Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
35,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Notice anything in particular? Like, what gun was rated an 'F' right on the front of their envelope?

The ad is for a company called Gun Tests. They advertise themselves as kind of a Consumer Reports for guns - they don't take any advertising money from gun companies, apparently. It's just interesting that Taurus takes the beating on the envelope, then takes another one inside when they show a comparison of 32acp guns, the Walther PPK and a Taurus PT132. Call me crazy, but is any 32acp gun going to measure up to that Walther?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just another item keeping the Post Office business model afloat. If it were not for junk mail somedays I'd get nothing - LOL

On a related note, ever wonder how much money the NRA and NRA-ILA spend in marketing mail? Crikey! it must be huge!

·
Super Moderator
35,566 Posts
Most Taurus owners will know that they are a bogus operation just by looking at the envelope. They are obviously playing to the gun snobs and the haters.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
It's just an opinion magazine as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
DID it come with a self addressed return envelope?? IF so stuff all the crap back in the envelope, remove any of your name or addresss info. Drop it in the mail... let them pay the postage back... I do it all the time with anything that I didnt solicit especially credit card apps. NO self addressed envelope.... no sweat, address it back to them with their own return address in the corner and no postage. THey will still get it with a request for insufficent postage!!!!
Its a great way to show your support for the US postal service as well....

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I used to get Gun Tests years ago, and I kind of liked it. At the time the only place you could go for gun reviews were magazines like Guns and Ammo, and the problem with their reviews is they never said anything really bad about anything. The strongest negative you used to get was damning by faint praise, so you had to kind of read between the lines to get the real message. Gun Tests doesn't sell advertising, so they're not beholding to any manufacturers and can offer some pretty frank reviews. Course that was thirty years ago, and with today's availability of info on the web, there's not trouble uncovering the good, the bad, and the ugly about firearms - without buying a subscription. Gun Tests was a good idea when they first came out, but in today's information age, it would be like selecting a horse drawn carriage for your daily commute. My $.02

·
Registered
70 Posts
Used to subscribe to Gun Tests. It is the "consumer reports" of firearms and they do a good job of providing unbiased reviews and comparisons of all types of firearms and ammo. Taurus does get its fair share of very favorable reviews ( ex. pt145, 738). Maybe instead of putting grades on the selected firearms, they put question marks to peak the interest of the consumer to open the envelope. Heck, they gave the Ithaca a D-, and Ithaca has a reputation for fine shotguns.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Pfft.

I am the best rater I know.

All of my handguns are now Taurus, except for one.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I've been subscribing to Gun Tests for a few years. That mailer is unfortunate because it is biased. Gun Tests magazine and their archives on the internet are less biased and Taurus has been graded well on most models. Gun Tests will equally give a bad grade to a high dollar gun as well as to affordable guns.

If you are a 1911 fan, you will get to see a ton of tests on 1911's. Gun Tests loves 1911s and tests different models frequently through a year.

Other pluses for Gun Tests:
1. No advertisements (but you make up for this in paying a bit more for a subscription)
2. Most of the testers appear to be from Texas (oh wait, maybe I am biased ;))
3.* If you purchase your subscription over the internet, you will have access to all of Gun Tests archives with a decent comparison section that allows you to research guns new or old. Of course, you get a printed magazine in the mail.

Gun Tests the consumer resource for the serious shooter.

*EDIT: It looks like current mail order subscribers can get full internet access easily, here. http://www.gun-tests.com/subscribe/

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
It's just an opinion magazine as far as I am concerned.
That's actually the best description for Gun Tests. All reports are their opinions.

What I do like about GT is they don't hold back their opinions much no matter the maker of the gun. It can be almost heart breaking when they downgrade your old classic gun you've had for 20 years since you thought is was the best in class all this time. Such is the case with my old Marlin 39. Gun Tests don't like it nearly as much as I do. :p

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
DID it come with a self addressed return envelope?? IF so stuff all the crap back in the envelope, remove any of your name or addresss info. Drop it in the mail... let them pay the postage back... I do it all the time with anything that I didnt solicit especially credit card apps. NO self addressed envelope.... no sweat, address it back to them with their own return address in the corner and no postage. THey will still get it with a request for insufficent postage!!!!
I do the same thing with unsolicited mail that includes a postage paid envelope.

Reactions: harley 1986

·
Super Moderator
26,865 Posts
In UK when I lived there, unstamped mail was charged by weight. Freepost was also weight checked. After being at sea for two months I would come home to all this crap through the letterbox.
I would go to the local brickyard, buy some bricks and wrap the brick and then label it with the FREEPOST address. Amazing how quickly the letters stopped.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
They should have put their "F" on something else, because Taurus makes some "fine" revolvers!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts