1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
That's a nice looking shooter indeed!:drool::drool:

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
It's like experiencing Nirvana - isn't it? :D The S&W 686 is an iconic revolver! Glad you got to experience it! Is it time to put one on the list??

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
686s are a might heavy as wheel guns go, not N frame big, but bigger, heavier, and harder to carry than the K frames. But, they are tougher guns than the K frames. I've split the flat bottomed forcing cone on a K frame before. That's a rather notorious problem with 'em that Smith and Wesson was trying to cure with the L frame. That won't happen on an L frame. So, it's a bit of a compromise, lighter than the N frames, but stronger guns than the K frames.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Actually if you take a look at the weight the 686 is very close to the 629. My wife loves her 686as a house gun but bought a Tracker for the woods. I preceded my 58 or 629 until I got a Tracker .41. Her 686 action slicked up easier than any other S&W I have ever worked on. I prefer it to my Python.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have its twin. I've posted pics of it here many times before. I've owned mine for 28 years. Its a beautiful thing to behold. As you say the trigger is absolutely perfect with minimal felt recoil. Its one of those guns I'll have until I take the big dirt nap.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
24,605 Posts
I loves my 686.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Just plan on getting one now. :D

·
Registered
12,088 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Keep an eye out of a used Lew Horton 2.5" 686 with the combat grips. Not cheap but well worth the price.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I carried a 4 inch 686 as a duty weapon for several years. I wish I still had it!

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
That's a beautiful gun!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
There is an old timer at my outdoor range who is dead nuts with his 686 like you would not believe. He routinely puts a wad cutter through the same hole in his target. He uses the little 2in rifle targets at 7 yards.

·
Administrator
17,816 Posts
Had a 6 inch barreled S&W 686 for a couple of years, back in the late 1980's. Very Nice Revolver. Hunted Deer with it during the Handgun Season and took a nice Buck with it.

It was one of the firearms I sold off to fund my L1A1 FN FAL Rifle project later on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts