Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CHL expires Feb. 10th. Mine was issued Feb, 10th 2015, and the laws on them changed Mar, 23 2015. It now takes twice the paperwork. You now have Federal NICS questions as well as Ohio. If your certification is over 6 years ago, you have to get re-certified.

Ohio is a "Shall issue" state where the Sheriffs can't deny them without cause. However, they can take up to 4 weeks again. You can renew as early as 90 days. If I'd looked it up sooner, I'd started around Thanksgiving.

We'll see how smooth the new process is on Monday where our local Sheriff has 4pm to 8pm hours for the paperwork, picture, new prints, and collect $50 for 5 years. The plus side is I pick up Texas and Wisconsin with this renewal.

The bad part is in 4-1/2 years, I have to take the certification course again for the next renewal.

Maloy

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
Texas continues to make it easier to keep your LTC current. After the first time, it's only $25 to renew and it can be done through the mail, and you can check progress on the state website. Easy peasy.

I hope you get yours done.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm grateful that the "License to Carry Concealed" is extremely quick and easy in Pennsylvania. I got mine in less than 20 minutes. I just dropped in, filed out some paperwork, handed them $20, they had me take a seat, called me back before I had even settled into the chair, snapped a quick pixelated photo of me, printed out a card, and I walked right out the door and went on with my business.

To think that I had put off getting one for a few years because I assumed that it would be a huge hassle.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
I can't recall exactly what ILLinois does since I try to put bad memories away asap. We re-certify each time and between the class and the fee it's about 250 bucks. Then there's the FOID card (10.00) that is also a requirement to get the CCW and buy firearms, ammo and reloading components.

·
Registered
845 Posts
MI is pretty easy now. The state by law has to send you a letter 6 months before the CPL expires. The letter has a pin # on it that you use to renew online. No retraining if you certify you have been to the range & read up on the newest laws. Took 7 days to get mine. When I renewed 5 years ago, it took 4 months. Computerizing the process was awesome.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
In Florida, I did mine online and had the new license in hand in just a couple of weeks.

Mrs. 230JHP renewed hers at the local tag agency, in and out in about 20 minutes. Fill out some paperwork, get a picture taken, write a check. Bada-boom. Longest delay was waiting for a couple of people ahead of her.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

The bad part is in 4-1/2 years, I have to take the certification course again for the next renewal.

Maloy
What’s involved with the course?

·
17,565 Posts

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,935 Posts
Texas continues to make it easier to keep your LTC current. After the first time, it's only $25 to renew and it can be done through the mail, and you can check progress on the state website. Easy peasy.

I hope you get yours done.
Heck, I renewed my LTC online. Took about 10 minutes and it was in the mail box within 2 weeks. :D

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maloy - Renewed mine (2nd renewal) last month in Geauga - $50, they took the new picture, I was in and out in 20 minutes. Got the new license in the mail 3-days later. Found out afterward that if I had my DD214 with me the sheriff would have waived the $50 fee!

Bob

Reactions: Czechbikr and oso

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
In Texas, since I have already received 2 times. I can di all through the mail. Don't have to re certify again at all.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
My CHL expires Feb. 10th. Mine was issued Feb, 10th 2015, and the laws on them changed Mar, 23 2015. It now takes twice the paperwork. You now have Federal NICS questions as well as Ohio. If your certification is over 6 years ago, you have to get re-certified.

Ohio is a "Shall issue" state where the Sheriffs can't deny them without cause. However, they can take up to 4 weeks again. You can renew as early as 90 days. If I'd looked it up sooner, I'd started around Thanksgiving.

We'll see how smooth the new process is on Monday where our local Sheriff has 4pm to 8pm hours for the paperwork, picture, new prints, and collect $50 for 5 years. The plus side is I pick up Texas and Wisconsin with this renewal.

Maloy

Maloy, when did all of the recertification start ? My wife and I both renewed again after Mar. 23 2015 and it was not required. If anything it has gotten easier, only needed to provide photo for original CHL, all renewals since have gone easy as GeaugaBob has stated. Check out Ohioans For Concealed Carry website they will have all up to date info as should county website. You should be able to go to county website print out paperwork, fill it out, take to county sheriff and pay $50.

·
Administrator
39,352 Posts
In Texas, since I have already received 2 times. I can di all through the mail. Don't have to re certify again at all.
You don't have to mess with the mail. Do it online from your recliner. Takes less than 10 minutes, then wait for your mail carrier. It's that easy.:thumb:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't recall exactly what ILLinois does since I try to put bad memories away asap. We re-certify each time and between the class and the fee it's about 250 bucks. Then there's the FOID card (10.00) that is also a requirement to get the CCW and buy firearms, ammo and reloading components.
And don't forget the 120 day wait (punishment?) if you don't provide prints. /s But only 90 days if you do.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had my paperwork ready before going down to our local Sheriff's office at 4pm. On Mondays they have hours for CCW/CHL from 4pm to 8pm. I spent an hour though the entire process. I got a call around 9:30am on Wednesday to come pick it up.

They even returned my original paperwork from five years ago to dispose of properly. So my renewal from start to finish was less than 48 hours.

Maloy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts