Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They just got it at the local rip joint gun shop down the street. They have an indoor range, why I was there. The gun is NEAT! I WANT IT! I didn't really get to play with it, had a ty wrap through the barrel/chamber. They were asking $399 which I'm thinkin' is at least 100 bucks too much. But, I like the size and feel of the thing, very neat little handgun and the slide is aluminum and well made, not cast zinc alloy.

Reactions: andreew

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's funny. I just pawed my first one today. It is a neat little 22. I thknk as soon as my wife gets a hold of one, I'll have to figure out a way to make it happen.

·
Registered
703 Posts
They just got it at the local rip joint gun shop down the street. They have an indoor range, why I was there. The gun is NEAT! I WANT IT! I didn't really get to play with it, had a ty wrap through the barrel/chamber. They were asking $399 which I'm thinkin' is at least 100 bucks too much. But, I like the size and feel of the thing, very neat little handgun and the slide is aluminum and well made, not cast zinc alloy.
Yes, that's $100 too much. You should be able to find it for less elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Just saw a couple last weekend at the gun show for $299-329. It is nice, but most of us SR owners are disappointed that they didn't keep the same ergonomics. That said, if it had been around a year ago, I would have that instead of the Walther P22.

·
Super Moderator
35,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I kinda want one to replace a Phoenix Arms HP22 as a pocket outdoor carry/kit gun. It's bigger, but lighter and it's smaller than my Rossi 511 revolver and lighter. That Rossi is deadly accurate, but too big for even a cargo pocket. I might have to carry the SR22 in a cargo pocket when I go fishing as it's not back pocket sized, but it should be as accurate as that little HP22, which is amazing and why I've kept the little zinc wonder, and it's lighter. If I wanted a .22 to match my 9mm carry I'd get this... Twisted Industries, Inc. -KelTec 22 Conversion Kits- PF9 P11 P32 P3AT . But, I figure the little Ruger to be a bit more accurate for my purposes and I'd rather get another Ruger, would be my eighth. :D I handload and I cast my own bullets. I have a Dillon Square Deal progressive set up for my 9x19 practice loads and can rip a hundred rounds off with it in less than 30 minutes for about 5 bucks total cost. So, heck, I can shoot the real deal for practice for less than CCI .22s cost. :D When I shoot indoors, the 9s are more fun than .22, also. It's the macho bigger bang Tim Allen thing. :D

Reactions: Zylo_X

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
There might be a couple more 'options' available for the P22 for now, but for your use, I think you would be well served with the SR22. That is almost my exact train of thought before getting the P22 ie. big enough to be comfortable and accurate, yet small enough to keep handy. I'm down to only one Ruger (SR9C), but have been a 'ruger guy' since the P85. The only thing keeping it out of my collection so far, is that the P22 is already doing the job. After I hit the PowerBall, I'll get the SR22 and reloading equipment for my 1911's. MORE POWER!! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just saw a couple last weekend at the gun show for $299-329. It is nice, but most of us SR owners are disappointed that they didn't keep the same ergonomics. That said, if it had been around a year ago, I would have that instead of the Walther P22.
Interesting. I've only seen pictures of the SR online, but it reminded me a lot of the Walther. What kind of comparison would you make and why does the SR get the edge?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Interesting. I've only seen pictures of the SR online, but it reminded me a lot of the Walther. What kind of comparison would you make and why does the SR get the edge?
I just had a quickie pawing at the crowded gun show table, but I'll give it a shot. Basically, the 'feel' was just overall better, from the grips to the more 'normal' control placement (frame mounted safety and mag release). With almost all other things being equal, I'd prefer the aluminum (SR22) construction to the zinc (P22), and the reassembly doesn't require the 'swizzle stick' (P22). From a couple online reviews, the SR22 seems a little less picky about ammo than the P22, and has seemingly better sights. I've tried not to dwell on it, but I'd probably sell my P22 at a loss to get the SR22. Admittedly, I have not shot the SR22, but I do have the SR9C, and have been a long time 'Ruger-Guy'. Hope that helps, but it's difficult when I have (and like) the P22, but don't have (and want) the SR22.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just had a quickie pawing at the crowded gun show table, but I'll give it a shot. Basically, the 'feel' was just overall better, from the grips to the more 'normal' control placement (frame mounted safety and mag release). With almost all other things being equal, I'd prefer the aluminum (SR22) construction to the zinc (P22), and the reassembly doesn't require the 'swizzle stick' (P22). From a couple online reviews, the SR22 seems a little less picky about ammo than the P22, and has seemingly better sights. I've tried not to dwell on it, but I'd probably sell my P22 at a loss to get the SR22. Admittedly, I have not shot the SR22, but I do have the SR9C, and have been a long time 'Ruger-Guy'. Hope that helps, but it's difficult when I have (and like) the P22, but don't have (and want) the SR22.
That DOES, indeed, help. I may have to start looking...

·
Super Moderator
35,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd prefer the aluminum (SR22) construction to the zinc (P22),
This is THE biggest factor IMHO. I'm trying to get totally away from zinc. My little HP22 is all zinc and it's had some frame battering problems I've had to work around. It still runs, but zinc is heavy and just does not hold up in the long haul. The main reason it is used is it can be manufactured CHEAP.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
This is THE biggest factor IMHO. I'm trying to get totally away from zinc. My little HP22 is all zinc and it's had some frame battering problems I've had to work around. It still runs, but zinc is heavy and just does not hold up in the long haul. The main reason it is used is it can be manufactured CHEAP.
YES. While I've had no problems with the P22, I've only had it about a year, so I can't speak to the 'long term'. Since I do have a preference for Ruger, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt about a new model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts