Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AR-9 that takes Glock mags.
Build is on a new M4inc. LLC billet upper and lower. (while subject to be wrong my best guess is the lower is made by New Frontier)
Built with new Foxtrot Mike 16” barrel and bolt, learned on an earlier 6.5 Grendel build get the barrel and the bolt from the same people.
Using an A2 stock with a spacer for carbine Guntec 8.2 oz carbine buffer and carbine buffer spring. Set up also ran fine with a Tubb’s buffer spring and a standard rifle buffer. DPMS trigger components and a used Houge free float forearm.
Have 2 KCI hi-cap mags that run fine.
The gun does not have LRBHO but from what I’ve seen on these guns that system seems iffy on working. AR bolt release is nowhere near the mag so it creates issues trying to get a working system.
We test fired the gun and it runs flawlessly and plenty accurate. There are a lot of stories about problems with these but this gun is not reinventing the wheel it’s just a simple blow back action like a 22 semi-auto. One story was they won’t run hollow points, this one does.
The gun is shown with my old Millett 1-4 DMS I may go to a red dot in the future.
Why 9mm?: cost and availability of both build components and ammo. 9mm is a good all around cartridge for HD and all PCCs shooting matches are scored as minor so there is no advantage in using a 40, 45, or 10. High cap 33 round mags are about $14.99 each.
Why A2 stock, DPMS trigger group, and Houge forearm?: all of these are good quality parts and are on hand from take offs of other AR builds or mods to other guns so cut the build cost. As far as the A2 stock is concerned my height and arm length hasn’t changed much and in my mid 60s don’t see that happening. I don’t ever wear body armor and some adjustable stocks are a little shakey. If you prefer a carbine type stock the buffer and buffer spring are in this gun and can be changed without any issues.
I just used a thread protector at the muzzle. A 9mm out of a 16” barrel isn’t going to have a lot of muzzle flash plus the simple fact most people don’t do a lot of night fire anyway. When you think about it to me flash suppressors are kind of useless other than most people are use to seeing them on AR platform guns. I have been giving this some more thought and may change to a brake brake at some point the scoring is done down to .01 of a second so it might make some difference.
Why any AR build or anything with the term Glock?: well seeing how the AR platform and Glocks are blamed by the anti gun forces for every evil in the world up to and including bad weather seemed like a great choice for a 2nd Amendment supporter.
Build cost was just a hair over $500.00 but that is only because I had so many parts off other AR mods or builds without that the build would have been about $750.00 plus optics.
Test was fired at 22 yards with some of my sons reloads. 1st three were a little off knob turn put them on the dot (hard to see but there is a white dot paster on the paper that shines in the sun light).
Special Note: told the wife when I started the build I was going to sell it, so I’ve put it up for sale on a site at a price that may not seem too practical to some people. Make of this and the pricing what you will.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked long and hard at the Rugers and for the cost would have gone that way if I didn't have a pile of AR parts on hand.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Nice rifle. I have an A1 length fixed stock. I would be perfectly fine with a fixed stock, but I have to think about my family so we also have an adjustable stocked carbine. The Ar9 has been growing on me. The only things giving me pause are the fact that I already have a 9mm PCC and I would rather have a SIG MPX over an AR9. Because of the above to factors I know it is down the list below a .300BLK pistol, .22 Nosler Barrel swap, and an AR10 .308.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My son picked up a PSA one with the carbine stock that his wife loves shooting steel challenge matches with, my wife won't even pick up a 22 so it would be a waste of time for me.
As I said a lot of the parts used were maybe not my 1st choice just things I had on hand so I didn't have to buy them. I saw a version I really like and have been playing with getting a 2nd build underway just for poops and grins.
7063487_01_ar9_dissipator_rifle__640.jpg

Reactions: jwc007 and Yissnakk

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Been starting to think about an AR-9 build - 10.5" pistol is starting to sound really nice....

Great rifle! Thanks for instigating...

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Premium Member
13,395 Posts
Been starting to think about an AR-9 build - 10.5" pistol is starting to sound really nice....

Great rifle! Thanks for instigating...
For a long time I've had the urge to do a .45 acp.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nothing is ever done in gun stuff till you run out of money or time.
AR9 build is an ongoing project. added carbine stock, muzzle brake, counterfeit Bushnell red dot (holds zero and works for $25.00 from ebay). and most importantly a 3.5 lb. trigger.
Stock, brake, and dot didn't do much to make the gun more useful but the trigger is a game changer.
going from 8+lbs. to 3.5 lbs makes it seem like a new very shoot able gun. AAO sells these at a more than reasonable price got it at $81.10 shipped off gunboker.
current configuration:

Attachments

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
There are a few dedicated pistol caliber lowers out there, and I would advocate using any of them over any of the magwell inserts. 9mm or 40 S&W will both work with any of the 9mm lowers. For .45ACP you will need a dedicated .45ACP lower. PSA has the parts for a .45ACP PCC, but they are just about always out of stock.

9mmARs.jpg

I have 2 of the AR9 pistols, one that takes Colt mags and one that takes Glock Mags. I like them both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts