Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PT99 Complete slide dissasembly

OK, so I decided to polish my slide, and when I started looking around all I could seem to find were questions regarding how to do it. Well, I figured it out, so I figured I'd post it up, in case someone else needs the information.

NOTE: I am NOT a gunsmith. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING USING THIS. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THIS IS WHAT I DID, AND IT WORKED FOR ME.

PT99 Complete slide dissasembly

Tools needed:

1/16" pin punch
Small hammer
flathead screwdriver

First, clear the weapon and then field strip it.

Remove the guide rod, recoil spring, and barrel assembly from the slide assembly, and place asside.

Next, insert the end of the pin punch into the small hole on the top left side of the slide, towards the front of the rear sight. Gently tap on the rear of the pin punch with your hammer, until you have most of the pin protruding from the right side of the slide. At this point, pull the pin the rest of the way out and set aside.

Now, use the flathead screwdriver to slowly turn your elevation screw counter clockwise until it is no longer screwed into the slide. Carefully remove the sight assembly and set aside. Note that there will be a small spring resting underneath the sight. Make sure to remove it and place it with the sight so that you do not lose it.

Next, remove the small nub and spring from the top of the firing pin safety, and set aside.

Insert the end of the end of the pin punch in the small hole on the underside of the slide. It is located forward of the bottom of the firing pin safety, in the same groove. Using your hammer, carefully drive out the pin. Cover the rear of the firing pin with a finger, and keep tension on the extractor. Now, remove the punch. Carefully pull out the extractor and the extractor spring, then push out the rest of the firing pin safety from the bottom of the slide. I suggest reasembling it and setting it aside so that you lose no small parts. Now the firing pin and firing pin spring should come out. Take note of the relief in the front of the firing pin- it is a cutout for the extractor, and must be oriented correctly during reassembly.

VOILA! The slide is completely broken down. Reassembly is done by reversing the steps.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Cool, and thanks. Now when I break my 99, I'll know where to look to fix it!

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
Great information, if you do it again, take some pic's of each step and add them to the post. One day I am going to take mine apart and refinish it. (Been saying that for years) It may be a little rough, but I think it ads character to it. So maybe I won't refinish it! :D Thanks for the great info. :thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the likes and comments, guys. I actually have the pictures and an updated guide for the entire pistol on my desktop, I need to burn them to a CD so I can post them up (that POS won't connect to the internet) I did a complete depot-level overhaul on the gun and wound up powdercoating the barrel and frame gloss black.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts