Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
However, when did it get so expensive to DIY paint a room. We have been living with paint swatches on various walls in the house for better than a month now. Finally got it down to a couple of choices with a good bit of feedback via my interior decorator Jake. Headed down to Lowes this afternoon with paint color swatches in hand, asked a bunch of questions........in return got even more education. Learned about the different price points and what differences or expectations of each would be. Was told that the most expensive paint is not always the best choice given it was a repaint of an interior walls that were in good condition to begin with....IE: no smokers, kids, pets and such. Went with the middle of the line in an Egg Shale finish which is the first step up the gloss ladder from Flat.

As the associate mixed my 4 gallons of paint, we headed off to pick up supplies, some KILZ, brushes, drop cloths, and such. As we checked out I was kind of surprised that my total bill came to $385 Wholly Molley.

So tomorrow I start with the rear entry foyer, a smaller room of 10' x 14' or so with basic 8' ceiling height. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

Oh, and FWIW, I was told that the all in one paints really only amounted to being a thicker paint for better coverage. There is no real primer to the paint product it self. And that primer is basically a base coat to ensure better coverage and color results. That a true primer would be to use an actual Primer such as KILZ to seal the surface and provide a better adhesion of the paint itself.

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
I hate painting with a passion...

·
Registered
15,646 Posts

·
Registered
31,917 Posts
I find painting rather relaxing, other than cutting in, having to get on my knees. I didn't get on my knees when accepting my current bride of nearly 34 years proposal and see little need in doing it now, other than cutting in! She can do that part. Yesterday, we were emptying an old water bed mattress and the bride said she would do anything I wanted other than suck on the hose to drain the damned thing, which I immediately replied that she wasn't good on that. At least she is good on cutting in!

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Did you pick up any TSP? A wash with tri-sodium phosphate will go a long way toward ensuring good adhesion.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
I find painting rather relaxing, other than cutting in, having to get on my knees. I didn't get on my knees when accepting my current bride of nearly 34 years proposal and see little need in doing it now, other than cutting in! She can do that part. Yesterday, we were emptying an old water bed mattress and the bride said she would do anything I wanted other than suck on the hose to drain the damned thing, which I immediately replied that she wasn't good on that. At least she is good on cutting in!
Jake, ya gotta know when to fold 'em and know when to hold 'em. You made the wrong choice there! :D

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I love painting. I made a lot of money at it When I was remodeling for a living it was the one thing I wouldn't "Sub out" It gave me a last chance to check everything and it was sort of my "gravy money". It also had a great effect on what the customers thought about the overall job so I wanted to make sure it was "just right". I did a lot of Victorian-era restorations, with "gingerbread" and such so there was a lot of money to be made in the painting if you could do it right. Of course, the prep, which is a large percentage of a quality job, was a chore.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'm jealous of you leftcoast. I've wanted to do renovations for a while now, although I would need some training... Working with my hands is something I love doing, but don't get to do too much sitting in front of a computer all day

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
When draining a waterbed just hook up the end to the bed, then hook the other end to the faucet and fill the hose with water. It should start draining on its own.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Final painting lesson:

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I'm jealous of you leftcoast. I've wanted to do renovations for a while now, although I would need some training... Working with my hands is something I love doing, but don't get to do too much sitting in front of a computer all day
I grew up around it. My Mom owned an antique shop and Dad, when he got home from his job as a Carpentry foreman, would work on restoring the antique furniture, when we weren't working on a house. We come from a long line of carpenters and I learned using my Great grandfather's tools. When I decided to pick up a side trade "Something different than Dad's" I became a painter. (Yah big difference) so I and one of the guys from Dad's painting crew started a company. When my partner got himself in all kinds of divorce problems I ended up with the business and "branched back out" into what I'd been doing all along Remodeling, millwork, finish carpentry and added the painting and later became a certified "Hard Surface Mechanic" (Linoleum, formica, tile, Corian etc). It gave me the ability to find good sub contractors and evaluate their work, or do it myself if I couldn't, couldn't schedule it or someone failed.

I bought the equipment as soon as I could to make my own moldings and trim so I could control the material, the quality, cost and profit.

Doing all of it took its toll on my body however. Glad I was able to retire before I had to become an "office boss" because that would have driven me nuts.

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Heck, you can learn to do anything on the internet.
You can even learn to be a French model!

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Heck, you can learn to do anything on the internet.
You can even learn to be a French model!
Or you can just say you already know everything and save the trouble, after all, it's the internet you can be and do whatever your imagination and ego require.

·
Registered
31,917 Posts
Or you can just say you already know everything and save the trouble, after all, it's the internet you can be and do whatever your imagination and ego require.
Only if you never plan on attending a Taurus get together....no one believed I was Jake3501 at Sand Lake when I showed up at 5'8" instead of being 6'7"! Even Texheim accused me of being a fraud. That accusation still causes me pain! Great pain!

·
Registered
889 Posts
It takes me a half a day to tape the areas that I don't want painted and another half a day to clean the paint from under the tape after I finish painting.
I hate painting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts