Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 16 year old grandson will run the Sturgis TT track today. A real hairy track. He is running the 450 Singles class. I will be surprised if he makes it to the semi-finals this evening, but will be proud for him if he just has a good initial showing. He will be on a Honda, wearing Red Leathers #117. Patrick Foy This is an old photo when his number was just 17. He will race again on Tuesday at the Black Hills half mile oval.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the Grandson, hope he is also safe.
There is nothing safe about motorcycle racing, and he already had a bad spill in Chandler AZ back in May. just hope all is well today.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weather delay in Sturgis!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congratulations on the Grandson hope he does well in his heat races and makes the big show. I did some flat track racing in high school and it can be a brutal sport for independents that are paying their own way without some backing for equipment.

·
Registered
18,818 Posts
:blink:....that's gotta' be the slowest TT track I've ever seen, it's so cut-up. That's gonna' be tough, really hard to get into a rhythm on that layout. I had some ill-timed company and couldn't tune in 'til late but luckily (for me) it was delayed. The twins just ran practice, supposedly the singles are up next for qualifying so hopefully I didn't miss much.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
18,818 Posts
One of the singles just broke his bike in two, hard landing off the jump. :unsure:...ya' don't see that a lot. There were a few crashes during practice too.

·
Registered
18,818 Posts
Aww damn! Patrick qualified 33rd with a 35.543 but they hadda' push his bike off the track, didn't say why. :sad:...this ain't good.

·
Registered
18,818 Posts
He came in 13th in his heat, only the first 10 move on so he's done for the day. Glad to see he got back out there though. He was only about 2 seconds off the leader's times so that's definitely respectable for most anyone, especially someone in their first pro season. :smile:...he done good. Definitely a one-line track, gettin' the holeshot was everything here.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He came in 13th in his heat, only the first 10 move on so he's done for the day. Glad to see he got back out there though. He was only about 2 seconds off the leader's times so that's definitely respectable for most anyone, especially someone in their first pro season. :smile:...he done good. Definitely a one-line track, gettin' the holeshot was everything here.
I imagine he was on his back up bike!

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
18,818 Posts
Retired MX champ Jeff Ward was in there, a bit surprised he didn't do better, considering the track layout and condition. A full blown MXer might've been a better ride than one set up for flat track. The track stayed pretty wet, you could see the washboards going into some of the turns and it was rutted-out in a lot of spots. That last turn, right before the finish took out quite a few. Most all of the top guys even got out of shape a few times, some came real close to losin' it more'n once. For TT, it seemed unusually brutal.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here's an overhead view of the track.....
View attachment 444149

...and a link to the results.......
https://www.americanflattrack.com/results/default

He was 42nd on lap time, 13th in his heat.
Tough Track, throws everything at you for a flat track competetion!

I wished the kid had done better, but I keep reminding myself of all the big factory teams and big sponsored teams like Red Bull and also realize he is racing against the best. He seems a little tentative in the pro races! Curious to see if his dad will sponsor and seek sponsers for a second season. If so, I will get a good sponser easily good for $100 a month. Races at Black Hills 1/2 mile oval tomorrow! Tuesday.

·
Registered
18,818 Posts
Tough Track, throws everything at you for a flat track competetion!

I wished the kid had done better, but I keep reminding myself of all the big factory teams and big sponsored teams like Red Bull and also realize he is racing against the best. He seems a little tentative in the pro races! Curious to see if his dad will sponsor and seek sponsers for a second season. If so, I will get a good sponser easily good for $100 a month. Races at Black Hills 1/2 mile oval tomorrow! Tuesday.
Sure, I'd like to have seen him smoke the whole bunch but if I were him, I'd be happy as heck with how he did. Ya' gotta' keep it in perspective here. First off, he really didn't have a chance in his heat because he had to start way in the back. There's no way he or anyone else in the back line could've gotten the holeshot and on this track, you pretty much had to get it to even have a prayer of placing in the top 5. Still, he placed 13th, beating 3 in his heat and a total of 6 (not counting No Starts) in his class on their heat lap times.

As for qualifying, I think being a rookie (in the pros) screwed him there because though I couldn't see him (they kept the cams on the front runners) I'll bet he didn't hang back. Even many of the veteran riders failed to do that and it screwed them on their lap times because they got held-up by the slower riders in front of them. Even so, he still beat 7 guys in his class on qualifying lap times.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, "the Flying Freckle" (Jeff Ward) was there and ran in the same class. Wardy is a 5 time AMA MX Champion, 2 time Supercross Champion, 7 time winner in the MX Des Nations (MX world team championship) and a 2 time Supermoto Champion. He finished first in his heat but was next to last in the main. His fastest lap time was in the main and he was less than 2 seconds faster than Patrick's heat time. I'll tell ya', man...:blink:...I'd love to be able to say I could turn laps within 2 seconds of Jeff Ward on the same track in any kind of motorcycle racing. ​That alone is somewhat phenomenal. :smile:...that boy should still be dancin'!

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, Patrick made it through qualifying but shows he did not finish in his heat round, In the Black Hills half mile oval. I haven't heard if he had a crash or had a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He just replied that his clutch was hot and he stalled out in the start. Kids getting better. Curious if he will race in Sacramento this weekend.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Patrick will be riding at Sacramento.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts