Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All processed and sorted for the size to reload and I tossed it back in the tumbler to clean off the lube residue. Just tossed a cap..maybe a cap and a half of Blue Coral car wash...no Dawn or citric acid ( Glisten brand, cheaper than Lemishine)...

Not real happy with just the car wash result. They came out with a definite OD green cast. I thought about just drying them and keeping them for loading, but decided to put them back tumbling with the Blue Coral, Dawn, Glisten and pins. I hope they come out brassy this time.

IMG_20200516_205147388.jpg

Reactions: 777Driver and darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Interesting outcome. Have you used the Glisten brand before?

There's just something purty about shiny brass! :)

·
Super Moderator
35,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting outcome. Have you used the Glisten brand before?

There's just something purty about shiny brass! :)
This is the first bottle I've bought. It's like the one shown here, but I don't think it was that expensive. I tried it because it was cheaper than the LemiShine that was also offered at that store. (maybe Menards? local area home improvement)

https://www.amazon.com/Glisten-Detergent-Booster-Freshener-Oz/dp/B007I88WH0

The greenish brass was a result of the Blue Coral only and was a surprise because I expected that brass which was already pretty clean would come out like new.

I loaded it back into the tumbler with less car wash, a small squirt of Dawn and a dash of the Glisten. I dumped and rinsed it after a long hour before I went to bed lat noght and it looks great now...shiny and golden.

Reactions: darbo

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Not sure about Blue Coral, but many car wash liquids also contain a water soluble wax. Not saying it's what caused the discoloration, but I'm also wondering if loading brass with a slight wax coating might cause other unexpected results? No real reasoning, just thinking out loud, so to speak.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
That happened to a buddy of mine, he use some degreaser to clean the pins, next load came out fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Hmmmmmmm. Ham.

Seriously, as long as there hasn't been a chemically induced change to the brass that will make it split or the heads to separate, the green tint isn't more than a cosmetic irritation.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
All processed and sorted for the size to reload and I tossed it back in the tumbler to clean off the lube residue. Just tossed a cap..maybe a cap and a half of Blue Coral car wash...no Dawn or citric acid ( Glisten brand, cheaper than Lemishine)...

Not real happy with just the car wash result. They came out with a definite OD green cast. I thought about just drying them and keeping them for loading, but decided to put them back tumbling with the Blue Coral, Dawn, Glisten and pins. I hope they come out brassy this time.

]
SOOOOO!
Just what do you have against OD GREEN???

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts