Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all from Western Washington, (Seattle area) - Was turned on to Taurus about 2 months ago from a good friend of mine when he took me to shoot his 1911 and 1st gen PT140...I was immediately hooked, (even with the 1st gen 140). Recently purchased a 3rd gen Mill Pro PT140. I read a lot of great information here before I brought her home, and to the range. I really appreciate it.

Range Report - after bringing her home, and cleaning (as recomended here, thank you very much!) finally had a chance to bring her to the range with some MagTech .40 S&W. 1 word...HOLYSHOOT! that was a lot of fun. Initially I had an issue with chambering the first round but I learned real quick like that I shouldn't be bringing the slide home, as I was doing...after I figure that out I realized I was low and to the right. I figure that is simply a matter of learning the gun, learning the sights, and having someone watch me shoot, (which I plan on doing in the near future). In the 50 I put through, not 1 single issue, (except for my bad), nor did I expect one.

So, FWIW, my range experience is probably not one to take to the bank, mostly because I haven't had a lot of range time with it, (so far only 50 rounds), but overall and based on previous experiences with a PT140, this is a gun I would have NO problems recommending. I am nervous my wife might think I'm having an affair becuase I love my mill pro pt 140 so much...(SHHHHH!).

A guy next to me at the range recognized it from about 5 feet away and said, "wow! thats a mill pro aint it?"...."Yup...sure is."

Anyway - Glad to have found such an excellent site! and I look forward to becoming a knowledgeable member here shortly.

(short plug for another forum I am an active member of...www.z71tahoe-suburban.com if you have any GM SUV, Pick, or just love bowties, you're more than welcome. It is run just like this one...top notch!).

Thanks all!
Rounder -

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. :)

·
Administrator
40,264 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave: :angel:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All! I've read through a lot of the sticky notes, and will continue to read them. read lots of them before I even said hello. a TON of good stuff.

the only outstanding question I've really got, is why is it not so many 140's? I see a lot of posts regarding the 145, and others but not so many of the pt 140's/40 cal. Is a 40 cal not a big enough boomer? :???:

·
Registered
325 Posts
hey rounder, welcome to the forum from georgia. i drive a z71 pickup. looks like we gotta a couple things in common. feel free to look around and have fun. beware....time flys when your logged on to this site. atleast thats what my wife says.

·
Registered
212 Posts
rounderk5 said:
...the only outstanding question I've really got, is why is it not so many 140's? I see a lot of posts regarding the 145, and others but not so many of the pt 140's/40 cal. Is a 40 cal not a big enough boomer? :???:
Greetings from Bellevue!

It all comes down to personal shooting style and your particular defense requirements. Though I have a Mill Pro PT140, I also considered a PT145 and PT111 for different reasons (as in, the PT111 gives you 12+1 and 9mm is cheap). I was recently in a handgun defense class and in a class of 18-20 there were two 9mms, two .40s, and the rest were 1911 style .45s. I mean I like 1911s, but geez! Didn't realize they were so astoundingly popular. I think it's just an American thing, remember it's not the length of the barrel, it's the size of the load.

The .40 and .45 have comparable effectiveness. You can't go wrong with a .45 ACP, it's massive. The reasons I went with .40 personally were probably not typical--at first I wanted a pistol to dispatch animals at close range (deer and such that were hit by cars). A .40 cal 180gr bullet seemed to fit that bill with a good combination of velocity and bullet mass. I use Winchester Ranger 155gr HP for my defensive carry load.

Later on I decided to start carrying, got a CPL and some training. By that time I just found I liked shooting .40 and was pretty accurate with it. Regarding recoil, I've heard that the .45 gives more of a push while the .40 gives more of a flip. (I'm still working at shooting straight with a .357 snubnose, I love a challenge.)

Did you go to Wade's indoor range? I like it, it's a good store, their prices are competitive, and they give sound advice. They have always been great about returns too.

My other car is an XTerra. It's like a Mini Cooper compared to a Suburban.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indrid Cold - I've not gone to Wade's as of yet...I decided to go to Sam's up on Airport Way in Everet today becuase of the time I went there. left home at 2:30...I'd rather come south on 405 at 4 than north on 405 at 4 any day of the week....but, I do plan on going to Wade's in the next couple of weeks. I also understand that DGS (discount gun sales) is opening a 15 lane full service range/shop up on 180th and Bothell Ever highway sometime in mid may...I'm about 7 minutes from that 5 days a week....

I really appreciate all the advice! and info I've received so far.

as previously mentioned, I sincerely look forward to learning tons, and sometime in the future providing as much as I've recieved.

To the rest...thanks for the kinds welcome's!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Welcome From Arizona.....Rounder :wave: Glad that you are here..look around and have fun. Great guys and gals on here :) :) :)

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Hey, welcome from Tulsa Oklahoma! Nice to have you! ;)

·
32,706 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are all kinds of PT 140 and .40S&W ammo threads at the boards and in the archives.

For example and this is only a small fraction of PT140 and related threads.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5865.0

Go to page two of the thread and look for the 'homework" links I posted. Ought to keep anybody in clover for a while.

·
Registered
212 Posts
rounderk5 said:
Indrid Cold - I've not gone to Wade's as of yet...I decided to go to Sam's up on Airport Way in Everet today becuase of the time I went there. left home at 2:30...I'd rather come south on 405 at 4 than north on 405 at 4 any day of the week....but, I do plan on going to Wade's in the next couple of weeks. I also understand that DGS (discount gun sales) is opening a 15 lane full service range/shop up on 180th and Bothell Ever highway sometime in mid may...I'm about 7 minutes from that 5 days a week....
Rounder, thanks for the tip on Sam's and DGS, I'm always keen to visit different stores just to see what's there. I'm sometimes up in the Edmonds area and will check out Sam's when I have a chance. I hear ya on the traffic, my life revolves around the traffic reports and 405 is a bear most of the time.

A neighbor of mine does trap shooting, so I'm looking into trying that if it ever stops raining. I think there are several trap ranges in our area.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
once again...thanks to everyone for their warm welcomes! It is awesome that a "welcome" post gets 2 pages. a true testament to the folks on this site, and to the mods.

Indrid Cold - I wouldn't go out of my way to go to Sam's. It's ok. Parking lot is usually filled with Snoho PD, or other LEO from local places. It appears as though they have a nice indoor place for the local PD to go to. But, if you're in the area, and itchin to pull the trigger, its not a bad place to stop. I think 1 lane and 2 targets cost me $13.07. (not sure if that is a good price or not, but its what I paid).

Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to when DGS opens their doors in May...Heck, I might even camp out the night before to be the first one through the door...LOL!

again...thanks to everyone for the kind welcomes! I can't tell you how many questions have already been answered without me asking them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts