38 revolver or a 9mm pistol (depending on if their preference is for a wheelgun or autoloader)

Being that you have both on your list of potential buys, (along with .45 ACP and .44 Magnum) I'm going to go with suggesting the 66B.

With it you have the option of shooting both the .357 and the .38 Special. Revolvers are also typically easier for new shooters to learn on compared to pistols, though as with most things, that's not the case with every individual. The recoil with the .357 will also be more noticeable than the .38 but by no means unmanageable.

Generally, the 9mm is the least expensive of the above to shoot, save for the .22LR. I don't own a 24/7 but have only ever heard good things about them and there are many owners here who can give you their first hand experience regarding them. However, I have a PT92 which has been solidly reliable since day one and is easy to hit with. I have no problems recommending it and recommending it wholeheartedly.

If you put some Hogues on it as I did with mine, that makes it nicer still. :) If you check out the gallery I have two pictures of it posted.
I hope this has been of some help Bezoar and good luck with your search.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Taurus_9mm makes some very good suggestion. I too would recommend a .22 for someone that hasn't shot in a while. But, if a .22 tunrs you off, I would go with the 24/7 in 9mm. Ammo is cheap in 9mm, it's a good defence round, and the 24/7 is a good format for the 9mm.

If you have any specific questions about a particular gun, let us know. BTW, I'm surprised there isn't a range around for you to try some guns out. What part of the country do you live in?

Todd

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you have the money to do it, go for a .22lr pistol for starters. I have Ruger MarkIII 22/45. It's very accurate, reliable and well made. Become familiar with it. Get comfortable and then move up to a larger caliber. Another .22lr I've shot quite a bit is my friend's Walther P22.

If you're dead set on getting a larger caliber pistol now then the 24/7 9mm would my recommendation. I have a 24/7 Pro .45acp. It's a very good weapon but might be a bit much for someone unfamiliar to shooting. As far as recoil goes I love it. It's more of a big thump rather than a sharp jolt. It's loud as hell too.

You may also want to take a handgun safety course too. Many ranges and gun clubs offer them.

I am a little surprised that a gun shop with a range won't let you test fire a gun. Well strike that... IF they have one that is used, then I'd think they would probably let you test fire it. They won't let you fire a brand new one though. Coz then it won't be brand new and then some warranties will begin.

I was just window shopping down at the local shop and they had a used 24/7 .45 for $300. I inquired about it. The guy handed me 20 rounds and walked me to the range. I was hooked after that. A week later I came back in and bought a new one. I tell ya though... After putting 50 or so rounds through it, you know you've done some shooting. I can't go back to shooting my .22lr Ruger until after my hands stop shaking. :) It works your arm and shoulder for sure. I also get a nice adrenaline rush from shooting it. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Western michigan is my home. Few stores have handguns, but they will all order what you want. However only one has new and used guns and a range. Unfortunatly the range seems to be only for people taking thir ccw classes.
The 2 "true" gun stores within 30 miles of me are in the galleryofguns thing, and cant comprehend helping a future buyer out real well.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Bezoar, You don't tell what this piece is for. What you choose should depend on your life-style.
Each type of caliber, or action type is better for some things, and not so for others. Is it to be a "house" gun, hunter, C.C.W., or just recreation?
I, chose a .357 mag, 2 1/2 in revolver. This, for my purposes seemmed to be the best all around choice. I get a lot of versility in one piece just by changing the load.
So, if I were you, I'd go for the model 66, but in stainless steel, because of easier maintenance.
I then got the PT-92B. Next I need something for C.C.W., and then.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just go a 24/7. dispatched a few hundred rounds so far.
it very comfortable to shoot and the sights are reliable from what i see.

its a nice 1st handgun purchase, glad i got that one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bezoar said:
Here is my dilemma everyone. I hope some of you can give good advice as the gun shops around my area dont really want to help me out. Actually they ones with their own ranges dont even want to allow me to shoot a few rounds on their range to decide what gun is best for me.

Well I have a list of Taurus guns that seem to make me warm and fuzzy for lack of any better adjectives. If you can give me advice as to what is best for someone whos only handgun shooting experience was 10-11 years ago with a CO2 bb pistol, I will be grateful
Sounds like me, at about this time last year. I ended up with a S&W .357 magnum. LIke a few others have said, you can practice with the 38 and keep the 357 for more interesting duty.
Right after that, buy the same revolver in .22 so that you can practice even more.

familywgn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts