Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First impression are good! This gun is addictive and a blast to shoot. The grip is a tad small and my hands are medium sized, I can't imagine what a person with large hands does with this gun..my little finger is barely hanging on. Good thing there's virtually no recoil. I wondered if the loading process was going to get to be a PITA but really didn't find that to be the case with the ejection of the spent case followed quickly with the fresh round. I am looking forward to getting the walnut target stocks Saturday fitted to see how the grip is improved. I did not bench rest any of the shots fired so the groups are a result of my poor shooting technique. I did find a YouTube video on detail stripping to fluff and buff the trigger, but I didn't find the trigger feel to be obnoxious. I may do it at some point. The targets are at 26 feet...the center portion was the initial foray and then I started working the lower right..then left corners as I felt more familiar with it.

Red Pattern Design Textile Triangle

Text Triangle Design Font Graphics

Text Triangle Design Font

·
Registered
997 Posts
Looks like you took very nicely to the Rough Rider. At approx 9 yds that is pretty good shooting with a cheap "plinker". I was also surprised how quickly loading and reloading went at the range with mine. I thought I would be there for hours loading 6 (one at a time)...shooting six (single action) then unloading 6 (one at a time)....but did not take long to go thru 100 rds. I have calmed down a little about my situation with Heritage (Taurus) playing the hurry up and wait game for mine get get back to me, and them not telling me if it is a replacement or repair that is going to take 12 weeks. Glad I got the Buds lifetime warranty to take effect after the Heritage 1 year warranty is up. Actually it helped me to decide to give the Ruger Wrangler a try soon as I can get my hands on one. Having one of each can not hurt.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm glad you finally got it, and great shooting. I've had mine fora few years, and no issues other than watching to make sure the screws are tight... have not needed any blue loc-tite yet. As you and others know with my wrist in the condition that it is, shooting this revolver one handed, off hand / weak hand has really kept my spirits up. And knowing that I can at least shoot "something" for self-defense is awesome.

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Good shootin'! As to the grip, it's common practice to let the little finger return the gun to target by pushing it up with the little finger while cocking with the thumb....or the off hand thumb if you want to fire fast. This technique is more useful with center fire single actions. The gun doesn't roll up in the hand so much when firing .22LR. :D It's a habit I've gotten in to, though, over the years with single action guns.

OR, there's always aftermarket grips if you just HAVE to have that little finger on the grip. :D Not sure what's available for the Heritage, but I wonder if Ruger SS grips would fit? I have a zebra wood oversized finger groove grip on my 6.5" .357 Blackhawk. It's REAL comfy. :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good shootin'! As to the grip, it's common practice to let the little finger return the gun to target by pushing it up with the little finger while cocking with the thumb....or the off hand thumb if you want to fire fast. This technique is more useful with center fire single actions. The gun doesn't roll up in the hand so much when firing .22LR. :D It's a habit I've gotten in to, though, over the years with single action guns.

OR, there's always aftermarket grips if you just HAVE to have that little finger on the grip. :D Not sure what's available for the Heritage, but I wonder if Ruger SS grips would fit? I have a zebra wood oversized finger groove grip on my 6.5" .357 Blackhawk. It's REAL comfy. :D

In another post I remarked that I have a set of these on the way!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811189214

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Nice shootin' ! Man, you guys are really making me want a RR badly. :drool:

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Soo glad you had a good range day!:)

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Somebody mentioned loading and unloading. Man, that is one of the things that I actually LIKE about my RR. It makes me feel like John Wayne! Load 'er up, fire off six, then smile ear-to-ear when using the shell ejector. :) Then maybe glance over to the other lanes as the envious other shooters eyeball you and your cowboy sidearm. Heh. If you really want to make 'em jealous, load up the Henry lever action.

Reactions: mark7mod0

·
Super Moderator
38,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Were you shooting .22LR or .22 WMR?
22 LR so far...I priced out the magnums at Wally world and found that those things are expensive. May have to try and find a sale on-line...if such things exist.

Somebody mentioned loading and unloading. Man, that is one of the things that I actually LIKE about my RR. It makes me feel like John Wayne! Load 'er up, fire off six, then smile ear-to-ear when using the shell ejector. :) Then maybe glance over to the other lanes as the envious other shooters eyeball you and your cowboy sidearm. Heh. If you really want to make 'em jealous, load up the Henry lever action.
The .44 Marlin was miffed that he got left at home! :D

I also owe the USPS an apology...my grips are in today's mail...I hope that they arrive in good shape.

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Originally Posted by chefduane

Somebody mentioned loading and unloading. Man, that is one of the things that I actually LIKE about my RR. It makes me feel like John Wayne! Load 'er up, fire off six, then smile ear-to-ear when using the shell ejector.
Then maybe glance over to the other lanes as the envious other shooters eyeball you and your cowboy sidearm. Heh. If you really want to make 'em jealous, load up the Henry lever action.
I shot a pepper popper match one weekend. After the shoot, my buddy was acting RO, asked if I could shoot it with my .357 Blackhawk. I knocked 'em all down, but missed one and then I had to reload. I told him "Now I know what Custer felt like." That got much laughter. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I shot a pepper popper match one weekend. After the shoot, my buddy was acting RO, asked if I could shoot it with my .357 Blackhawk. I knocked 'em all down, but missed one and then I had to reload. I told him "Now I know what Custer felt like." That got much laughter. :laugh:

Actually, as a side note, many historical Scholars, 19th century military weapons experts, and just Western history Buffs believe that Custer did not carry the Colt Single Action into battle at the Little Bighorn. Photographic evidence from the day suggest that he probably carried a .420 caliber Webley Royal Irish Constabulary revolver. It was a double action revolver but the procedure for ejecting the empties was complicated and time-consuming. The gun is suggested to have been a gift to him from British royalty that he guided for on a hunting trip in the West before his military service.

Who really knows? I find it very interesting however to consider all possibilities. Only one firearm a trapdoor carbine has been specifically proven forensically to have been at the battle. After confirmation that it actually had been used in the battle it sold at auction for a quarter million dollars.

Don

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Actually, as a side note, many historical Scholars, 19th century military weapons experts, and just Western history Buffs believe that Custer did not carry the Colt Single Action into battle at the Little Bighorn. Photographic evidence from the day suggest that he probably carried a .420 caliber Webley Royal Irish Constabulary revolver. It was a double action revolver but the procedure for ejecting the empties was complicated and time-consuming. The gun is suggested to have been a gift to him from British royalty that he guided for on a hunting trip in the West before his military service.

Who really knows? I find it very interesting however to consider all possibilities. Only one firearm a trapdoor carbine has been specifically proven forensically to have been at the battle. After confirmation that it actually had been used in the battle it sold at auction for a quarter million dollars.

Don

Well, whatever. I'm sure he WASN'T carrying a Ruger KP90DC with which I'd won the pepper popper shoot that day.

Reactions: BangBang

·
Super Moderator
38,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wood

Got the walnut stocks...kind of rushed fitting them and they still need a bit more work...some "gap osis" on the forward side of the pair.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Looks really good. 8)

·
Super Moderator
38,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
They wouldn't fit my RR, being a round butt and all. Perhaps I should buy another RR for those grips. :D

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Administrator
18,415 Posts
Good Shooting and those Grips are gorgeous! :cool: Glad the Revolver and Grips arrived, safe and sound! :smile:

May it serve you well! :smile:

Reactions: Czechbikr
1 - 20 of 28 Posts