Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
35,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my LTC, my drivers license. I'm not sure about other parts of Texas, but the Dallas area is having real issues with the DPS offices right now. The local media have shown the lines at the offices, and the governor is supposed to be coming up with something to deal with it. That part is definitely not fake news. I showed up this morning at 8:00am, when they opened, and the line was halfway around the building already. And the inside was full. Took 3 hours to get inside, then another 3 hours to get my renewal. I'm exhausted from the inactivity. They really should do something about this, I can renew next time online but in 12 years, I have to go back in. I'm dreading it already.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Yessir it’s like that here in Midland/Odessa area too . Took me little over 4 hrs total when i did mine . It’s been mentioned to let private businesses take over DL’s .

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
God that does sound awful. It would make me insane. My county has a small satellite DMV in a small strip mall. I usually walk straight up to the counter.

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
Gov. Abbott needs to consult with our Secretary of State Jesse White. Our system was a mess and he's whipped it into shape. the last time I had to go in it took all of about 20 minutes. He's a Democrat and I proudly vote for him every chance that I get.

Reactions: TonyC2639

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Here in Kansas, it used to be about an hour ordeal, but last time I renewed, I logged in from home, put my name in the queue, then drove to the DL office. Once there, I checked in and waited about 3 minutes to be called to the line. I was in and out of the DL office in under 8 minutes.

And who says there's something wrong with Kansas?

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
If it weren't for needing 2 tags renewed last time mine would have been under 10 minutes.
As it was, around 20 minutes or less.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Don’t go to the Texas regional offices for DL renewal. Take a short drive to an outlying small town with a DL office. In and out.
That was my suggestion. Here in Mineral Wells, if you have to wait at all, something is wrong - and that's with only one clerk. Feels funny to drive up on their parking lot and it's empty.

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
Whats the hold up? Does Texas do the real id requirements as the Fed Gov is requiring for airline travel? Florida started the real id verification 7+ years ago, I think everyone should have already been through the process by now.

·
Administrator
35,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy at the DMV yesterday told me that they are in the process of putting that star up on the top right corner of the new licenses, which will clear you for air travel domestically.

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
The guy at the DMV yesterday told me that they are in the process of putting that star up on the top right corner of the new licenses, which will clear you for air travel domestically.
So the lines and wait you are seeing is what we saw in Florida when they first started it here. People were not bringing proper documentation so it slowed down the process and often resulted in a return visit.

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
I'll wait for a while until my license is due for renewal and use my recently updated passport until then if I go anywhere.

I got a notice for an emissions test on my '15 Durango yesterday and happened to be driving by the facility today...just at noon before the lunch time peeps got there. In and out with a total of five minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts