Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today my Wife and I got a chance to visit the local range and start breaking in our handguns. It was a first for both of us as neither of us have shot our weapons since purchasing them. My Wife has always been against guns in the house, but a few break-ins nearby swayed her opinion. Understandably she was nervous; she'd never been to a gun range before in her life, she'd never handled or fired a gun and there were already a bunch of people at the range shooting casually. Thankfully, she didn't have any second thoughts and once we got our range fee paid we went out to the handgun portion of the range and got setup.

She had her S&W BG380 with some 95gr. JSP rounds, I had my Raging Judge Magnum shooting 225gr .45LC. Surprisingly, she wanted to shoot first with my assistance of course. She didn't shy away at all from the instruction nor did the dozens of other guns, big and small, going off distract her. Like a duck in water she took to the instructions with ease and after a few dry fire tests we loaded up a mag and she got feel the kick (or lack thereof) of her .380. After that first shot she loosened up considerably and kept on shooting. The target was at about 30 feet, but we weren't focusing on much other than fundamentals. Though she only fired 2 magazines worth of ammo, I feel she gained a considerable amount of knowledge and respect for her gun and guns in general. She's looking forward to going back again.

As for me, I finally got to put my RJM to the test. The weight of the gun is something that I felt very at home with (my bow is also considered to be on the heavy side) and the kick from the .45LC wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. The cushioned grip that is typical on all Raging series weapons made the RJM a dream to shoot both SA and DA. My next time out I plan to get some .454 and really see how it does.

All in all a great experience for me and my Wife. I've no doubt that with enough practice she will probably out shoot me. :D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
That is good, just take it easy and be patient with her and she will acquire a hobby that both of you enjoy and that may actually save her life one day (although we all hope not).

Reactions: Shinsou

·
Registered
161 Posts
Its good to hear that she is open minded to instructions and follows them well, safety is always first and when that isnt instilled in someones mind thats when people get hurt. Sounds like a good day at the range!

·
Registered
62 Posts
were you at an outdoor range? i find that for some reason an outdoor range is a bit more settling for my girl. She started out with a 22 then shot her way up. She prefers 9mm for target and carries a .380.

·
Registered
766 Posts
All in all a great experience for me and my Wife. I've no doubt that with enough practice she will probably out shoot me. :D
I hate it when that happens!;)

But it is good to know that she is able, or soon will be able to protect herself when you aren't there....

or back you up when you are.

My ex wife, and my current lady friend both got to be good shots very quickly, and love to shoot, even the big boomers.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Bringing another 2A supporter into the fold. Congrats! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
were you at an outdoor range? i find that for some reason an outdoor range is a bit more settling for my girl. She started out with a 22 then shot her way up. She prefers 9mm for target and carries a .380.
Yes, it was outdoors. The only thing she didn't like about it was that there was a cover over a large portion of the handgun range that we stood next to and the echoes gave her a bit of a headache. She'll be doubling up on the hearing protection for the time being, until she gets used to the noise and concussion.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My ex wife, and my current lady friend both got to be good shots very quickly, and love to shoot, even the big boomers.
Sadly, she has expressed her disinterest in getting or trying larger calibers. But, then again, she said pretty much the same thing about her bows as well. :D

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Reading your post made me think of all the old, nostalgic, Norman Rockwell paintings.

If you're old enough to remember them, you'll know I'm paying you a compliment. :thumb:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sadly, she has expressed her disinterest in getting or trying larger calibers. But, then again, she said pretty much the same thing about her bows as well. :D
Work her up gradually, I guess. My current lady likes my Judge, loves my Beowulf; Has a Kimber Custom .45 and a Mossy 500 12ga of her own.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think like anything else once you get used to one thing you want the next best thing. I think when she gets used to the smaller caliber she will be asking you to try something bigger rather than you having to ask her.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Give her time and encouragement and the next thing you know she will be claiming your Raging Judge!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Mine perfers my old 1911a1 to anything else, she likes the weight and the low recoil with winchester white box 230gr fmj.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sounds like the two of you had a great time, congratulations.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrats my friend on your outing..happy shooting

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Sounds like a good time. Congratulations.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Congrats on the first outing.. My wife has always been around guns but did not really have all that interest. Now with the kids all out sheis really getting into the guns ,,,,,now the"problem" issue takes a bag full of guns andi spend all afternoon cleaning guns.... Lol. She does wipe all the mags down for me!!!! She favors the PT92 but will take a turn with each andeveryweapon in the bag...
Again congrats and hang on it will be great as she grows her enjoyment, my wife has bought 2 guns on her own, so far.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
"As for me, I finally got to put my RJM to the test. The weight of the gun is something that I felt very at home with (my bow is also considered to be on the heavy side) and the kick from the .45LC wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. The cushioned grip that is typical on all Raging series weapons made the RJM a dream to shoot both SA and DA. My next time out I plan to get some .454 and really see how it does."

I sense another recoil junky in the making.
You're gonna love it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts