Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased my first PT1911 from Taurus and figured why not go to the spot where all the experts are

Finally got enough mamma-don't-know money and couldn't live without a 1911 in my arsenal. I love my polymer guns, don't get me wrong, but there is just something about a 1911

Just put the first hundred rounds through her on "zombie apocolypse friday the 13th" here at our local indoor range. I work with many other gun enthusiast geeks (computer that is) and we did a 2 hour lunchtime shoot where zombie targets, bleeding targets, and bleeding 3d zombie bodies were provided. The "lights out" zombies coming at you in the dark, dimly lit on the track was especially entertaining. Good times.

Range report: I sort of wished for the Heinie Straight Eights as advertised, but got the 3 dot Novaks instead.  After shooting consistently low and left, I noticed the rear sight not tightened down and all the way to the left of the dovetail. Simple fix, brought the groupings back to somewhat normal. IMHO, compared to the many other weapons I fired that day, including 2 of my own - they do seem to shoot a bit low. As long as you realize that, it can be compensated for.

I shot remington umc 250 pack loads through it (rem factory reloads?) - el cheapo, but decent. No problems, FTF's, FTE's of any sort - somewhat of a relief. $99 for 250rd at GM - not bad for target plinkers.

Trigger is OK, but for a reasonably priced weapon I didn't expect to be amazed either.

Fit and finish were good. Action smooth. Cleaned and lightly lubricated before firing as should be done with all weapons.  Note: It seems like they soak their guns in old deisel oil and let it gum up good before sending them out. Just a heads up. Entire gun was a bit sticky in places and literally dripping with dark oil. I used an entire old t-shirt and plenty of solvent and remoil and it cleaned up fine. I am not kidding here....the ENTIRE tshirt was literally black. Clean them well before de-virginizing them. Just my two cents.

For a plain old blued 1911, I got a lot of compliments and was overall very pleased with the weapon. Looks and feels very nice.

If anyone was interested in trading their rear Heinie for a rear 2 dot Novak, feel free to PM me and we can discuss.

Thanks and good shooting,

dadthefixer

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello and welcome from Southeast Tennessee

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Super Moderator
35,701 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois and another happy PT 1911 owner/operator (with the Heine sights).

There are a few folks here who have the Heine sights and don't like them, you'll probably be able to make a trade.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome from Southern Oregon or....Orygun

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Hello from central North Carolina and welcome to TaurusArmed.net. You will find some friendly
and knowledgeable people here.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Welcome from South Tulsa.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Welcome!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to PT1911 Heaven...er, uh, I mean, uh...TaurusArmed.net!

Lots to learn here, so fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts