Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son isn't much of a shooter :(. So we haven't done much together in that area.

I did leave a .40 cal here a few years ago, when I was coming out twice a year to work on this house before we moved here. Told him to have fun with it. I guess he went out with a friend a fired it a few times.

Told him I was gonna start downsizing the amount of firearms I have here, and he asked if he could buy that gun, said he liked it (S+W Sigma). Absolutely!

So he asked if we could go out to the desert, and put some rounds through it.

We went on Sunday, which I normally would NEVER do. Too many people. But we ended up in a good spot, because he's crazy, and took his truck down through these passages that I wouldn't even think about. Have to admit, I was a little nervous about if we were gonna be able to get outta there.

We had fun with the .40's. Then I took out the AR that has the slide fire stock. Serous fun at that point.

We had a piece of plywood with targets stapled to it, set out against a clump of mesquite trees, that we had been shooting at. Were shooting the hell out of it with the AR, when one of the trees just keeled over. Then a second tree did the same. We laughed a lot.

That was something I would never intentionally do. Shoot deliberately at live trees. I'm sorry now, but at least we had fun. Driving out of there was quite a trip. Lot's of fun.

Became back here, had a few beers, and talked about the whole experience. It was great.

Told him I would leave the gun dirty until he comes over next weekend Then I'll show him how to disassemble and clean it.

He's gonna be moving to CT next year, so he's gonna have to pick up some 10 round mags for that gun. (What a joke). Keeping his house here. Going to rent it out.

Hey, maybe I'll get lucky, ad he'll hate his new job, and decide to come back here.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Awesome story. Glad ya had some good times with your Boy. :) Always nice when you can share some fun and time.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Good for you and him!Does he really know what a cesspool he is moving to?

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Sounds like a memorable weekend! Today, folks need to go where the jobs are, what jobs still exist. Be happy he has a good position!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I enjoyed reading about this special outing with your son. :happy2::happy2:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful day.

Reactions: Rottiejake

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good for you and him!Does he really know what a cesspool he is moving to?
Yeah. We're originally from NY, so he knows.

Actually he's gonna be working in northern Westchester county NY. One of the richest areas in the nation. Going back into home construction and remodeling for the wealthy. Guy he used to work for wants him to come back, and eventually take over the company. Starting pay is $ 125K, plus a truck and fuel, plus bonuses. Kind of hard to pass up. Plus he's gonna be a dad in 6 weeks, and is looking forward to the new job which will basically be 9 to 5.

Can't afford to live anywhere near there (naturally), but Ridgefield CT, right across the line is slightly more affordable to rent a house.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Sounds like a great day. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Enjoyed your post.

Your son should be very careful also about the ammo he takes with him. Remember the guy from Colorado who went to jail in New Jersey because he had hollow points with him during his move. Can't remember his name right now, but his was not a short stay in the lockup.

You might tell him to consider Federal Guard Dog ammo - Expanding Full Metal Jacket

EFMJ ammo 2.jpg

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Great times. My son and grandsons usually get out to shoot together about once a year, which we did at Thanksgiving.

Having spent two years living in Wickenburg, it is pretty easy for me to imagine the drive your son took you on to find a place to shoot.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Enjoyed your post.

Your son should be very careful also about the ammo he takes with him. Remember the guy from Colorado who went to jail in New Jersey because he had hollow points with him during his move. Can't remember his name right now, but his was not a short stay in the lockup.

You might tell him to consider Federal Guard Dog ammo - Expanding Full Metal Jacket

View attachment 104943
I knew those commie states have laws regarding magazine capacity. I wasn't aware of the fact that the type of ammo might be governed also. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll have to look into it.

·
Registered
24,610 Posts
Good to have some father son bonding time.

·
22,304 Posts
Sounds like a GREAT day!

Driving around in the boondocks of the desert can be a blast.

I think NJ is the only state with laws against hollow points. Those Guard Dog rounds look interesting!

You couldn't pay me enough to live in New England. Vermont is okay in some respects, but it's too small. I can't even stay in New Mexico! But out west, the surrounding states are pretty much always gun friendly, unless you stray to Californiastan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts