Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my brand-new Taurus Tracker 44 this morning. Brought it back this afternoon...

My buddy at a gunshop said "friends don't let friends buy Taurus" when I first inquired. Out-of-the-box failures were high, quality was low, and customer service was the worst he had ever seen in the industry, anywhere, ever. I went to another shop ultimately but, out of the box at home, I noticed the crane/yoke front lock-up ball (actually a pin in this case) of my pretty new revolver didn't move but was obviously permanently pressed in. So, it would never impinge the detent and was of no benfit in a very powerful, relatively quite small, gun that needs all the support it can get in battery.

As I'm off to Alaska soon the gunsmith had to disassemble the cylinder, retaining pin, "ball" and spring to remove the burrs and polish the ball to finally get it to work. Now I can pick it up again and keep my fingers crossd that my buddy wasn't as right as he seems to have been. When you have a gun because you hope for the best but plan for the worst, this is disquieting....

How sad of Taurus.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sorry to here the GUN did not Pass Final Inspection...<:-((

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Updated Re: Got NIB Tracker this AM, brought it back PM

Update:
So, I get to range, load 1 round, spin cylinder w/out looking and begin firing. When it does fire the trigger does not return. I clean gun, load 2 rounds, do the same -- same problem. Clean gun. Repeat whole process w/4 rounds -- same issue. Clean. Dry fire a few dozen times after Remoiling (contains Teflon) throughout. Problem gone in Firing balance of 20 rounds. Gun stings w/heavy 300 gr. Federal Castcore Hunting/Vital Shock (P44E) loads and accuracy fell off. Noticed cylinder face "burn" at forcing cone interface area was darker on one side of cylinder bore than other on every hole suggesting cylinder/yoke is bending slightly (lockup is too light).

I am going to try Buffalo Bore's light recoil 255 gr. full-power cartridge and expect this (and maybe Grizzly Ammo's 275 Gr. .44 or one of Magtech's) might be better suited to such a little gun and still drop a Kodiak, I hope.

Alden

1 - 4 of 4 Posts