Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy friends, and Happy New Year to you all!
Well my new Model 940B ought to be arriving in about a week. That has nothing to do with the post, I am just happy about it coming.
Now to get to the post. I will be able to go Elk hunting in Wyoming this year. I do not want to come off as a law breaker, but I will be carrying a Raging Bull .44 MAG as a back up/secondary gun in case of a bear attack. I did a search in this forum for info but did not find exactly what I was looking for. I am wanting to know what you would carry ammo wise in that pistol. Chances are I won't need it. But I would rather be prepared. When I was young and dumb (as I am know older and dumb ;D) I lived in Alaska, outside of Fairbanks, and trusted my ought six and my Super Blackhawk (never did like that pistol) when I was out tromping about. I know a larger caliber pistol would be better but the .44 mag is what I will have and about all I can shoot. And since I do not handload yet I am going to need factory ammo.
Thanks a bunch.

· Registered
7,078 Posts
I'd suggest getting some big and unpleasant from either Corbon or Buffalo Bore.
http://www.dakotaammo.net/
http://www.buffalobore.com/

Sorry but I don't have any specific loads to recommend as I've never kept a 44 mag long enough to finalize one. But I'd have no problems trusting either company's ammo to do the job if I do mine. Now, keep in mind that none of the ammo at this power level will be cheap....

Steelheart

· Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
Good hot 300/310 grain hard cast TC or SWC load, and hope you don't have to use it.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you folks for your replies.
Yep I'm hoping I never need to put this info to the test. But I will do what I can to prevent myself from being bear poop.
Funny thing is that when I was in Alaska I never had bear trouble, but those moose during mating/rut season now things got tricky a time or two :eek:

· Registered
7,078 Posts
Buffalo Bore list the Raging Bull under their 44 Magnum +P+ category along with stuff like a Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Super Blackhawk etc. Now if he'd said he had a M44 or a 44 Tracker that would be a different story.

Steelheart

· Registered
2,536 Posts
I fully believe a .44 mag has enough ooomph to trounce any grizzly you'll come across in Wyoming. Unless your near the park they won't be big enough to be a bother. They don't grow them like they do up in Alaska. Just do a 300 gr in a hard cast and aim center of mass or if he is close enough the head. He'll do one of three things after you shoot: Run away, drop like a rock, or charge. Hope he drops like a rock. Unless you have a rocket launcher there is no wonder caliber for a Grizzly, shot placement is vital.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.