Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I applied for my permit on December 12, 2007 and, as per the law, submitted my DD-214 as proof of honorable discharge from the military. The supervisor of the clerks office told me that the judges would not accept my 214 since it was so old (13 years) and did not show "current" proof of training. I went ahead and submitted it, figuring I would fight the battle as it came up.

Virginia law says the court has 45 days to issue you your permit, otherwise it must issue a temp.

Today was day 47, so I went to the court as soon as they opened and asked the status of my permit. They checked and told me that the paperwork was still on Judge Apgar’s desk, that he was in court this morning, and that they would let me know when the paperwork was signed. I said that was fine, then mentioned that the law requires I be issued a temporary permit, and asked when it would be issued.

All of the clerks in the room looked at each other with a “what now?” look, till one of them disappeared into another office. After a few minutes, she walked back out and told me to take a seat.

Roughly five minutes later, I signed and was issued my permit. NOT a temp…but the actual permit.

Funny, isn’t it, how my paperwork was “on the judge’s desk” when I walked in, yet the completed permit was in my hands 15 minutes later when I pressed the issue?

We now know that Roanoke City does not like accepting DD-214’s with CHP applications, will drag their feet on completing the process, but in the end, will accept them.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
That would be tough call! I know from what I have read about my state, we have a right under castle doctrine to defend even if it is not our castle! People or property!

But from my son, who was a LEO until recently, the implications of getting in the middle of what might or might not be a domestic situation is not good.

"I had occasion just prior to Xmas, to come upon a GF/BF situation in a vehicle next to mine in a parking lot. I chose of course to not interfer, but if it had escalated into violence, I would have called 911, and re entered the store, We all had come from to let their management know what was going on. I would no way have gotten into that because she would probably have turned on me and then both would be on my skinny self. "

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Congrats on your permit, from Tulsa Oklahoma.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow Sarge that is a tough call. I have to say I could not stand by and do nothing if someone was being killed. That's why I believe it is wise to carry non lethal means of defense also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts