Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea exactly what size the hex head grip screws are in the PT1911. I have a decent selection of metric and SAE hex wrenches and ball end and nothing I have seems to fit quite right. I was able to get the job done but it wasn't a comfortable process.

My question is are the grip screws in the PT1911 the same as other 1911 grip screws? I would like to change them out for a flat head screw or something. It seems to me I remember reading on here there is something different, maybe it's the Taurus bushings that are a little different than normal.

TIA

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
The originals should be 2.5mm. The Taurus grip screws have a head that is bit larger in diameter than standard screws. I could be
wrong, but I also think the screw head isn't as deep as the standard screws. I haven't tried it, other than messing around while
swapping grips before, but I think the standard screws will work, they will just be raised a bit above the grip and there will be a gap
around the screw head.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The originals should be 2.5mm. The Taurus grip screws have a head that is bit larger in diameter than standard screws. I could be
wrong, but I also think the screw head isn't as deep as the standard screws. I haven't tried it, other than messing around while
swapping grips before, but I think the standard screws will work, they will just be raised a bit above the grip and there will be a gap
around the screw head.
Thanks RichO. I thought I remembered reading that there was something different about the screws/bushings on the Taurus grips.
But then again I don't put much trust in my memory these days!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I have no idea exactly what size the hex head grip screws are in the PT1911. I have a decent selection of metric and SAE hex wrenches and ball end and nothing I have seems to fit quite right. I was able to get the job done but it wasn't a comfortable process.

My question is are the grip screws in the PT1911 the same as other 1911 grip screws? I would like to change them out for a flat head screw or something. It seems to me I remember reading on here there is something different, maybe it's the Taurus bushings that are a little different than normal.

TIA
search olfarhors post he dealt with this when changed his grips

jhp

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
24,937 Posts
Standard 1911 grips screws will work. Done it 4 times on mine.

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
Standard 1911 grips screws will work. Done it 4 times on mine.
I am pretty darned sure its a 3/32, If I remember correctly I use the same bit on all my 1911 grips that have hex screws.
Now for the other question as already mentioned only the diameter of the head is different as to the thread/size. bushing size.
regular old 1911 colt (clone) grip screws will fit the gun fine, now the standard grips screws will sit deeper in the taurus grips due to being smaller diameter.
I when using Colt (clone) grip panels on a PT1911 I just order Colt screws(clones) and don't even try to mess with adapting the taurus screws or the grips.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I surrender! The left side grip screw and bushing are permanently attached! There isn't much room to work with so I tried a couple of different methods to heat the screw/bushing combo in the hopes it would loosen up and I could separate them. Well the last attempt I used a soldering iron to try generating enough heat without melting the grip. No joy! The screw/bushing is simply not coming apart. Tomorrow I will call Taurus and see if I can send it to them and they can fix or replace the grip/screw/bushing. Just for the record I got the other side unscrewed.

Olfarhors, I did pick up a 2.5mm hex key at ACE and it does fit, better than what I already had, whatever size that was! In time I will most likely buy some after market grips and screws too.

Thanks again everyone for all the help on the subject.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My "key" that came with my PT1911 works great for taking the grips screws out...

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My "key" that came with my PT1911 works great for taking the grips screws out...
That means I'd have first dig and second find the plastic box! :) It was easier to pick up a hex key while I was at ACE. I will remember the tip if I ever see the gun box again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have changed the grips on all 4 of my 1911s. Each time I replaced the crappy stock bushings with the Stainless VZ bushings.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I FUBAR'ed a few bushings in my day. I haven't had any more issues since using #60 O-rings under the grip screws and a drop of oil on the screw threads.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I FUBAR'ed a few bushings in my day. I haven't had any more issues since using #60 O-rings under the grip screws and a drop of oil on the screw threads.
Yea I get the FUBAR thing! Where do you buy the O-rings, hardware store?

The thing that has annoyed me is I didn't mess up anything, this time :). Simply the one screw is, as far as I'm concerned, permanently stuck in the bushing. The bushing unscrewed from the frame when I tried to take the grip screw out. Even though the screw and bushing are still in the grip I was able to get the screw way hotter than I wanted to touch but I still could not get the screw to come out. I figured there was some red Loctite that got in there during mfg. but at this point I have no idea what is going on.

Anyway, it will still work on the gun just fine. Eventually I will buy grips, screws, and bushings to replace the factory stuff.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Another option might be to stop at a local gunsmith or LGS and see if they have any grip bushings for sale. Most smiths usually
have extra's lying around, so you wouldn't need to buy a whole set. If you can come up with a spare bushing, you might be
able to lock vice grips on the old one and be able to use a bit of extra ....ooompf on it.

Reactions: olfarhors and darbo

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
Thats exactly what i would do.
The thing would drive me crazy just knowing it was like this.
I would take that grip panel off after getting a new bushing ( a entire set of 4 isn't that expensive and one of those parts that might be handy to have on hand for the next time) and i would take agood set of Vise grips and lock the bushing in from the back side and then a good hex wrench of the correct size and try to remove it.
then install the new bushing.
personally i don't want to remove bushings from a frame anymore than i have to, you strip out the bushing hole in the frame then you do have a mess on your hands.
and on this a note to those thta have AL/ALR is to double check and make sure that the steel bushings are tight in the aluminum frmae , if not they will wobble out the holes, just don't overtighten them.

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
#60 O-rings can be found at any hardware store. It's common use is for faucet valves.
MY Colt Government Combat Elite came stock with rubber washers (o Rings)on the screws and a plastic liner between the grips and frame.
I would imagine to keep oil from soaking into those like 70 dollar Rosewood Colt Signature grips.
the only 1911 that i have that was so equipted though.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats exactly what i would do.
The thing would drive me crazy just knowing it was like this.
I would take that grip panel off after getting a new bushing ( a entire set of 4 isn't that expensive and one of those parts that might be handy to have on hand for the next time) and i would take agood set of Vise grips and lock the bushing in from the back side and then a good hex wrench of the correct size and try to remove it.
then install the new bushing.
personally i don't want to remove bushings from a frame anymore than i have to, you strip out the bushing hole in the frame then you do have a mess on your hands.
and on this a note to those thta have AL/ALR is to double check and make sure that the steel bushings are tight in the aluminum frmae , if not they will wobble out the holes, just don't overtighten them.
Thank you for that understanding!

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
Thank you for that understanding!
We with CDO must support each other!
OH- CDO is OCD but for some reason i just need to keep putting the letters in the correct order.--over--over-over and over again.

Reactions: RichO and darbo
1 - 18 of 18 Posts