Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how much longer this will last, but Bud's is selling this model almost $100 less than anyone else. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...5/ruger_1702_gp100_gp-141_6rd_357mag38sp_+p_4

This is THE revolver for full-time use of full-power .357 Magnum loads. Extremely strong build with a surprisingly, for Ruger, good trigger. Almost 0 overtravel. I put a Wolffe 10# trigger return spring in my blue model to replace the factory 12#. Had some assorted Wolffe springs to use, but left the 14# factory hammer spring in mine to prevent slowing the lock-time. Luckily, Wolffe also makes a 14# version that I'll be ordering. The action is very smooth as is with the 10# trigger return spring and I also have an 8# that I decided not to use.;)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
That is a good deal ... But any Ruger , give a verygood look over ... Especially with the yoke / frame fit .. also check for a canted barrel ... Ruger , like so many other gunmakers .. QC is low ... I own a well used Ruger Security Six .. that I really like . ... But all mail ordered gun should be checked throughly before accepting.. Im lucky the LGS that does my transfers gives them a good lookover also .. 2 heads are better than one ..

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
A year a go I got a SS GP100 in 3" and a SP101.357 3" .

The GP100 is a large frame good .357 shooter.
But I tell you guys, the SP101 .357 with the 3" barrel is like shooting a .22 , with .38 special
loaded in it
My 70yr old aunt wants to buy it from me. I took her to the range to shoot my .22 and she wanted to try it.
Dam these woman shooters. They only like the ones you don't want to get rid of. What really gets me is she is new to pistol and shoots it as good as I do. She shot clays and a little wing shooting with her dad 50yrs ago.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: "less than 5 remaining at this price." The 6" Blue, the 4 & 6" Stainless have gone back up to their typical prices.

Ickthus, my shooting partner has had 2 or 3 of the 3" SP101's in .357 Mag. All good shooters and I wouldn't personally want anything smaller for shooting factory .357 or my handloads.;)

·
Super Moderator
20,085 Posts
I might have an interest IF I hadn’t scored a used Security Six 4” barrel 357MAG a couple years back. I was actually shopping a GP100 butran across the Sec Six first. Already had/have an SP101 in 357 so no current need for anything else 357 Mag.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might have an interest IF I hadn’t scored a used Security Six 4” barrel 357MAG a couple years back. I was actually shopping a GP100 butran across the Sec Six first. Already had/have an SP101 in 357 so no current need for anything else 357 Mag.
Probably would have done the same. Closest I got was a speed-six, but I learned to love, trying again, the .357 Magnum and controlling its recoil while firing in DA. The 4" GP100 does pretty well with them. My aim is a field revolver, and when I don't load poly-coated 158 gr. SWCs, I'll be working on a 140 gr. JHP load at around 1250 FPS. The XTP is currently leading the pack of potential candidates.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts