Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am considering a revolver purchase (either 44 Mag or 357 Mag) and want to include the Taurus line in my consideration.

However, I haven't found any at the local stores. I have small hands, and am curious as to the grip size, and trigger reach of the above models.

If anyone has one of these, and a tape measure handy, could you post the grip circumference and trigger reach from the back of the backstrap/grip?

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
Whatever you get, a Hogue grip will minimize your reach to the trigger. I don't find my 66s any different than my Security Six was or my K frame Smith and Wesson is. Also, the small frame Taurus models compare well with J frame Smiths. You'll find the N frame stuff a little longer reach.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You are smart doing your research- I have small hands as well.

EX: Purchased a 617 and its too big for me for a CCW. It's ok at the range because I can adjust my grip, but I won't carry it.

With that in mind, instead of purchasing the M82 as I was planning, I went with a small frame 4" M85

Like Native Texan mentioned small frame models like the 85 compare well the S&W J-frame.

Hopefully someone will chime in with the facts/figures

Reactions: Nerostarr

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The 65 and 66 will be the same. The 627 and Tracker 44 will be the same. If memory serves the 444 is built on the Raging Bull frame and is probably the largest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK, well if we take the model 85 as an example. Which other Taurus 357 model has the same grip and frame size with a longer barrel? 65 and 66?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Grip circumference is (on my 608 with custom grips) right at 5.25".

Distance from the backstrap to the trigger (measured at the angle where your finger would actually be reaching) is 2.78".

Here's the 608 next to the 605:

IMG_0403.JPG

Reactions: ColoradoJim

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Model 65 w/ 4" barrel. Even though I have larger than average hands, I replaced the stock hard plastic Hogue style grips with the original wood grips. These grips measured about the same paulky_2000. The reason I switched to smaller grips is the configuration, at least with me, transfers recoil better than the larger full grip style. The wood grip allows the gun to rock back in my hand a small amount, while the larger grips cause my hand/arm to take the full brunt of the recoil. I found, while it is a rarity for me, I can shoot max power 357mag reloaded ammo with little fatigue or pain using the stock wood grips. My Model 65 has been nothing but reliable and accurate with a surprising smooth DA trigger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts