Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Obama administration has recently tightened restrictions on the recent importation of antique ivory. New ivory has been banned from importation and sale since 1979. So antique ivory, or ivory collected before that date was the only thing people could deal in. With the new rules coming into place you can no longer import antique ivory, moreover if you are in possesion of "antique" ivory, you need to now prove that it's antique in order to remain in posession of it. In the past the usfws needed to prove that your Ivory was not antique. The next phase in their plans will be the ban of sale of antique Ivory within the U.S. What this has to do with all of us? Well if you inherit a gun from gramps with Ivory grips, you may just have to remove the grips to stay in possesion of it, or at worst you lose the gun despite the fact that it's an antique. Moreover those of us with deep pockets and like to have pistols with Ivory grips and spent money to have them that money you spent just went down the drain since there is no legal way to sell that Ivory grip. In any case if you come across anybody selling Ivory grips you need to make damn sure you can legally own it before you land in hot water. And since the U.S. fish and wildlife service has the authority to change their minds on this any minute, it would behoove all of you to check their website before you regret your future purchases.

·
Registered
14,651 Posts
you can challenge the law he wants to pass by stating it's the prosecutions duty to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the ivory you have isn't pre-ban. I know the CITES BS they've been playing with. It hits the home aquaria folks constantly.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
i wonder what they will do with all the ivory they collect... I cant see it being destroyed. I see it going to the financial elite as "spoils".

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the British royal family incinerated the pieces they did not donate to a museum, so I think the washington elites will probably do the same. Things get diceyer when they want to move to ban fossil Ivory, so things that have been dead longer than written language now can't be bought or sold.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Shakes head. Don't law makers have anything better to do? (Sarcasm)

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
This is yet more meaningless legislation, impossible to enforce. The only thing it can do is make it where you cant sell or import ivory legally. I.e. when you report it, and intend to pay taxes on it, not when you sell it on craigslist and pocket the cash.
I will admit that fine goods traders will be affected, but the average joe wont even notice it, and will still play pool with the ivory pool balls they got from there grandfather.

This is like a weapons ban, or even a high capacity magazine ban, its just meaningless, it cannot be enforced because the manpower to do so does not exist, even for nazi states where it is ran by crazy people and the people who would do the enforcing are just as crazy, sure they might be willing, but they wont have the manpower to pull it off, so at most, and i mean at most, they will get like 5% of the states whatever they wanted to confiscate, before social media will spread the word of what is going on, and people will hide what they don't want stolen. Without a record of you owning it, they have no proof, heck they could even have a picture off facebook, or your background check form that has the weapons serial number on it, showing you owning it, and all you have to say is, i lost it, sold it, gave it away, destroyed it, had a boating accident, whatever you wanted to say. the burden of proof is on them. and with it well hidden, they wont find said proof.

The only way to ever be able to get all of whatever from anywhere, is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. All at once, state or nationwide. That is impossible.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Bubba's .89¢ cap indicates color spray painted plastic cap gun grips don't fool Gubber the guberment guy. He will even get grannys ivory soap from her bathroom.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I used to replace customer's broken ivory keys with scrapped keys from pianos that got thrown away. It would be easy enough to prove age by documenting the serial number of the piano, but the days of helping people replace broken ivory keys is gone (usually a freebie). I decided it's not worth messing with any more. Small consolation...they're manufacturing ivory-looking replacement tops these days that are pretty attractive. The days of free replacements from scrap pianos are gone though. It's pretty stupid.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The issue is not a nation wide hunt for any outlawed substance or thing. The law being on the books gives the ability to arrest. The cost to fight any issue in our legal system can bankrupt a rich person over time. To fight the government over any issue can turn into a financial nightmare. Should they freeze your bank accounts, etc. You could be a screwed pooch. It is not always up to them to prove anything. A lawyer friend gave a good example. You are charged with a crime that happened 10 years ago. At that point how many people know where they were and what they were doing that long ago. Say you bought something at auction and there is a record. They have proof you had something. In a court of law you have legal rebuttal. Your Honor, I ain't got it and have no proof just take my word for it. DUH.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What makes this monumentally stupid is the Ivory ban actually harms conservation efforts. African nations fund their conservation efforts by legally harvesting Ivory and selling it. Now the US and other 'do-gooder' nations tell them they can't sell their harvest so they shoot the animals and close the parks.

But they meant well.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Its amazing that these people can find nothing better to do with their time...

·
Registered
14,710 Posts
I wish everyone would just band together and tell the government to eff off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts