Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the good..the Sig is a hoot to shoot. Great trigger, low recoil for a 45 ACP and had one FTF out of 80 rounds. It might be shooting a tad left at 25 feet per the target below.

P320 target.jpg

Now the Canik TP9SFL with the 10 round magazine was also very accurate, perhaps even more so than the Sig. Firing my 9mm reloaded 124 grain PRN and PHPCB it was putting them on POA, again with a very sweet trigger. It would NOT feed the next round..at all. I had to eject every single case with a slide retraction. Very frustrating. I shot three magazines and gave it up.

Now true confessions. I shot them out of the box with no cleaning or lube whatsoever. I know...mortal sin. My excuse is that I've been really busy and even the range trip was sandwiched between a photo shoot of some real estate.

Looking at the feed ramp of the Canik, it appears to be at a very steep angle. I've never had one before so don't know what it should look like.

I will be cleaning them both thoroughly and have them lubed for the next outing...maybe tomorrow!

The third gun out today was the CZ 75 Compact which did not disappoint...as usual. Ran those 9mm Xtreme PHP 124 grain reload through it and yes, they are accurate. Just don't see the advantage over the PRN to justify spending more for them.

·
Administrator
18,038 Posts
Congratulations on your new Sig P320 and Canik TP9SFL and sounds like you've had a productive Range Trip! :cool: :smile:

Glad that the Sig P320 in .45 ACP is shooting fairly well!

Also glad that your Canik TP9SFL is accurate, and most all Caniks are, as even the lowest priced ones come with a Nitride finished Match Grade Barrel.
Sorry to read that you've had a feed reliability issue. Both my Canik made TriStar T120 and TP9V1 have NEVER failed to feed anything 9mm that I've fed it, so far.
My Canik TP9V1 also has a very very steep Feed Ramp, if you can call it that. I'm thinking it feeds more directly from the Magazine into the Chamber and bypasses the Feed Ramp.
I'm thinking you may have a Magazine Issue there. Give your Magazine a thorough cleaning and see if that helps.
Only a 10 round Magazine? My Canik TP9V1 Magazines hold 18 rounds. I can see where you would want a 10 round Magazine for shooting USPSA Production Class.

Glad that the Cz75 Compact is still delivering good times at the Range! :cool: :smile:

·
Super Moderator
36,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The funny thing is that the Canik feed ramp is brightly polished while the Sig ramp looks like a it's got a nitride coating just like the rest of the barrel. I considered polishing the feed ramp of the P320, but figured if it wasn't broken...why fix it. One FTF on that guy and probably due to a dirty gun. I have both cleaned and lubed and waiting for the chance to get back out. I have three 18 rounds Canik mags on order from GrabAGun which I hoped would be shipped by the time I go to shoot again, but they are taking their time on getting them out and I won't have that much patience...I want to shoot those guns. One Canik forum post said to leave the slide out of battery to relax the RSA...another said that Canik will send out a lighter pound RSA if asked at NC...I already made that inquiry also.

·
Super Moderator
36,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mentioned running handloads with the Canik? Maybe you have a COL problem. Does the Canik pass the plunk test?
I've not tried that yet, but load them fairly short as my PT 111 G2 magazines demand it. I was having an issue with rounds hanging up in those mags when I first got that gun. After cleaning the heck out of those units, I finally figured out that the 9mm rounds which fed fine if my CZ 75 and PT 92 were too long for those magazines.

I'm operating with the suspicion that the RSA is too strong, from info on the Canik forum. Canik replied to my email telling them of the issue and they are sending a lighter RSA assembly. I also have the gun stored with the slide retracted. I'll try those higher pressure rounds tomorrow or Thursday to see how they run.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
36,587 Posts
I've not tried that yet, but load them fairly short as my PT 111 G2 magazines demand it. I was having an issue with rounds hanging up in those mags when I first got that gun. After cleaning the heck out of those units, I finally figured out that the 9mm rounds which fed fine if my CZ 75 and PT 92 were too long for those magazines.

I'm operating with the suspicion that the RSA is too strong, from info on the Canik forum. Canik replied to my email telling them of the issue and they are sending a lighter RSA assembly. I also have the gun stored with the slide retracted. I'll try those higher pressure rounds tomorrow or Thursday to see how they run.
HMMMM??
I can't remember right now but seems LIKE SOMEONE was having the same problems but with a 45 acp I think it was, and once THEY shortened the OAL up a tad it ran fine.
But then again I could be wrong?
If Canik is like CZ then they have pretty short throats, mine ah the shortest chamber of any 9 MM or 45 acp that I own.
those fat booletts just some times cause problems.

·
Registered
36,587 Posts
You mentioned running handloads with the Canik? Maybe you have a COL problem. Does the Canik pass the plunk test?
I personally use the plunk and spin test!
not only does the boolett plunk but I can take my finger and turn it in the chamber as well.

·
Administrator
18,038 Posts
Just a reloading note here.

My Canik TP9V1 runs my Berry's 124 grain Flat Pointed Bullet reloads, with a COL of 1.065 without issue. For that Bullet, I've found that to be the optimal length for Cz's and Cz Clones.
While the rest of my 9mm Pistols may not need to have that bullet seated that short, they feed and shoot it well, just the same. Velocity is 1130 fps from a Tanfoglio 4.5 inch barrel.

