Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else used a high-quality synthetic high-temp grease (the type used for trailer bearings) on their semi-auto pistol slides? I found myself out of gun oil one day & used some of this grease. It didn't burn off & the made the slide action feel quite smooth. I know the big companies put a lot of R&D into stuff like this, I don't know about the smaller production gun oils. It seemed to work great.

Am I the only one that has tried this?

Now, lets not start a flame war. I just want to see if anyone else has done it. I was quite pleased. I am sure a lot of people will respond saying that guns need gun oil.....but, objectively, what makes gun oil specific for guns?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use super-lube on the slide of my pistols. It was given to me to try at a gun shop.
I like it, it works well and doesn't dry up like oil.

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
I've tried various greases but was never very satisfied with them. They tended to accumulate dirt and would not last the duration of an IPSC Match. Switched to heavy oil (Straight 30w Motor Oil) instead and haven't looked back. I also like Mobil 1 10w30 for cold climate use and on the interior of my AR15A2 Bolt Carrier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use some Military gun grease a friend gave me a number of years back. He gave me several small vials and they have lasted many years. It works well.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What I found that works well on my auto's is Shooter's Choice all weather high tech, it's red and easy to see and apply, comes in a syringe applicator and goes along way. Takes very little. Has stopped all the wear patterns on mine. Have tested in freezer to 28 degs. and oven to 300 degs. didn't affect it.
Stays where I put it and is there when I'm done shootin.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Texas, that sounds just like "Gun Butter"... the stuff I use and highly recommend.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a jar of 'Pro-Gold' gun grease that works quite well. It is gold in color. I used the high-temp automotive grease because I figured it can't be too different from the Pro-Gold.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put a light coat of automotive lithium grease on the slide. Works well and 1.00 worth will last the life of the gun.
Harry

·
Registered
846 Posts
Pierce, I've never seen gun butter, but it may be. Allot of things are made by one and packaged by several. I've found it's got better reviews than Wilson combat grease. I like it. Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt, Cabelas all carry it, I pay $3. something a tube. It sure smoothed out my autos.

·
Registered
325 Posts
harryk said:
I put a light coat of automotive lithium grease on the slide. Works well and 1.00 worth will last the life of the gun.
Harry
i use the same. very cheap on the pocket and it lasts forever.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I prefer Mobile 1 10w30 full synthethic oil and if i ever use grease, it would be the Mobile-1 full synthetic grease in the tube that goes in a greas gun for bearing and what not. I use it on my SKS's,mossberg 500,and occasionally on pistol rails.

The good thing about it ,is it will stay there and not run out of the gun or dry up after a couple weeks. A good thing for a truck or nightstand gun. I don't know how well it is for extended range trips.

If your pistols is collecting to much dirt maby you are using to much. Grease, like oil, only takes a small invisible layer rubbed into the metal and you still get the full effectiveness. How many rounds do you put threw a match? My pistols are pretty dirt ,regardless, after 200-250 winchester white box.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I typically shoot 200 rounds per session. It's an easy number, 2 boxes of ammo (then I don't have loose bullets rolling around). The grease has kept everything moving smoothly each time. 200 rounds wasn't too many.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Anybody ever try dry lube on the slide, such as LPS ptfe high temp (500 deg F) dryfilm lubricant? Seems to me that it should work well, anybody know any reason not to use it?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Don't know just put more than oil on them I believe and the wear and problems will be less, mine work better with it. I've seen the Wilson Combat grease bunch swear by it.
I just don't think oil is enough on these auto's. I guess use what you like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts