Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hes a 4 year old shire horse gelding about 18 hands tall he should finish around 19 hands.
For those that dont know a hand is roughly 4 inches... I believe.
A shire horse is a draft horse breed that was used in England to carry to armored knights way back in the day.
im 6'2 and this horse makes me look small, he weighs around 2000 pounds.
Now I just have to figure out what to do with a horse.
I have a trainer come in to work with him and shes a rather small lady but she gets full respect from him.
When I try to do anything with him he pushes me around somewhat.
Its not too bad, I can get him to do what hes supposed to but he keep challenging me and he looks at me with this look that says 'im going to eat you'
other horse guys in the area tell me I may be confident on the outside but the horse can see whats on the inside. I agree because in the inside im thinking oh gawd please dont step on me.
Anyway ill post some pictures when I can.

·
Administrator
39,354 Posts
Impressive! But remember, wherever you can make his nose go, the rest will follow. :thumb:

·
Registered
373 Posts
So are we gonna see you on "Full Metal Jousting" soon?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Riding a shire will make it easy to run straddling a line of barells. By the time your legs get bowed to fit it you will be down to 5'2''. Do you have blue eyes? :)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Can't wait to see pics of this magnificent horse.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Sir, you need to become the ALPHA, with your horse. He is going to push back (figuratively) until he knows you will not take it, and are the boss. That is why the trainer can get him to do everything. He wants you to be the boss, but he will not make it easy.

How do I know, well 3 horses here on the farm, 3 different breeds, and the ALPHA horse always want to try to be the boss. But now he just trys occasionally early in the morning before he gets out of the barn for the day.

I love the personalities of all our horses, and each is different as day and night.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just keep repeating, "Dog Food, Dog Food". Maybe he'll get the idea.
LOL no doubt. Hes not really that bad he does eventually listen to me he just puts up a struggle.
I figure I will get the hang of this eventually.
I try to be the alpha and im confidant on the outside and I figured on the inside as well. Theres just something about me I guess when I try to be the boss he just seems give me the "yeah right" reaction.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Horses are great animals! You just have to let him know you are the boss as others have said. I've had a quick, loud, forceful "Hey, listen to me" work. I don't think they understand english, but the tone seems to translate just fine! :)

We have been looking into getting a couple as well, but we have to get 3, one for each of us!

Enjoy, and get ready to spend alot more on feed, vets, saddles, shoes, tack.... !

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Horses are great animals! You just have to let him know you are the boss as others have said. I've had a quick, loud, forceful "Hey, listen to me" work. I don't think they understand english, but the tone seems to translate just fine! :)

We have been looking into getting a couple as well, but we have to get 3, one for each of us!

Enjoy, and get ready to spend alot more on feed, vets, saddles, shoes, tack.... !
SHHH! Your not supposed to let out the secret, of horse ownership, BANKRUPTCY!!!

·
Registered
31,688 Posts
The only horse I ever had was a 1987 Mustang GT and somehow I managed to live through it!

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Ive had a lot of experience with horses. This is what i have learned;

They are eating, shitting machines. Unless you have work for the horse, they are too expensive to have just for a pet.
An old cowboy in Montana told me, "Never fully trust a horse." He was correct.
Its not a question of "if" you will get hurt, its just a question of "when." Dont blame the horse..they are just being a horse.

All that said, I love horses. Magnificent animals.....I no longer own any..but i have more good memories than bad.....I hope you enjoy yours!

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Ive had a lot of experience with horses. This is what i have learned;

They are eating, shitting machines. Unless you have work for the horse, they are too expensive to have just for a pet.
An old cowboy in Montana told me, "Never fully trust a horse." He was correct.
Its not a question of "if" you will get hurt, its just a question of "when." Dont blame the horse..they are just being a horse.

All that said, I love horses. Magnificent animals.....I no longer own any..but i have more good memories than bad.....I hope you enjoy yours!
Exactly, if you don't have work for em its hard to justify the expense. I got rid of the last of mine a couple of years ago when my son got off of his roping kick. It was a lot of fun, but got to the point where I was just maintaining them and its a big expense. Especially with last year's drought in Texas, hay prices are out of sight.

With a young horse like yours you need to pick up some training tips (will boost your confidence also), google "horse training how to bend". Lots of good vids and reading on this and its the method I've found most effective. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My big friend took me riding a few years ago. He was on a big dappled horse. I got to ride a beautiful brown Arabian. We got along fine. I admired that horse almost enough to buy it. Almost.
Oh, yeah, I hurt for a week afterward.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, I grew up with horses and when I look at one I only see a lot of work. They need to be worked with on a daily basis and they require a lot of upkeep. I like to ride, but I'm not into keeping one unless I needed to ride him everyday for the job, like running a farm, or something along those lines. People who have other people working and upkeeping their horse will never truly be the master of that horse, it takes a personal relationship built on everyday contact. JMHO

Reactions: trooperc7

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great thread! Our neighbor not only bred Shires and Percherons, but he actually used them for working his 300 acres of Timothy hay.
I grew up on a horse ranch too, in fact born and raised there. My parents are still in the old family home. I thought you might appreciate a few photos ofm the old place.
This is Dad just 5 minutes after he broke what turned out to be his favorite and very long term saddlehorse. He was out of a Palomino American Saddler and a very tall Appaloosa, born on the Shonkin river east of the divide. His name was Shonkin, of course.

If you look close you can see the Bosal he used for breaking horses. You never use a bit for that.

My sister on on of her supposed Ponies. They were never actually ponies, but more like small horses. She was 5 here and had been riding for two years.

This is Mom and Dad just a few months before Dad broke Mom's Morgan mare. Guess who Ma is carrying in front of her. :D

Dad ran some 26 Morgan mares,4 ranch geldings and a stud horse on the place. Lost Prairie is still my favorite place to be.

Reactions: Blackcatbones
1 - 20 of 35 Posts