Canik TP9V1 Accuracy at 50 feet with 124 grain Match Reload

·
Super Moderator
36,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got out to the range this afternoon, it's National Relaxation Day after all. It was a redux with the Sig and the Canik. Pretty sure the Sig sights are dead on...it's the shooter. Didn't shoot it from a rest, but was able to put them on center. The Canik was loaded with the 9mm 124 Grain PRN with the 4.8 grains of HP38, about 8% heavier than I usually load them. I ran 40 rounds through with out a single FTE . I wondered if the RSA was getting looser so I loaded a magazine with the usual lighter rounds and...FTF every time. I should be getting the lighter RSA that Century is sending this week and I'll have to get back out to try it again with the standard loads.

·
Registered
526 Posts
First the good..the Sig is a hoot to shoot. Great trigger, low recoil for a 45 ACP and had one FTF out of 80 rounds. It might be shooting a tad left at 25 feet per the target below.
Well I finally got my Sig P320 out to the range yesterday. I'm very pleased with how things went. It's a very comfortable 45 ACP to shoot. I put about 150 rounds through it. At 7 yards I shot the center out of my target. Instead of breaking it in with 230 gr round ball, I decided to break the pup in with what I intend to feed it going forward. I shot my reloads from the git go. They're 185 gr SWC coated Bayou Bullets over 4 grains of Clays powder. Initially the P320 seemed to have a little problem digesting the first round from the magazine when I had 5 rounds in it. When I put 3 rounds in the magazine it functioned just fine. Here's my plan, (1) break out the Flitz and Dremel to polish the black coated feed ramp and (2) load the three magazines to a full ten rounds and let them sit for a few days to "set." I'm thinking if I were shooting FMJ ammo things would have been a bit smoother. I am happy with my "cheap" new toy. I'll report back if the feed ramp polishing makes the round count in the magazines less finicky.

·
Super Moderator
36,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I finally got my Sig P320 out to the range yesterday. I'm very pleased with how things went. It's a very comfortable 45 ACP to shoot. I put about 150 rounds through it. At 7 yards I shot the center out of my target. Instead of breaking it in with 230 gr round ball, I decided to break the pup in with what I intend to feed it going forward. I shot my reloads from the git go. They're 185 gr SWC coated Bayou Bullets over 4 grains of Clays powder. Initially the P320 seemed to have a little problem digesting the first round from the magazine when I had 5 rounds in it. When I put 3 rounds in the magazine it functioned just fine. Here's my plan, (1) break out the Flitz and Dremel to polish the black coated feed ramp and (2) load the three magazines to a full ten rounds and let them sit for a few days to "set." I'm thinking if I were shooting FMJ ammo things would have been a bit smoother. I am happy with my "cheap" new toy. I'll report back if the feed ramp polishing makes the round count in the magazines less finicky.

I started searching "polishing P320 feed ramp" last night also as I was considering polishing mine. It seems that they did switch over to the coated ramps and the general consensus is that it doesn't cause problems. I had loaded my two mags that came with the gun at least a day and a half prior to my first outing and had one FTF out of all reloads (230 grain PRN) fired. This was with the pistol not cleaned prior. The second time out I had no issues with 80 rounds. I plan to let mine wear in and not try to remove the coating. I suspect it's more of a magazine thing than barrel issue.

My concern is changing the ramp geometry as that coating is tough stuff. I'll wait certainly until I hear hear how yours does...going to school on Confused! ;)

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Glad you figured out the issue on the Canik.... I "heard" they are designed to run on hotter ammo? Those are some good shooting guns.
I have 2 of the DA models, an Elite, and a C-100. They are my favorite shooters.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I started searching "polishing P320 feed ramp" last night also as I was considering polishing mine. It seems that they did switch over to the coated ramps and the general consensus is that it doesn't cause problems.
Interesting. A guy at the range said his full size P320 had a shiny feed ramp. As I'm typing I have the barrel sitting in front of me next to the bottle of Flitz. The ramp feels slick. There is a bright "wear spot" on the upper left side of the ramp. Also the ramp seems to have a slight valley down it's center. I think I may just chat with Sig's CS folks before I fire up the Dremel. Don't want to blow up the warranty on my new toy.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wait, wait, wait.... If I tell the CS folks I'm shooting reloads, I've already blown up my warranty! Guess I won't be chatting with them.

·
Registered
36,587 Posts
I started searching "polishing P320 feed ramp" last night also as I was considering polishing mine. It seems that they did switch over to the coated ramps and the general consensus is that it doesn't cause problems. I had loaded my two mags that came with the gun at least a day and a half prior to my first outing and had one FTF out of all reloads (230 grain PRN) fired. This was with the pistol not cleaned prior. The second time out I had no issues with 80 rounds. I plan to let mine wear in and not try to remove the coating. I suspect it's more of a magazine thing than barrel issue.

My concern is changing the ramp geometry as that coating is tough stuff. I'll wait certainly until I hear hear how yours does...going to school on Confused! ;)
AHHH_- the old it ain't broke so I am going to fix it!
here hold my Beer and let me show you how to do that!!!---GriiiiN>

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait, wait, wait.... If I tell the CS folks I'm shooting reloads, I've already blown up my warranty! Guess I won't be chatting with them.
Tell them that you are shooting "target ammo"...

Reactions: jwc007 and confused

·
Super Moderator
36,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just field stripped mine and see some copper "wipe" on the feed ramp. Not going to buff mine out.

I received my reduced power RSA from Canik today also and got that installed...quite the difference when racking the slide. Maybe get out on Thursday to give it a run...actually both of them.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not going to buff mine out.
Based on the crowdsourced information I was able to glean from the Infoweb, one is best advised NOT to polish the Nitron finished feed ramp on a Sig P320. Also P320s in 45 ACP are not fond of SWCs. It was recommended that I slap the mag against my palm to make sure the rounds are all the way to the rear of the mag.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts