Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys;
Bought a box of Grizzly Cartridge Co.'s 300 gr. WFNGC 44 Mag to test in a soon-to-arrive Taurus Tracker intended to be carried in the backwoods of Alaska. Hope they (and Remington's Core Cast Vital Shock rounds) even fit. Grizzly's site doesn't say but I know these are hard cast lead Flat Nose Gas Checked bullets. I am also interested in their 275 gr. BCFP which apparently stands for Bonded Core Flat Point -- these are a little lighter and a simple solid hard cast bullet can litrally go right thru a Grizzly Bear. Any knowledge, experience, or thoughts on these rounds for thei intended purpose? The manufacturers are on vacation!
Alden
:guns:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've only held the .44 tracker in the store.. don't know much about it.. but it seems sort of light to handle a load like that.. but I'm sure much more experienced people here can help with that

p.s. different round, but I know the Garrett Hammerhead 310gr loads are NOT recommended for the Tracker.. not sure if that is due to length, or pressure.. probably both

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have owned Ruger and S&W .44's and I have shot 300 & 310 grain loads out of the Ruger-I would not shoot them in the S&W. The S&W and that Tracker IMO are really not meant to be fed a steady diet of those heavier loads. A Ruger or Taurus Raging Bull though would have no problem. I also saw on the Taurus website that a Tracker 4" is 34 oz compared to a 5" Raging Bull's 51 oz--in otherwords those 300 grain plus loads are going to have a definate increase in recoil. Buffalo Bore offers a low recoil .44 load that will still penetrate a bears skull without beating up your gun(it was developed for the scandium big bore guns.) It's a 255 grain Keith style(semi-wadcutter) with a gas check so it won't lead up your barrel. It goes out at 1350fps and has 1032 ft lbs of energy while the lower recoil lets you get back on target faster-it is item # 4E

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hornady;
Wish u had gotten to me BEFORE I went to Alaska. I checked out that Buffalo Bore u recommended on their site and it is EXACTLY what I envisioned a load, including bullet type, could, should be for a little Taurus Tracker and still be effective. I have gone and ordered 5 boxes. I expect to shoot a couple and save/sell the rest w/it.

I have a case of Winchester (now discontinued apparently) medium-velocity 240 gr. semi-wadcutters that should be good for it. But I tried the fast, hard, heavy 300 gr. Federal Premium Castcore which I carried into the backwoods but it was painful to shoot even two-handed half-way thru a box of 20 and the accuracy fell off so I'll try a few of these Buffalos and see what happens!

Thanks again and wish me luck...

Alden

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hornady;
If u r still out there...

The postman dropped off my Buffalo Bore ammo just now and they fit w/a couple-of-hair's extra room in the front of the cylindr as though they were made for this Tracker (lol - they say they were for the S&W Titaniums, but...). I was a little concerned as the the Keith wadcutter design (always an ideal bullet to me because of its balance of flat, hard hitting and cutting, face and shoulders in an elongated ogival bullet that offer good penetration and downrange performance too) are a bit longer than usual.

I still intend on a box of the Grizzly 250's when I can easily get my hands on one to try...

Wish me luck

Alden

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Not sure about those 300 grainers, but the 275 should work - I just wouldn't go with a steady diet of it. I can't see how it would be pleasant to shoot, but if you had to use it for critter, I doubt you'll even notice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol I didn't need the gun. In fact, I never took it out. My girlfriend was not well (blood-clot in her arm it turns out which explains the severe pain and cold, white, dead right arm) so we didn't get far away from roads. Still, we were approached by a Ranger after we got to a road from hiking in a valley because someone called them to say they saw us being followed (read: stalked) by a grizzly...
Alden
PS: I had a can of Bear Spray on a hip holster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts