Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the only mod I'm interested in doing to my PT1911 right now is to replace the grips with some nice wood pieces, cocobolo, rosewood, walnut, etc. I'd prefer to get some that will be simple removal and replacement pieces without having to do any carving. Please post links for sources for grips if you've had good luck. I'd also like to keep the price below $40. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
gungripguys. VZ grips and for high end absolutly great looking grips Ezmeralda she runs about 75 or more but I'm not sure there is any better she hand finishes all the grips herself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas. I've looked at the Ezmeralda site but would prefer not to spend that much. I checked the GunGripGuys site and that one looks very promising. After looking over my stock grips again, I think I should be able to make whatever modifications for the ambi safety myself since I do a fair amount of woodworking here. FYI for anyone thinking of buying this gun, Cabelas has a sale going on the PT1911 which includes a separate set of wood grips. I bought my pistol about two weeks before that sale.

frostyeyes said:
gungripguys. VZ grips and for high end absolutly great looking grips Ezmeralda she runs about 75 or more but I'm not sure there is any better she hand finishes all the grips herself.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I caught a set of beautifully swirlled coco bolo grips from GunGripGuys on Ebay... I presume they may continue them since they are "fire control" parts... meaning just about anything they have decided including sights, etc. Just checked... they are still offering grips... worth looking at.

I got mine for a steal at less than $15 plus change including shipping. They are always very good grips... have had a set on my Star BM in the coco bolo for a couple of years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cimarron -- Any recollection of the seller screen named used by Gun Grip Guys on eBay? Was this an auction or an eBay store? The price you got is right where I'd like to be in this kind of purchase. I have looked at their web site and they appear to be what I'm looking for but an eBay deal seems to offer a better price. Thanks in advance.

Cimarron said:
I caught a set of beautifully swirlled coco bolo grips from GunGripGuys on Ebay... I presume they may continue them since they are "fire control" parts... meaning just about anything they have decided including sights, etc. Just checked... they are still offering grips... worth looking at.

I got mine for a steal at less than $15 plus change including shipping. They are always very good grips... have had a set on my Star BM in the coco bolo for a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
edwardyoung said:
Thanks for the link. I still haven't bought any replacement grips. I keep watching the Gun Grips Guys' offerings on eBay but find that some of the nicer ones are going for nearly what they'd cost from the web site. I'm also looking closely at the checkered rosewood grips from the Chip McCormick site. They cost more but I sure like their looks. After owning my PT1911 for two and a half months, I finally got some range time with it last Monday. No problems with 100 rounds of WWB. Fun to shoot, better than I am.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got mine from Gun grip guys in zebra wood I did have to cut for ambi safety it wasn't hard

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
I realize you want grips that you don't have to modify. However, for what it's worth, I found a set of cocobolo grips at Cheaper than Dirt for $20.00. It took me about 15 minutes with the Dremel and an X-acto knife to alter the right hand side to fit than ambi-safety. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Cimmaron are those grips that you have on your pt1911 thin like the originals or are they thicker? I am looking for a couple of sets of thin wooden grips like yours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts