Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my new Taurus 605 from my FFL ... finally. It has been sitting at my FFL for two weeks, life just has not cooperated to let me get there to pick it up.
I AM THOROUGHLY IMPRESSSED!!
All 5 chambers lock up tight as a bank vault, barely any detectable wiggle at all.

The DA pull is as one would expect and desire, nice and heavy but easy to stage.

The SA trigger is UNBELIEVABLE! Zero take-up, and I mean zero. Zero creep, and I mean zero. Barely detectable over-travel. And a breaking-ice, clean, CRISP letoff at right at 3lbs. That's right, 3lbs!
I have spent hundreds of dollars on trigger jobs on other guns that are not as nice as this! The only other gun I own with as nice of a trigger pull is my $2,000.00 custom 1911. And this little Taurus might actually be better.

I have no idea if the Gods have just smiled on me and seen to it that I was sent a freakishly nice example of a Taurus 605, or if his is the norm. Maybe it fermented while sitting there at my FFL and turned into fine wine?

I have a set of Wolff springs that I ordered for it, but I am not going to even put them in. Doing so might cause me legal nightmares if I ever have to use it. I do not believe DA is good for anything but shoving the muzzle in a perp's belly and pulling the trigger, the LAST thing I would ever do is try for an ACCURATE shot using DA! So a stiff, 13lb or so DA pull is just fine by me.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Cool news...now onto the range report! I put snap caps in mine and after a few hundreds pulls it got even better!

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Doing the snap cap thing right now. I need to remove the grip and install some nice wood grips I have for it, but have to wait until my non-stock roll pins get here from Home Depot ... the wood grips need a shorter roll pin and I don't want to shorten the stock pin. While the grip is off, I am going to remove the side plate, clean the internals with cleaner/degreaser and compressed air, then lube everything with Slip2000 Gun Lube.

·
8,328 Posts
My 605's came the same way, and shoot great. I did do the Wolff on mine to get the DA down. Don't even use SA any more, as the DA is so smooth and light. Enjoy.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Years ago I took my older model 85, the 605's ancestor, to a gunsmith and asked him what he thought of the trigger. He told me he has people pay him to make a trigger as smooth as that one.
My newer 605 is the same way. Seems to be a pattern with Taurus revolvers.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Congrats on your new wheel gun.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Congrats on your new wheel gun!

I think you'll find that with a little practice the 605 is very accurate at range in DA. All it takes is a little practice.

I'm sure you'll love the 605.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on your new wheel gun.
Kruizer, I have spent untold hours, dry-firing, at the range, at least a thousand rounds of ammo, five or six training courses on how to master a DA trigger, and compared to a good SA shot I might as well throw the gun at the target in DA mode. I have a thousand-dollar Kahr MK40 Elite with Kahr's "legendary" DA-only trigger. I spent years trying to learn to shoot the blasted thing. It is now nothing but an expensive paper weight.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks like I spoke too soon.
I am going to have to send the gun in to Taurus for warranty work.
I registered the gun soon as I got home from my FFL.
It has stopped locking up consistently.
It will work for a little bit, then stop working and the cylinder just turns freely.
Doesn't matter whether SA or DA.
Then if I fiddle with it a bit, it will start working again and then stop again.
I won't even try to fire it.
I tried to call the 800 number listed on taurususa.com, but it is after hours and won't be able to speak with them until Monday (this is Friday evening).
I left a message with my email address telling the whole story and asking for assistance, and received an email saying they have received my message.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Congratulations OP on your new .357! Got any pictures?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I've had a 605 for a couple of weeks now (it will be my wife's bedside gun). I put a Viridian laser grip on it, and I've been learning to shoot with the laser.

It's a different technique of not actually raising the gun up to shoot over the sights, but keeping both eyes on the target and keeping that dot in place as I shoot DA as rapidly as possible, which is the way I'm going to have my wife use it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have two Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnums.

They’re awesome guns.

People knock on Taurus, but i would challenge a shooter with whatever revolver they have against one of Taurus revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations OP on your new .357! Got any pictures?
Congratulations on a gun that doesn't work and has to be sent in for warranty before it's ever even shot?
There won't be any pictures until I get it back from warranty work ... if that ever happens. Verdict on that is still out.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Congratulations on a gun that doesn't work and has to be sent in for warranty before it's ever even shot?
There won't be any pictures until I get it back from warranty work ... if that ever happens. Verdict on that is still out.
Some advice on all guns sent back to Taurus. Take off any and all items added like custom grips, sights, etc. If they replace the gun, they won't switch those things off on the new one and they will be lost.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Congrats on your new 605, hope Taurus gets it fixed quickly.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me how long it takes Taurus to get the gun back to you after it is sent in for warranty work?
Probably about two months?

This set-back will not affect my love of Taurus revolvers.
When it was working, before it "went South", I was in seventh heaven with it, and I will be when I get it back from warranty work.
I have snap caps and I have a bag of 100 357 blank cartridges.
I will give it a thorough work-out with the snap caps, and if no problems surface, go ahead and install my Wolff reduced power hammer spring (with a small shim washer to eradicate possible light strikes), and fire the hundred blanks to make sure there are no light strikes.
And while I am doing up the hammer spring also fit my wood grips.
Then it will be off to the range with a couple hundred 38 Special rounds and a few loads of full-house 357 Federal and Underwood ammo.

I have ordered this holster for it, which carries it fairly high on the belt for easy concealment under a windbreaker or longish vest, with no thumb break to get in the way ... don't need one because I won't be standing on my head.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079484RCH/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
60 Posts
Doing the snap cap thing right now. I need to remove the grip and install some nice wood grips I have for it, but have to wait until my non-stock roll pins get here from Home Depot ... the wood grips need a shorter roll pin and I don't want to shorten the stock pin. While the grip is off, I am going to remove the side plate, clean the internals with cleaner/degreaser and compressed air, then lube everything with Slip2000 Gun Lube.
it's quite possible that when you removed the side plate and sprayed stuff in there that the timing spring broke. I've broken springs before from spraying brake parts cleaner on them and then using them before they warm back up. I don't think a pocket revolver would ever get below room temp during normal use so that might be it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Looks like I spoke too soon.
I am going to have to send the gun in to Taurus for warranty work.
I registered the gun soon as I got home from my FFL.
It has stopped locking up consistently.
It will work for a little bit, then stop working and the cylinder just turns freely.
Doesn't matter whether SA or DA.
Then if I fiddle with it a bit, it will start working again and then stop again.
I won't even try to fire it.
I tried to call the 800 number listed on taurususa.com, but it is after hours and won't be able to speak with them until Monday (this is Friday evening).
I left a message with my email address telling the whole story and asking for assistance, and received an email saying they have received my message.
Wish me luck!
Mine did the exact same thing right after I got it. I took it to my gunsmith friend , who usually refuses to work on Taurus guns, and his autopsy report was factory filth. He said the only thing missing was coffee cups and cigarette butts. Flawless now - even better than my S&W 60-9.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.