Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy friends, and Happy New Year to you all!
Well my new Model 940B ought to be arriving in about a week. That has nothing to do with the post, I am just happy about it coming.
Now to get to the post. I will be able to go Elk hunting in Wyoming this year. I do not want to come off as a law breaker, but I will be carrying a Raging Bull .44 MAG as a back up/secondary gun in case of a bear attack. I did a search in this forum for info but did not find exactly what I was looking for. I am wanting to know what you would carry ammo wise in that pistol. Chances are I won't need it. But I would rather be prepared. When I was young and dumb (as I am know older and dumb ;D) I lived in Alaska, outside of Fairbanks, and trusted my ought six and my Super Blackhawk (never did like that pistol) when I was out tromping about. I know a larger caliber pistol would be better but the .44 mag is what I will have and about all I can shoot. And since I do not handload yet I am going to need factory ammo.
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd suggest getting some big and unpleasant from either Corbon or Buffalo Bore.
http://www.dakotaammo.net/
http://www.buffalobore.com/

Sorry but I don't have any specific loads to recommend as I've never kept a 44 mag long enough to finalize one. But I'd have no problems trusting either company's ammo to do the job if I do mine. Now, keep in mind that none of the ammo at this power level will be cheap....

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
Good hot 300/310 grain hard cast TC or SWC load, and hope you don't have to use it.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Ditto what Steelheart & NativeTexan said. 300+ gr. hard cast slugs will fit the bill.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Don't exceed the Taurus loads listed in the manual. It may do damage to the gun and to you. Some loads are only approved for T.C. or Ruger guns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you folks for your replies.
Yep I'm hoping I never need to put this info to the test. But I will do what I can to prevent myself from being bear poop.
Funny thing is that when I was in Alaska I never had bear trouble, but those moose during mating/rut season now things got tricky a time or two :eek:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Buffalo Bore list the Raging Bull under their 44 Magnum +P+ category along with stuff like a Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Super Blackhawk etc. Now if he'd said he had a M44 or a 44 Tracker that would be a different story.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I fully believe a .44 mag has enough ooomph to trounce any grizzly you'll come across in Wyoming. Unless your near the park they won't be big enough to be a bother. They don't grow them like they do up in Alaska. Just do a 300 gr in a hard cast and aim center of mass or if he is close enough the head. He'll do one of three things after you shoot: Run away, drop like a rock, or charge. Hope he drops like a rock. Unless you have a rocket launcher there is no wonder caliber for a Grizzly, shot placement is vital.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts