Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I picked up my 809 last night. So far, I love it. The trigger reminds me of how great the trigger was on my PT92 that I sold to fund my 709. I was just getting back into firearms and wanted to keep the net cash layout minimal, but I wish I'd have kept it. So, the trigger is GREAT. The balance is fantastic. The fit in my hand is probably something I need to get used to (feels "too big" compared to my 709, but that makes total sense). I'm a right hand shot, but my father and my bro-in-law are lefties so I'm excited to let them shoot it. I think they'll really like it.

So, when I bought my 709, my other new Taurus purchase, it must have been pre-cleaned by the shop I got it from because I didn't see any of the legendary packing grease and grease coating on the 709 like I'm seeing on this 809. Last night I stripped it down and sprayed every nook and cranny with Winchester "Break Free CLP", let it sit a few minutes and then used a fairly soft brush to clean in between all the moving parts I could get at. Then I wiped everything dry with a clean rag. I did this twice and I'm considering a third round today. Anything else I should do to get this thing range ready? I was amazed that even the outside of the slide even had grease caked here and there. What's your "Brand New Gun Cleaning Routine"?

Reactions: andreew and kaiged1

·
Registered
432 Posts
Congrats man, I am glad that you feel good about your purchase. I have never cleaned a gun, the Khar I bought 9 years ago was new but it didn't come with any packing grease in it, because I asked the guy at the gun shop to clean and polish it for me and he was a nice guy and didn't charge me a bench fee for that. Also he trimmed back the trigger pull for me because he felt it was a bit tight, So it was nice and smooth when I got it the next day. I really miss that gun and wish it haddn't been destroyed by fire before I could break it in and after only 2 months of ownership. I really should have sent it in to be replaced because now I know that most Khar products have a NQA warranty policy, Ohh the mistakes we make when we are young and inexperienced..... But I am thinking that the PT809 will be a much better gun to learn with.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The reason the PT809 is slathered in goo is due to the gun's three week boat trip to get from Brazil to the United States.That is a decent spell inside of a containership on the salty marine high seas, so I can understand why Taurus would bathe the pistol in grease for the long trip.The PT709 I believe is made stateside in Miami, so there is no need for such packing grease on that pistol.

Congrats on selecting the PT809.Its trigger is one of the best on the market for polymer service pistols.

It is good that you cleaned the pistol as you have, but the next thing I would do-and in fact did on my own PT809-would be to dip the end of a a rag or a Q-tip in Breakfree, CLP, Hoppe #9, or whichever solvent you prefer and run it along the trigger bar and in between the levers and works at the back of the frame.The packing grease can be very difficult to see inside the frame as the grease is dark and the frame and parts are black , so on first inspection the interior will appear to be normal.

I believed I was done cleaning the gun until I ran a wet rag of No. 9 on the trigger bar by chance and noticed there was a 'chunk' missing!

Once that procedure is done, the next step in cleaning the firearm is loading two full mags and taking 'er out to the range.One must ensure the packing grease you missed in the barrel is cleaned out somehow .

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition of the PT809!

Obligatory "proof of purchase" pics are expected, you know :rolleyes:...but we'll let you slide until after you take it out to shoot!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'm going to try again to post a pic of this thing...

2012-01-28_01-07-03_643.jpg

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is good that you cleaned the pistol as you have, but the next thing I would do-and in fact did on my own PT809-would be to dip the end of a a rag or a Q-tip in Breakfree, CLP, Hoppe #9, or whichever solvent you prefer and run it along the trigger bar and in between the levers and works at the back of the frame.The packing grease can be very difficult to see inside the frame as the grease is dark and the frame and parts are black , so on first inspection the interior will appear to be normal.

I believed I was done cleaning the gun until I ran a wet rag of No. 9 on the trigger bar by chance and noticed there was a 'chunk' missing!
ST: Did you have any issues with the trigger resetting to double action? Whether I start in single or double action, once in a while after a dry fire the trigger does not want to fully reset to double action. I think I've got a little more cleaning to do...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some have the grease and some do not, my PT840 was caked goo but my PT609 had next to none. Must be the worker at the plant.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 845 did have a bit of packing grease tho not as much as yours by the sounds of it, I've only had it out to the range the once so far and I cleaned it before I took it out and I had no problems with it at all even tho I was using reloads. havent found any grease on the lower internals so guess I'm good to go.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ST: Did you have any issues with the trigger resetting to double action? Whether I start in single or double action, once in a while after a dry fire the trigger does not want to fully reset to double action. I think I've got a little more cleaning to do...
I had the same issue with the trigger reset. It was not fully resetting to double action after I release the trigger. Found out that the Spring pushing the trigger bar up was binding (part 57 and 58 of the exploded view in the manual). I took apart the trigger assembly and the hammer assembly and found grease inside the hole for the spring. When I disassembled the hammer group found more grease in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts