Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I like the feel of my PT-145, the grips do bite into my hand. I was looking to get a slip on grip when I remembered hearing about people using co-adhesive tape, the kind that they use to attach the bandage when you give blood so that it won't stick to your skin or hair. It only adheres to itself. I always thought it looked cheesy so I never tried it. I fond some that we had from the vet when our lab was bandaged up and decided to give it a try. I have to say that it worked great. It's cushions and provides for a positive grip, and doesn't slip. The stuff I have is purple so I've ordered some black and tan. It will eventually wear, but for $2 for 5 yards, you can't beat it. It feels so good, that the pistol seems lighter or better balanced. Probably because there is no more biting. I plan use it on my P3AT also.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Bicycle tubes are also a good alternative :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used a pair of batting gloves today when I went to the range. It was much more comfortable

·
Registered
878 Posts
+1 to the Handall Jr. It makes a huge difference. Makes you use your middle finger more and your pinky less. Stops the nose diving.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The title grip tape made me think of that movie Home Alone 2 in New York where the dumb bad guy had double sided tape on his glove and used it to steal change from the Salvation Army kettle.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Jkwas said:
+1 to the Handall Jr. It makes a huge difference. Makes you use your middle finger more and your pinky less. Stops the nose diving.
That is my prayer!! I think I got the left hook corrected, now I am working on the below the bullseye!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Handall JR? Time to google.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The non stick self adhesive tape on the weapons is called coban in the medical world. Ask any nurse and they can get you as much as you want for free.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Heck that is the same tape we use to wrap our horses leg, when they get an injury. Hair screws up all the other stuff. So now I got a use for the couple old rolls in the tack room. HMMMM!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I -really- like the handall jr, for $8 at your local shop you just cant beat it. Cool idea with the grip tape though! I wouldn't have though of that

·
Registered
388 Posts
I tried JKWAS suggestion about trying a bike tube. So I went out and for $3.05 bought a 24"
tube, cut it and slipped it on my pt-145. Not bad. Thanks JKWAS.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
As stated earlier, I liked DevilDog's idea and stole it for my kydex IWB holster. I found a black 3" self grip athletic bandage at Rite-Aid for $4.99 for a 66" roll. Brought it home and made about a half dozen wraps around the holster and ta-da!

Click each image for larger pictures.

It seems to grip pretty good and holds still. I'll know more after wearing it for a few days. I'll post any problems that I run into if anyone is interested. One added benefit is that the gun is more secure in the holster. It made it fit tighter, which makes draw and reholstering take a little more effort. This could be corrected by rewrapping and not making it as tight of a wrap as I did.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Your welcome. I found the bike tube idea over at the KTOG forum. Even though I use a handall jr on my pt111, I use the tube on my Keltec. In fact I doubled it up to thicken the grip. Also works good at shock absorption. You can get a lot of grips out of 1 24" tube, that's for sure!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Best laid plans of mice and men.

Turns out that when the tape gets dirty, it looses its co-adhesiveness. At least the black tape I was using did. I first noticed it on my P3AT which picked up a lot of lint from my pocket, but also affected my PT145. I tried some flesh colored tape that was for medical use, where the black was actually grip tape. It did not seem to be as affected by the dirt and lint, in fact I had to cut it off when taking it off, but it looked as bad as the purple. I broke down and bought a set of OD green Hogue grips. I didn't want to use them from the beginning as they do slip, but had an idea to use the grip tape under it to keep it in place. I put one layer of the flesh tape on the grip and then slipped on the grip after soaking it in hot water. I was worried it would roll the tape, but did not. After marking to trim, I tried to take of the Hogue grip off. :eek: The thing would not budge, but I finally got it off. I put the grip back on a few times with out the tape to keep trimming and measuring. With out the tape, it slipped off easily. I found that the tape solves the problem with Hogue grips slipping so it was still a successful experiment.

By the way, the Hogue OD green Handall matches very well with the green/tan frames.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts