Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes a grip for this revolver? I'm looking for something a little softer than the Taurus grip to absorb some recoil.

Brett

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have the 444MULTI and NO grip is going to absorb the recoil on this gun better than the Raging Bull grips that come with it. Besides that, you're not going to a find a softer grip for that gun...anywhere. If you want perceived recoil reduction follow my lead and send your gun to Mag-Na-Port and have it ported. That's the only thing that is going to help tame those Magnum loads in the UltraLite.

http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
I agree - the Taurus grips are way good. Problem with magnaporting is that it reduces velocity and foot pounds, which is generally why you buy a 44 mag in the first place. I say just nut up and deal with the recoil - if you have to use it on a charging boar or a pissed off black bear, you'll never even notice the recoil, believe me. :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
I agree - the Taurus grips are way good. Problem with magnaporting is that it reduces velocity and foot pounds, which is generally why you buy a 44 mag in the first place. I say just nut up and deal with the recoil - if you have to use it on a charging boar or a pissed off black bear, you'll never even notice the recoil, believe me. :D
You only lose 3-5% of energy transferred with porting.
So if before you made 500 ft lbs, after porting it would be 475 to 485 ft lbs. That is not enough to make a difference. The gun is much more contollable for follow up shots in the wild if need be.
(Assuming your using the gun as a trail piece as I do)
Believe me when I tell ya, big difference with this particular gun ported...BIG difference---and I'm no pansy when it comes to felt recoil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the problem with porting I had on my Glock 21C was the blinding flames blowing out of the portholes, that was not a problem at noon at the shooting range but might have been a problem at 11pm at the local backstreet.Another problem is that the BG can see you from the miles away, those flames that come out of the porting holes can be a real bullet magnets.

Db

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
44M said:
the problem with porting I had on my Glock 21C was the blinding flames blowing out of the portholes, that was not a problem at noon at the shooting range but might have been a problem at 11pm at the local backstreet.Another problem is that the BG can see you from the miles away, those flames that come out of the porting holes can be a real bullet magnets.

Db
Obviously, I would never port a firearm that I would carry for duty or self defense. On this PARTICULAR gun it is an excellent option with very little drawback. Who cares if that mountain lion can see flames shooting out your muzzle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. Can 44 specials be shot from this gun for plinking?

It seems to me that if flames come from ports on a ported gun, they're also going to come out of the barrel on an unported gun. True?

Brett

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Brettmc said:
I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. Can 44 specials be shot from this gun for plinking?

It seems to me that if flames come from ports on a ported gun, they're also going to come out of the barrel on an unported gun. True?

Brett
44 Specials are perfectly acceptable for plinking in the 444. It's like shooting 38's out of a .357 mag.

Flames don't actually shoot out the ports...it's what is simply called muzzle flash which can be temporarily blinding in low light but the duration of the flash is about half a second. So, no, you don't have a flamethrower.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still, flash from the ports or from the muzzle, what's the difference?

Think I'll plink with the specials with a few rounds of magnum thrown in. Thanks for the info.

Brett

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I was looking for aftermarket grips for my Raging Bull (same grip) and couldn't find any (factory grip was a bit large for me). So what I did is I filed down the red backstrap so it doesn't stick out as much. :) I did a thread about it a while ago, you can search for it if you want...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Obviously, I would never port a firearm that I would carry for duty or self defense.
yeah, well, that G 21C was my first Glock and I didn`t know any better.I realized my mistake in my CCW class when instructor (ex cop) explained it to us why porting is not good for CCW. And I can tell you,from my own experience, that I didn`t noticed much difference between shooting ported or non-ported Glocks.

Db

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.